Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times

Advertisements

In my experience, it does not require a card to use internet at the library. I've done it all around the U.S., and never once been asked for a card.

Of course you can't get a cardwithout an address. That allows you to take items out of the library, and you kind of have to show you pay some of the taxes that support the library in order to do that. But anyone can use the resources in the library for free. Or at shelters, work centers, etc.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
You just need a guest pass to use the library internet, not a card. To get a guest pass you don't need an address or to be from the area. And many people who DO get a card and are homeless use the address of the shelter they're staying at.

Homeless people are NOT denied access at the libraries in Portland.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,356 times
Definitely not - on the contrary, they are encouraged to use the facilities (which I am sure is a big help).

One place that really helps the homeless is the state-of-the-art Bud Clark Commons. There are several computers with Internet access there.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM

135 posts, read 222,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Definitely not - on the contrary, they are encouraged to use the facilities (which I am sure is a big help).

One place that really helps the homeless is the state-of-the-art Bud Clark Commons. There are several computers with Internet access there.
Well I've been in quite a FEW states(including Nevada) where if you didn't have a card, you can't even LOG ON to have access, never heard of a "guest pass", and they are most definitely NOT available here! Its either a library card(with attached bar code) or no access for many.. Perhaps it is different in Oregon, not sure.. But I have no netbook, so I can access the net at ANY Mcds, BK, etc... Its called thinking ahead(I learned it from chess tournaments, hehe)..

Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
You also can go to the cafeteria at Good Samaritan Hospital, their computers are free to the Public. You can just sit down and log in.

Also the Orgeon State unemployment office has computer banks. They allow the public to use them. I did when I was out of work and I wasn't signed up for unemployment compensation.

It looks as if there are lots of good alternatives here.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You also can go to the cafeteria at Good Samaritan Hospital, their computers are free to the Public. You can just sit down and log in.

Also the Orgeon State unemployment office has computer banks. They allow the public to use them. I did when I was out of work and I wasn't signed up for unemployment compensation.

It looks as if there are lots of good alternatives here.
But then there would be no reason for the homeless to get a laptop! Oh the humanity

Old 06-09-2013, 04:44 PM

347 posts, read 669,953 times
You guys really think it's cheaper to keep a half dozen redundant government programs open than to donate a used laptop to a homeless person?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
You guys really think it's cheaper to keep a half dozen redundant government programs open than to donate a used laptop to a homeless person?
But these are not redundant government programs and they do not just serve the homeless. Bud Clark Commons is an apartment complex that is designed for working people who are low to middle income people as well as the poor. The majority of people who live there pay rent. It has private as well as government subsidies. Libraries serve everyone. The computer bank at Good Samaritan Medical Complex serves patients, doctors, nurses and all staff but the Pulbic are welcome use them too. They sit in the cafeteria available to everyone. The Oregon Office of Employment helps people find jobs as well as processes checks and gives job counseling and training, that's why they have their computer system with job listings.

Where are you getting half dozen government job programs out of this? I have to ask, do you live in Portland?

Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 PM

135 posts, read 222,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
Yes, yes they do.. But that's the kind of thinking that seems to be common on this board.. Not really understanding what its truly like for the wandering homeless, all the little details and practical needs they have to deal with on a minute to minute basis.. Guess you would have to BE there to truly understand!

Old 06-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Yes, yes they do.. But that's the kind of thinking that seems to be common on this board.. Not really understanding what its truly like for the wandering homeless, all the little details and practical needs they have to deal with on a minute to minute basis.. Guess you would have to BE there to truly understand!
Don't speak for me please, Johnny. I can and have answer for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland