Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times

Advertisements

The reason it "got changed into a laptop" was because I mentioned that I if I could take one item with me if I had to go and live on the streets, it would be a mini laptop. I think that's the same as a netbook. Then, the squawking and weird, wild accusations of "supporting the OP" on the part of some of those who live on this forum commenced.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 PM

135 posts, read 222,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The reason it "got changed into a laptop" was because I mentioned that I if I could take one item with me if I had to go and live on the streets, it would be a mini laptop. I think that's the same as a netbook. Then, the squawking and weird, wild accusations of "supporting the OP" on the part of some of those who live on this forum commenced.
Yes, agreeing with the poor homeless guy elevates you to pariah status on this board.. Welcome to my world!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That's something I do not miss about working downtown. It seems every year many of those kids got more aggressive and I do not think that a lot were really down and out but just role playing. I used to give food to kids who really looked in need and they would be happy to get it. But when I encountered brats who told me they wanted money, not food, I told them to take it or leave it and they threw it away. That's when I figured they were probably rich kids from the 'burbs playing games or were just kids wanting money for drugs.

Then there was the kid on Hawthorne who threatened me when I wouldn't give him money. I pointed to his expensive looking Nike shoes and told him to go sell those if he was in such a bad way. He slunk off with his friends. I have come to not trust most people who say they are homeless and in need. That includes the OP of this thread.
Many have a home. They just bum to see if they can. As to threats, take 'em down and hold 'em for the police. See how they like the graybar hotel for a night or two.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Unfortunates?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 AM

135 posts, read 222,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Unfortunates?
What would you call us? FORTUNATES? Anyone who's poor, hopelessly destitute, and has no place to sleep safely, I would call that unfortunate.. Am I wrong?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 AM

934 posts, read 1,129,246 times
Of course you can live in the woods. And it's legal within limits. You need to follow regulations, move frequently, follow all camp ground rules, stay under the radar. I did it. People do it. There's no choice sometimes. But there are ways to do it legally and ways to do it illegally.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Of course you can live in the woods. And it's legal within limits. You need to follow regulations, move frequently, follow all camp ground rules, stay under the radar. I did it. People do it. There's no choice sometimes. But there are ways to do it legally and ways to do it illegally.
Not in a Portland City Park.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 AM

322 posts, read 547,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
You don't seem to be understanding me, but having a knee-jerk reaction.

First off, if it's me (or anyone else) giving charity ... who gives a whit whether we do it "fairly" or not? I mean, seriously. It's not fair? What ... if I give one person a handout, do I have to give everyone one, or else, I'm not being faaaaaiiiiir.

All I'm saying, and I would think that you people who seem to be so passionate about the homeless would agree, is that the snotty, ungrateful attitudes of some panhandlers run the risk of ruining things for the homeless who truly need assistance.
I think the lack of understanding is swinging both ways pal.

I'm not talking about the fairness of your "charitable donation" or your chosen method of distribution, we can disagree on principle but don't put words in my mouth. What I was referring to was the pigeon holing of a demographic based on the actions of one or few.

Not all that panhandle are homeless, and not all homeless panhandle.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
Let's all do a City-Data Forest Park campout!

I'll bring the potato salad and a case of PBR...

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Let's all do a City-Data Forest Park campout!

I'll bring the potato salad and a case of PBR...
I will bring a tambourine and hula hoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland