Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 AM

322 posts, read 547,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Doesn't that swing both ways, though?

And the problem when it doesn't is one that the woman of whom you speak will suffer from. That person likely won't be so generous to the next person down the line, keeping in mind the last time, when they (metaphorically) were spit at for doing it. And maybe that will be a person who would have been grateful for the offering. But now, they won't get it.
Understandable, but unfair. Like all demographics you cannot paint a population via the actions/behaviors of one. My family and I have volunteered at a homeless shelter every Friday night for the past few years and the one thing I've learned is that every person in that room has a story, we may not be able to relate to their point of view but that doesn't invalidate it.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
Understandable, but unfair. Like all demographics you cannot paint a population via the actions/behaviors of one. My family and I have volunteered at a homeless shelter every Friday night for the past few years and the one thing I've learned is that every person in that room has a story, we may not be able to relate to their point of view but that doesn't invalidate it.
But again, we are talking about Turquoise1's story of panhandling and Metlakatla story of one person she knows of as homeless.

You have to differentiate between the two and you cannot always do that. In my experience with people who panhandle at bus stops, regardless of whether homeless or just out for cash, the manner in which I have been accosted time and time again tells me they are looking for money and not a ride.

They often want instant cash and are too impatient to sell the tickets even when they do know they can.

When I used to work downtown I would see people, especially kids, hanging outside McDonald's or Carl Jr's. looking as though they could use a meal. Once in awhile I would eat at one of those places so I would buy some burgers for them. They never threw them back in my face.

When you experience this kind of stuff day after day, you get a feeling for whether or not you are being played.

One thing about being homeless in which you are absolutely correct is right here on this board that are two great examples.

On the one hand you have a person who is now homeless in his early forties who claims he wants to be alone in the woods and only come to town for "services" did we all forget the part where he said that originally? So while he says he wants to be free from the Society he rages against, he has no compunction whatsoever in living off that same Society all the while blasting it for all his woes.

In other words, he feels the world owes him a living and he is angry because he is not getting it.

On the other hand, we have a poster, Hamellr, who has told us his story about being homeless having lived in woods and streets who has ultimately picked himself up and become successful in what he does.

The entire situation of being homeless is a very complicated situation. Sometimes temporary, sometimes permanent. Sometimes forced and sometimes a choice. Not everyone's story is going to be the same.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So while he says he wants to be free from the Society he rages against, he has no compunction whatsoever in living off that same Society all the while blasting it for all his woes.

In other words, he feels the world owes him a living and he is angry because he is not getting it.

On the other hand, we have a poster, Hamellr, who has told us his story about being homeless having lived in woods and streets who has ultimately picked himself up and become successful in what he does.

The entire situation of being homeless is a very complicated situation. Sometimes temporary, sometimes permanent. Sometimes forced and sometimes a choice. Not everyone's story is going to be the same.
Yep. Dont bite the hand that feeds

Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,416 times
This is how I feel. It's unfortunate, but it's true.
I realize that a lot of people are down on their luck. But why should they act totally ungrateful when I make a donation to them? I am not made of money by any means...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Doesn't that swing both ways, though?

And the problem when it doesn't is one that the woman of whom you speak will suffer from. That person likely won't be so generous to the next person down the line, keeping in mind the last time, when they (metaphorically) were spit at for doing it. And maybe that will be a person who would have been grateful for the offering. But now, they won't get it.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You have to differentiate between the two and you cannot always do that. In my experience with people who panhandle at bus stops, regardless of whether homeless or just out for cash, the manner in which I have been accosted time and time again tells me they are looking for money and not a ride.

On the one hand you have a person who is now homeless in his early forties who claims he wants to be alone in the woods and only come to town for "services" did we all forget the part where he said that originally? So while he says he wants to be free from the Society he rages against, he has no compunction whatsoever in living off that same Society all the while blasting it for all his woes.

You have a point when it comes to the manner in which you are addressed for sure. I unfortunately can't relate to being accosted due to my response to innappropriate behavior, "Yo buddy, I suggest you back off and take it somewhere else", is wildly effective. I do understand that aggressiveness isn't an option for everyone..point ceded.

You and I both agree that the OP is attempting to game the system and needs to rejoin the real world. Earlier in the thread when told that the Park Rangers use thermal cameras he said something about having special camping equipment that can beat them. Now I've never shopped these items myself but I can't imagine they're cheap.

All I'm saying is that my life has been enriched by the people I've met and the experiences I've shared with those I serve on Fridays. Sometimes all that separates us and them is one bad break. It takes a village y'know?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
All I can say is that if you don't feel as if you have been given a sufficient show of gratitude when you distribute largesse on the street, stop doing it. Your not doing so probably won't affect anyone's life but your own; you'll lose the resentment over feeling taken advantage of. Homeless people/people who panhandle don't always have the social graces that we would wish them to have. It's probably a pretty dehumanizing way to live, and I imagine that manners are one of the first things to be overlooked.

Hitchhiking to southeastern Oregon would be more of a death sentence for some people than an option. I think I read somewhere that the Hammel has held a black belt for a long time....or am I thinking about someone else? Anyway, I don't think it's safe for anyone to hitchhike, but it's even more dangerous for certain people.

My only real point was was that if I ended up homeless suddenly, I would have no idea what a bus pass is worth or where or how to sell it. I can also imagine being so overwhelmed by the situation that I would fail to probably thank the person who gave it to me. Of course, that's all conjecture, but there isn't anything wrong with trying to see things through the eyes of those who have ended up in horrible situations in life.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-07-2013 at 01:10 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
All I can say is that if you don't feel as if you have been given a sufficient show of gratitude when you distribute largesse on the street, stop doing it. Your not doing so probably won't affect anyone's life but your own; you'll lose the resentment over feeling taken advantage of. Homeless people/people who panhandle don't always have the social graces that we would wish them to have. It's probably a pretty dehumanizing way to live, and I imagine that manners are one of the first things to be overlooked.

Hitchhiking to southeastern Oregon would be more of a death sentence for some people than an option. I think I read somewhere that the Hammel has held a black belt for a long time....or am I thinking about someone else? Anyway, I don't think it's safe for anyone to hitchhike, but it's even more dangerous for certain people.

My only real point was was that if I ended up homeless suddenly, I would have no idea what a bus pass is worth or where or how to sell it. I can also imagine being so overwhelmed by the situation that I would fail to probably thank the person who gave it to me. Of course, that's all conjecture, but there isn't anything wrong with trying to see things through the eyes of those who have ended up in horrible situations in life.
Hear hear! In addition to, let's not pretend that we're Mother Theresa by dropping a buck on someone..if you're doing it for gratitude then you should look for alternative enrichment.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,416 times
I'm not looking for someone to bow down to me, I just don't want to be spat at.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
You said that she "practically threw it on the ground," not that she spat at you. One more time, I'm simply trying to tell you that there's a chance she had no idea of what to do with the bus ticket, where to sell it, etc.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,292 times
The best way to support them is not giving cash and not let them get away with unruly conduct, like using our Forest Park as a ground for drunken tweaking safe haven. If there isn't much cops now and signs of encampment or drug use become pervasive in our beautiful Forest park, you can help this by making reports to ParkScan Portland and hopefully the ranger and police presence will increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland