Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 06:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the library. Although I have no idea what the Portland library is like, I've been in a few in smaller communities that yes, you do need a card, and you have to sign up in advance for time. I used one once for a couple of weeks the wait time to get an hour on a computer was about a week. You also needed two pieces of ID to get a card.

Quote:
You guys really think it's cheaper to keep a half dozen redundant government programs open than to donate a used laptop to a homeless person?
I honestly don't see why they think it's any of their business what someone else has.

I hope that those of you who seem to feel some sort of weird carte blanche to behave in a rude manner in public toward someone who may be less fortunate than you will keep in mind that there is a very good chance that the person you're giving some "serious side eye" to is a veteran of the armed forces who fought for your rights to act like judgmental fools on the Internet.

Seriously, what does it take away from any of your lives if some homeless guy has a mini laptop?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-09-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 PM

347 posts, read 669,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Where are you getting half dozen government job programs out of this? I have to ask, do you live in Portland?
I didn't say government job programs. I just said government programs, referring to the public library and other locations you mentions that offer free computer use. Maybe they aren't all government programs...that was an assumption, but you're right, perhaps that was a bad way to make my point and as you've suspected I don't live in Portland. I started coming here to research where I might want to live when I can afford a move and have been reading the various posts about the area, and commenting occasionally, since then. Usually the first thing I do in a discussion is say I'm not from Portland - I might have forgotten that here but if I did it's only because I think the main issue here isn't location specific. There are homeless all over the country and many of them have laptops.

I just don't understand why this is an issue. Why exactly does it irk people so much that a homeless person has a laptop? Does it just make it seem like they haven't done everything possible to get themselves a home? How would selling their laptop help that process? It's only going to get them a little bit of money and a little bit of money is only going to get them a few things...what they really need is a job. Having a laptop drastically helps this process and depending on your experience it can be the means through which you earn that employment (writers, designers, programmers, etc...). You aren't going to be able to design a website on a library computer. You'll also run into issues like time limits, website restrictions, and overcrowding on library computers.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 PM

135 posts, read 222,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
I didn't say government job programs. I just said government programs, referring to the public library and other locations you mentions that offer free computer use. Maybe they aren't all government programs...that was an assumption, but you're right, perhaps that was a bad way to make my point and as you've suspected I don't live in Portland. I started coming here to research where I might want to live when I can afford a move and have been reading the various posts about the area, and commenting occasionally, since then. Usually the first thing I do in a discussion is say I'm not from Portland - I might have forgotten that here but if I did it's only because I think the main issue here isn't location specific. There are homeless all over the country and many of them have laptops.

I just don't understand why this is an issue. Why exactly does it irk people so much that a homeless person has a laptop? Does it just make it seem like they haven't done everything possible to get themselves a home? How would selling their laptop help that process? It's only going to get them a little bit of money and a little bit of money is only going to get them a few things...what they really need is a job. Having a laptop drastically helps this process and depending on your experience it can be the means through which you earn that employment (writers, designers, programmers, etc...). You aren't going to be able to design a website on a library computer. You'll also run into issues like time limits, website restrictions, and overcrowding on library computers.
I enforse this post as well.. Kudos to you sir..

Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Well I've been in quite a FEW states(including Nevada) where if you didn't have a card, you can't even LOG ON to have access, never heard of a "guest pass", and they are most definitely NOT available here! Its either a library card(with attached bar code) or no access for many.. Perhaps it is different in Oregon, not sure.. But I have no netbook, so I can access the net at ANY Mcds, BK, etc... Its called thinking ahead(I learned it from chess tournaments, hehe)..
This is the Portland forum. So we're talking about Portland libraries. However, I've been to many states as well and used the library internet via a guest pass. You just have to request one.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Quote:
But these are not redundant government programs and they do not just serve the homeless. Bud Clark Commons is an apartment complex that is designed for working people who are low to middle income people as well as the poor. The majority of people who live there pay rent. It has private as well as government subsidies. Libraries serve everyone. The computer bank at Good Samaritan Medical Complex serves patients, doctors, nurses and all staff but the Pulbic are welcome use them too. They sit in the cafeteria available to everyone. The Oregon Office of Employment helps people find jobs as well as processes checks and gives job counseling and training, that's why they have their computer system with job listings.

Where are you getting half dozen government job programs out of this? I have to ask, do you live in Portland?
Not to pick at this post, but actually Bud Clark Commons was designed for the chronically homeless and apartments were assigned (are assigned) based on the ability of the person to care for themselves on the street. The most severe or fragile homeless (as in mentally ill, cannot make good choices, has a chronic illness) were prioritized above people who are homeless but can advocate for/take care of themselves. It's not a building designed for low income workers or people with middle incomes, it's designed for people who cannot get off the streets and the state was spending a zillion dollars on in emergency care, etc. It's also not a dry building so there is alcohol use, etc. I guess it's a lot cheaper to do this than pay for the services the chronically/fragile homeless required in ERs, etc. Here's a recent article: http://portlandtribune.com/pt/10-opi...-clark-commons

Pearl Court is more like what you described above...

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Do the cops go in there often? Is it common for homeless to sleep in there undisturbed? I have a camo bivy and TINY camo waterproof tent(plus a camo hammock for dry nights).. Whats the chances of being "discovered" by cops sleeping only at night? Waking up at sunrise, and walking into the city for showers, eating, etc? I realize this may not be the best forum for this since most of you on here are probably "professional" types, and not poor people, but I am looking for observations from locals about the area and if its possible to do this without getting rousted? Of course I would leave nothing laying around in the day and switch spots nightly.. Opinions?
You shouldn't do this. There are trolls in those woods.

Well, if you go there, there will be at least one troll, anyway.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:

I'm trying to figure this out too; I guess I just have an analytical interest in it. It seems to me that a small netbook would be the one item most likely to help a homeless person improve his or her situation, and I'm kind of surprised at the resentment that some of the posters here have about that.

The woman I mentioned earlier who I "knew" from a professional organization who somehow ended up homeless makes her living writing; so selling her laptop for the price of a short flophouse stay would have been professional suicide.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-09-2013 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:

Thank you for the clarifications about yourself. I know you didn't mean jobs, I was just those places as sources where computers could be found. The OP in fact stated he had a tablet but somehow it got people changed that into a laptop. There is quite a difference. I don't really care what he has but I think he will have a difficult time charging it in the woods where he wants to live and he has said he rejects shelters.

I don't know if someone can do a whole lot on a tablet, I am not familiar with them.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Not to pick at this post, but actually Bud Clark Commons was designed for the chronically homeless and apartments were assigned (are assigned) based on the ability of the person to care for themselves on the street. The most severe or fragile homeless (as in mentally ill, cannot make good choices, has a chronic illness) were prioritized above people who are homeless but can advocate for/take care of themselves. It's not a building designed for low income workers or people with middle incomes, it's designed for people who cannot get off the streets and the state was spending a zillion dollars on in emergency care, etc. It's also not a dry building so there is alcohol use, etc. I guess it's a lot cheaper to do this than pay for the services the chronically/fragile homeless required in ERs, etc. Here's a recent article: http://portlandtribune.com/pt/10-opi...-clark-commons

Pearl Court is more like what you described above...
Well then I stand corrected and apparently I did get the two confused. So thank you.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 PM

135 posts, read 222,390 times
Quote:
Thank you for the clarifications about yourself. I know you didn't mean jobs, I was just those places as sources where computers could be found. The OP in fact stated he had a tablet but somehow it got people changed that into a laptop. There is quite a difference. I don't really care what he has but I think he will have a difficult time charging it in the woods where he wants to live and he has said he rejects shelters.

I don't know if someone can do a whole lot on a tablet, I am not familiar with them.
Actually I am forced to correct you again.. I have neither a laptop NOR a tablet, I have a NETBOOK! Very cheap, AND EXTREMELY USEFUL for unfortunates in my position.. And just to clarify, I have a personal electric generator that runs on winding, so I can charge my own devices, regardless of where I am.. If you know where to look, they can be found online for around 70$.. So I am very self-sufficient, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland