Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm disappointed that so many people have chosen to behave like school yard bullies picking on the kid who walks to the tune of a different drummer. A homeless person comes here and he's accussed of being a liar and wanting attention. Is that the mentality of Portland? Really?
I'm dissapointed you'd believe this tripe.

"I've got a special survival bag "

"stealthy sleepers(who can hide their heat signatures), "

"yes, I will have raingear, and a waterproof small camo tent with a thermal blocking inside, along with a survival bag(also insulated with mylar material for anti-detection from thermal goggles, scanners, etc.)"

James Bond here is full of it. I don't believe a word he posts, under any of his various psuedonyms.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
I'm disappointed that so many people have chosen to behave like school yard bullies picking on the kid who walks to the tune of a different drummer. A homeless person comes here and he's accussed of being a liar and wanting attention. Is that the mentality of Portland? Really?

I think it's great the homeless have access to the internet because it has proven to be a powerful survival tool for people from many walks of life. It's pathetic that people make fun of that. Being on the internet isn't a sign of luxury. Free internet is readily available almost anywhere. We took advantage of it while we were on our road trip vacation. The first thing we did when we hit a new area was find a hot spot.

There was an elderly homeless man who was a member of City Data for quite a few years. He lived in one of the Carolinas and headed up to Vermont last spring. For whatever reason, he decided to stay in Vermont for the winter. I don't think he survived.

What's sad is he received similar treatment but not nearly as harsh as this thread. He worked his entire life, owned a home and became a homeless statistic. It seems a morge statistic too. The same could happen to the OP. I hope karma comes back to haunt everyone here who has treated the OP like he's not worthy of kind word.

I'm not sure if the OP is a "troll" or not, but yeah, there's a nasty little core group here that basically lives on this forum. I think they were bleating a couple of days ago that I'm the same person as the OP, so that shows you right there the level of their mentality. I think that some of them are just old, bitter and bored, although that still doesn't answer why they've reverted to middle school behavior. I really don't understand why the the thought of a homeless person having a laptop is so offensive to them or why it's even any of their business.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-11-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 AM

322 posts, read 547,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's not necessary to call me anything. I just don't see the need to be disrespectful. Your post could very well have begun, "OK, let's clarify ... " see how that works. No need for disrespect, or patronization. Or knowing if I'm male, female, old, young ... or anything.

If you're not directing your statements to me, you should not quote what I said, and then address my post directly. How is one to take it any way but directly? If you did not mean it to be direct, don't quote me.

And in no way did I "come at you first." You responded to a post I made to someone else, quoted me and called (as far as your post read) me unfair. So how is it that I "came at you first?"

I'm have no problem with you, personally. I don't know you. I'm just going to answer back to things (especially that are directed to me), with which I have a problem - or a comment to make. That's the way boards work.
Oh for the love..nevermind, I'm done.

The real tragedy of this exchange is that I offered an Olive Branch only to have it spat upon (metaphorically, of course). This may sour me on future interactions with self reported middle aged Portlanders..maybe I should start a thread.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
I can't believe all the gullible people in this thread that think homelessadvocate is for real and not a troll.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:

I think it's great the homeless have access to the internet because it has proven to be a powerful survival tool for people from many walks of life. It's pathetic that people make fun of that. Being on the internet isn't a sign of luxury. Free internet is readily available almost anywhere. We took advantage of it while we were on our road trip vacation. The first thing we did when we hit a new area was find a hot spot.

There was an elderly homeless man who was a member of City Data for quite a few years. He lived in one of the Carolinas and headed up to Vermont last spring. For whatever reason, he decided to stay in Vermont for the winter. I don't think he survived.

What's sad is he received similar treatment but not nearly as harsh as this thread. He worked his entire life, owned a home and became a homeless statistic. It seems a morge statistic too. The same could happen to the OP. I hope karma comes back to haunt everyone here who has treated the OP like he's not worthy of kind word.
I think you're entirely mischaracterizing this thread.

You're not the first to use your own experience concerning a homeless person, and assigning the OP with the same experience. To do that is as faulty as to assume that all homeless are unscrupulous panhandlers.

The OP does not live in our community. He lives many states away, but thinks (assuming his story is true) that he'd like to come to our community and live in one of our city parks, because he thinks the weather would be nicer than where he lives, and that he could get away with it, undetected.

He was advised otherwise. He disdained any advice, and simply argued back that he could. He declared that he was done with the thread, and wouldn't be posting again, but of course, he came back. That's trollish behavior. He's not looking for advice, he's looking for an argument.

He's not posting in threads in his own community, looking for resources for him to better his situation. We certainly don't need more homeless here. And we certainly don't need ones who think it's a dandy idea to come live in our city parks using the area as his toilet.

Perhaps you'd like to invite him to relocate to your community.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Hopes, this fraud is posting on another board posing in the alias he used when he posted here last year with his same drivel under three different aliases.

He is so desperate to keep this going that just yesteday, he sent me a rep telling me that although I told him I hoped people would soon stop responding to his thread, I had responded. The interesting thing is, he used a rep format in which to do it and the post to which he was referring was one I had posted many pages ago when I had discoverd his false story. He obviously was hoping I would respond on the board so he could contine to pick a fight with me. There could be no other reason.

After people had tried to give him good advice in answer to his original question, he accused everyone here of not understanding the homeless. He said we all were well-to-do and never know what homeless was. He was rude and called people names. Even though some posted they had been homeless or had faced homelessness he chose to ignore that and to continue his insults and tirades.

Whenever he sees this thread is on the wane, he posts something in order to keep it going. He is on my ignore list so I know he will respond to my post thankfull I won't have to read his drivel.

I regret adding fuel to his pathetic fire but I just can't stomach seeing people falling for his BS.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I can't believe all the gullible people in this thread that think homelessadvocate is for real and not a troll.
I think that my distaste with some of the posters in this thread comes from their attitudes toward the homeless in general rather than toward this specific OP. He may or may not be a troll; I don't come around this forum often enough to know who's being accused of being who here and blah blah blah, but the fact that I was accused myself of being this guy and a couple of others by one of the "regulars" here tells me a lot about dynamics of this forum. These old rips gang up on anyone who doesn't post what they think they should. Some of them seem practically glued to anything the OP posts. It's weird. If he's a troll, he's a damned good one because he sure has these old hens running in circles.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-11-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I prefer to never bully anyone regardless of what they are doing.

If he truly is a troll, why bully a troll? You're supposed to ignore trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I think you're entirely mischaracterizing this thread.

You're not the first to use your own experience concerning a homeless person, and assigning the OP with the same experience. To do that is as faulty as to assume that all homeless are unscrupulous panhandlers.

The OP does not live in our community. He lives many states away, but thinks (assuming his story is true) that he'd like to come to our community and live in one of our city parks, because he thinks the weather would be nicer than where he lives, and that he could get away with it, undetected.

He was advised otherwise. He disdained any advice, and simply argued back that he could. He declared that he was done with the thread, and wouldn't be posting again, but of course, he came back. That's trollish behavior. He's not looking for advice, he's looking for an argument.

He's not posting in threads in his own community, looking for resources for him to better his situation. We certainly don't need more homeless here. And we certainly don't need ones who think it's a dandy idea to come live in our city parks using the area as his toilet.

Perhaps you'd like to invite him to relocate to your community.
He's more than welcome to come to Pittsburgh if he wants. It's a safe city, and we have some nice bridges he can pitch his tent under. Nobody will tear it down if the area is kept clean from litter. They used to tear out the ramshackled bedding and trash when it got bad. Then someone had the ingenious idea of providing them with tents and garbage cans. There's not a tent city. Just three or four tents here and there. We have a lot of bridges. Policy could change after the next election. But there are plenty of woods everywhere throughout every city neighborhood and suburb. Nobody is going to go into the woods to kick him out unless he's causing problems. Pittsburghers are very tollerant people.

You're wrong about me misapplying my previous experience. The guy from the Carolinas first posted in the Vermont forum before he moved there. So, it's the exact same situation. He was moving north to get away from the Carolina heat in the summer. Vermonters weren't happy about his posts, but he wasn't treated half as badly as people are treating the OP here.

He declared he was done with the thread but keeps coming back. So what! What's funny is you expect a homeless person to be logical and rational.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM

135 posts, read 222,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that my distaste with some of the posters in this thread comes from their attitudes toward the homeless in general rather than toward this specific OP. He may or may not be a troll; I don't come around this forum often enough to know who's being accused of being who here and blah blah blah, but the fact that I was accused myself of being this guy and a couple of others by one of the "regulars" here tells me a lot about dynamics of this forum. These old rips gang up on anyone who doesn't post what they think they should. Some of them seem practically glued to anything the OP posts. It's weird. If he's a troll, he's a damned good one because he sure has these old hens running in circles.
Thank you.. EXACTLY my point! I am NOT a "troll", and don't live under a bridge! And just because they falsely accuse me of being someone else does NOT MAKE IT SO! But like someone said, I march to a different tune, and go my own way.. And because I am not conformist, I get insulted, berated, and generally put down.. Yes, I'm homeless, but I also believe in being PREPARED! Whats so hard to believe about a poor homeless person having a laptop(so I can access the internet anywhere), a sleeping bag, a mylar camo tent, and a need to sleep AWAY from harassment! Is the thought so abhorrent to all you taxpayers that I prefer sleeping in a peaceful forest? I guess so..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Minervah, I think you need to ask yourself why it bothers you so much that this thread continues to get posts. It really isn't something that you can control. You've also mentioned a couple of times that he's on another forum -- did you follow him there by Googling his user name? The reason I'm asking is that despite your assertions that you don't care to read his posts, you're still at this guy like a dog with a bone.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-11-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland