Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
I think the lack of understanding is swinging both ways pal.

I'm not talking about the fairness of your "charitable donation" or your chosen method of distribution, we can disagree on principle but don't put words in my mouth. What I was referring to was the pigeon holing of a demographic based on the actions of one or few.

Not all that panhandle are homeless, and not all homeless panhandle.
First off, I'm not your "pal" so there's no need to be so disrespectful.

I didn't pigeon-hole anyone. Talk about putting words in someone's mouth. I didn't say that no one should give money to panhandlers. I didn't say that all homeless people panhandle. I didn't say that all panhandlers were homeless.

What I said was ... that one bad apple is likely to ruin it for the next guy down the line. So how you or I act around anyone ... in any walk or circumstance of life ... is apt to affect how the next guy down the line gets treated.
  • If you borrow money from a friend, and you don't repay it ... that person probably won't loan the next friend money.

If you someone asks for a handout, and acts ungrateful for what they're given ... the next person may not receive a handout.

If you trust your teenager to stay alone while you're out of town, and he throws a wild party ... you might not trust teenager #2 to do a similar thing.

Our actions don't only affect how we're treated, but very likely how the next guy down the line is treated to. Is that pigeon holing? Not really. It's kind of just learning a life lesson. And no, it's not faaaiiir.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Let's all do a City-Data Forest Park campout!

I'll bring the potato salad and a case of PBR...
I don't drink, so I'll bring some home made rootbeer.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:23 PM

322 posts, read 547,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Doesn't that swing both ways, though?

And the problem when it doesn't is one that the woman of whom you speak will suffer from. That person likely won't be so generous to the next person down the line, keeping in mind the last time, when they (metaphorically) were spit at for doing it. And maybe that will be a person who would have been grateful for the offering. But now, they won't get it.
Since you don't care for pal, let's go with dude. As in dude, really?

If you can stow the righteous indignation for a moment and try to keep up with me here, I'll walk you through it. You posted the above message, to which I replied "understandable, but unfair"..and then we wound up down the rabbit hole somewhere.

I never said you were unfair, in fact I said I understood what you were saying. What I said was it is unfair to pigeon hole a demographic based on the actions of one or few (again see above bolded comments), which is unfair. It was a sociological remark, not a personal slight (or really even a reflection of your personal view or comment), I wasn't the one being a smarta**..until just now.

Last edited by JLay36; 06-10-2013 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: that just wasn't nice..

Old 06-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Just how destitute can a person with daily (all day) access to the internet by PC or Smart Phone, be?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:34 PM

322 posts, read 547,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Just how destitute can a person with daily (all day) access to the internet by PC or Smart Phone, be?
Or thermal imaging resistant camping equipment, this guy is clearly a fraud.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM

looks like it is time to close this thread.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
Since you don't care for pal, let's go with dude. As in dude, really?

If you can stow the righteous indignation for a moment and try to keep up with me here, I'll walk you through it. You posted the above message, to which I replied "understandable, but unfair"..and then we wound up down the rabbit hole somewhere.

I never said you were unfair, in fact I said I understood what you were saying. What I said was it is unfair to pigeon hole a demographic based on the actions of one or few (again see above bolded comments), which is unfair. It was a sociological remark, not a personal slight (or really even a reflection of your personal view or comment), I wasn't the one being a smarta**..until just now.
You didn't? You said this:

Quote:
Understandable, but unfair. Like all demographics you cannot paint a population via the actions/behaviors of one. My family and I have volunteered at a homeless shelter every Friday night for the past few years and the one thing I've learned is that every person in that room has a story, we may not be able to relate to their point of view but that doesn't invalidate it.
And as you addressed it directly to me, you did, in fact, call me unfair.

And you can knock of the patronizing attitude. It's totally uncalled for. And just FYI, I'm a middle-aged woman. I don't think either "pal" or "dude" is appropriate. Not that I expected you to know that. But since you're so above "pigeon holing" people ... you probably shouldn't be assume anything about "a population." And cut the innocent act, anytime that's inserted into a response, you know very well it's meant in a smart-alecky way.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Do the cops go in there often? Is it common for homeless to sleep in there undisturbed? I have a camo bivy and TINY camo waterproof tent(plus a camo hammock for dry nights).. Whats the chances of being "discovered" by cops sleeping only at night? Waking up at sunrise, and walking into the city for showers, eating, etc? I realize this may not be the best forum for this since most of you on here are probably "professional" types, and not poor people, but I am looking for observations from locals about the area and if its possible to do this without getting rousted? Of course I would leave nothing laying around in the day and switch spots nightly.. Opinions?
I live on the east coast, but wanted to wish you well :-) So many look down on the homeless, but the truth be known, they are only a couple pay checks away, maybe even closer. I have high respect for you. God Bless !

Old 06-10-2013, 02:11 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
Quote:
Or thermal imaging resistant camping equipment, this guy is clearly a fraud.

I bet it's a plan to wrap his sleeping bag with tin foil or a mylar "space blanket".

Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM

249 posts, read 443,808 times
What a blight this thread is on Portland. I mean...I come back in here a week later and people are still lumping the homeless dude who asked a single question?

Definitely time to close it. What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland