Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Just want to clarify. If you come to Pittsburgh and prefer woods over bridges, you'll need to pick woods that aren't parks. They won't tollerate you in the parks. Under bridges or in non-park woods are acceptable. We have plenty of woods throughout the area. If you're truly a "leave no trace behind" type of camper who knows how to live outside in a sanitary manner, you won't be harrassed. Just make sure you find somewhere that you aren't close to houses---your choices are unlimited because Pittsburgh is a very wooded city due to the steep topography. Be forewarned, we have cold winters. Most of the winter is tollerable at above 30 degrees, but there will be weeks where you'll need to find shelter if you don't have winter camping gear.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:04 PM

135 posts, read 222,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just want to clarify. If you come to Pittsburgh and prefer woods over bridges, you'll need to pick woods that aren't parks. They won't tollerate you in the parks. Under bridges or in non-park woods are acceptable. We have plenty of woods throughout the area. If you're truly a "leave no trace behind" type of camper who knows how to live outside in a sanitary manner, you won't be harrassed. Just make sure you find somewhere that you aren't close to houses---your choices are unlimited because Pittsburgh is a very wooded city due to the steep topography. Be forewarned, we have cold winters. Most of the winter is tollerable at above 30 degrees, but there will be weeks where you'll need to find shelter if you don't have winter camping gear.
I was BORN in the northeast, and shall never return there.. I am familiar with snow and extreme cold(born in buffalo, the coldest) and am trying to AVOID extremes! Yet another reason I have to leave the burning desert(it was 113 the other day here).. No, Portland is my choice, I'm pretty sure if I sleep after dark and WAKE before dawn(I have my trusty WIND UP clock with alarm), I shouldn't have problems.. For the record, I've been through pittsburg more then a few times, Ive even stayed in windber and Punxsutawney for awhile.. I liked small town Pennsylvania but didn't like either Pittsburg OR Philadelphia, and definitely can't take the snow and harsh freezing winters anymore..

Old 06-11-2013, 03:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I prefer to never bully anyone regardless of what they are doing.

If he truly is a troll, why bully a troll? You're supposed to ignore trolls.

He's more than welcome to come to Pittsburgh if he wants. It's a safe city, and we have some nice bridges he can pitch his tent under. Nobody will tear it down if the area is kept clean from litter. They used to tear out the ramshackled bedding and trash when it got bad. Then someone had the ingenious idea of providing them with tents and garbage cans. There's not a tent city. Just three or four tents here and there. We have a lot of bridges. Policy could change after the next election. But there are plenty of woods everywhere throughout every city neighborhood and suburb. Nobody is going to go into the woods to kick him out unless he's causing problems. Pittsburghers are very tollerant people.

You're wrong about me misapplying my previous experience. The guy from the Carolinas first posted in the Vermont forum before he moved there. So, it's the exact same situation. He was moving north to get away from the Carolina heat in the summer. Vermonters weren't happy about his posts, but he wasn't treated half as badly as people are treating the OP here.

He declared he was done with the thread but keeps coming back. So what! What's funny is you expect a homeless person to be logical and rational.

That's insulting to homeless people. We have had homeless people who have posted here who were very logical and rational. We have at present an ex-homeless person who is extremely logical and rational. I suggest you read the previous posts on this thread. I have faced homelessness and am a logical rational person. Many people who are logical and rational face this ordeal through no fault of their own or even by choice. Some of our great thinkers were homeless at one time or another.

But then there are those fraudulent people such as the OP who use it to reel in gullible people to con them into gaining their sympathy with a sad story that changes as often as the tide goes in and out. I don't know if you have read his insulting posts or seen how people tried to help him at first and all he did was show great distain for them. If you did and still believe he is genuine then of course, continue to try and help him but your sympathy while admirable, is being misplaced.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
I was BORN in the northeast, and shall never return there.. I am familiar with snow and extreme cold(born in buffalo, the coldest) and am trying to AVOID extremes! Yet another reason I have to leave the burning desert(it was 113 the other day here).. No, Portland is my choice, I'm pretty sure if I sleep after dark and WAKE before dawn(I have my trusty WIND UP clock with alarm), I shouldn't have problems.. For the record, I've been through pittsburg more then a few times, Ive even stayed in windber and Punxsutawney for awhile.. I liked small town Pennsylvania but didn't like either Pittsburg OR Philadelphia, and definitely can't take the snow and harsh freezing winters anymore..
I can understand wanting to avoid the cold. Pittsburgh and Portland are very similar cities, except Portland is more congested and has a significantly higher cost of living and an economy that isn't thriving like Pittsburgh's. The people are more friendly and tollerant in Pittsburgh. If you don't like Pittsburgh, understand that you're heading to Portland for the weather.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-11-2013 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: added cost of living and economy information

Old 06-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But then there are those fraudulent people such as the OP who use it to reel in gullible people to con them into gaining their sympathy with a sad story that changes as often as the tide goes in and out.
Con people for their sympathy? Seriously? Is your sympathy in such short supply that you need to guard it?

Quote:
I don't know if you have read his insulting posts or seen how people tried to help him at first and all he did was show great distain for them. If you did and still believe he is genuine...
So? He's not much different from the guy who moved from the Carolinas to Vermont. He was very genuine. Totally real. People here met him. He did videos too. It takes a certain personality to endure the hardships of homelessness and the judgements of others. I'm not surprised in the least that they show distain.

Quote:
...then of course, continue to try and help him but your sympathy while admirable, is being misplaced.
I'm capable of forming my own opinions without your help. Thank you. I don't consider it a loss to freely extend sympathy. I'm not running low on it. I have enough to spare to misplace it here and there.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm not sure if the OP is a "troll" or not, but yeah, there's a nasty little core group here that basically lives on this forum. I think they were bleating a couple of days ago that I'm the same person as the OP, so that shows you right there the level of their mentality. I think that some of them are just old, bitter and bored, although that still doesn't answer why they've reverted to middle school behavior. I really don't understand why the the thought of a homeless person having a laptop is so offensive to them or why it's even any of their business.
Thus spaketh the poster with 14 thousand posts.

Okay, you win for making the nastiest post in the thread. You're really, really good at namecalling.

Last edited by EnricoV; 06-11-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 03:55 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
So, Homelessadvocate, last year, in your "prior" city data life as "ProfessorJPJ" and "Animallover" you were in Las Vegas and were adamant about coming to Oregon and living a carefree homeless life on the coast.

You pretty much asked the same questions, spouted the same nonsense, and did exactly the same stuff you are doing now. A year ago.

You kept telling us over and over that you were "coming to Portland".
Nothing could stop you.
You had all this life experience, no strings to keep you in LV, etc...

I have to ask. How come you didn't bum a ride, buy a bus ticket, hitchhike, hop a freight train, cycle, or use one of the many inexpensive modes of transportation to get to Portland like you threatened to do?
What's holding you back?
You told us over and over about how you travelled up and down the east coast, were street-wise, could handle anything, etc..........
Come on, it's less than a thousand miles.
People have cycled from Portland to Los Angeles which is about the same distance in a few weeks!
You had a whole year to get here and sleep in as many parks as you could get away with!

I recall you saying you had 12 grand stashed away, (if you deny this, I will find the post and prove you wrong) and were coming whether we liked it or not.
The exact same stuff you are telling us now.
A year ago.

I have to ask, why are you still in Las Vegas?
How come you are not here?
Why are you back, a year later, on the same forum, pulling the same old schmutz?

If you are such an independent free thinking soul who has it all figured out, why are you wasting your time posting on this board (again) when you could be putting all that time and energy towards a move to Portland instead of talking about it?

That's why I think you are a fake and a troll.

And believe it or not, you are not helping out the homeless with all you bullshnitz, you are actually making most of this boards posters and thousands of lurkers believe that a typical homeless person such as yourself is a shiftless, lazy, lying, trash talking manipulative piece of garbage, who helping out would be a waste of time.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
So, Homelessadvocate, last year, in your "prior" city data life as "ProfessorJPJ" and "Animallover" you were in Las Vegas and were adamant about coming to Oregon and living a carefree homeless life on the coast.

You pretty much asked the same questions, spouted the same nonsense, and did exactly the same stuff you are doing now. A year ago.

You kept telling us over and over that you were "coming to Portland".
Nothing could stop you.
You had all this life experience, no strings to keep you in LV, etc...

I have to ask. How come you didn't bum a ride, buy a bus ticket, hitchhike, hop a freight train, cycle, or use one of the many inexpensive modes of transportation to get to Portland like you threatened to do?
What's holding you back?
You told us over and over about how you travelled up and down the east coast, were street-wise, could handle anything, etc..........
Come on, it's less than a thousand miles.
People have cycled from Portland to Los Angeles which is about the same distance in a few weeks!
You had a whole year to get here and sleep in as many parks as you could get away with!

I recall you saying you had 12 grand stashed away, (if you deny this, I will find the post and prove you wrong) and were coming whether we liked it or not.
The exact same stuff you are telling us now.
A year ago.

I have to ask, why are you still in Las Vegas?
How come you are not here?
Why are you back, a year later, on the same forum, pulling the same old schmutz?

If you are such an independent free thinking soul who has it all figured out, why are you wasting your time posting on this board (again) when you could be putting all that time and energy towards a move to Portland instead of talking about it?

That's why I think you are a fake and a troll.
Why does it matter? Things happen. Maybe he fell in love. Maybe he ended up in jail. There could be a million reasons he didn't get around to coming to Portland until this year. It's really none of your business.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM

135 posts, read 222,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh, there's a few nastier ones from you and the little band of harpies who live on this forum. You just can't stand it that someone isn't jumping on your snarling little bandwagon.
And the nastiness towards me goes on.. I keep being accused of being another person merely because I seem to have similar attitudes to another poster? I can make the same accusations to many of you! Since most of you seem to share the same attitude! And the reason I keep posting is some things can't go undefended, and MUST be responded to!! And I am quite rational, I just think unconventionally..

Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
Quote:
It's really none of your business.
I know it's none of my business.
But if he is going to post his drivel on a fairly public forum, that's a moot point now isn't it.

I'm sure if he was genuine, then that "little band of senior citizen harpies" (who are well aware of his past history here on this forum) would be helping him out instead of calling his bluff.

He is getting the treatment he is getting not because he is poor and homeless, but because he has a history and reputation here of being a fraud.

Really. Go back and read the crap he posted last year. I linked to two of his posts in post #26 of this thread.

He has no intentions except to agitate and troll. And it looks like he is succeeding.
He'll never come to Portland.

I noticed he just posted a little while ago about how nasty he is treated instead of answering any questions.
Seems to be his standard technique in deflecting pointed questions.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-11-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland