Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 PM

320 posts, read 417,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You should take a trip up the Hood River Valley as well when you go see the Gorge or Mount Hood. It's really beautiful that time of year as the leaves change in the valley and usually there's a bunch of apple harvest events and festivals around that time also. Beautiful area of the region, and the town of Hood River is a nice place to break up a day trip in the Columbia River-Mount Hood loop.
Thanks! We do plan on doing that exact loop I think! We plan to drive the Historic Columbia River Highway to Hood River for lunch(stopping at view points and waterfalls of course). Then from Hood river we were going to drive up to Mt. Hood stopping at Timberline lodge before heading back down to Portland. I really hope the Leaves are changing colors by then! Thanks for the input about festivals and apple harvest events. We will be sure to stop if we see any as I love those kinds of things. Is there anything that's a MUST see/do along this loop?

Also, Is this a safe drive to do in a Corvette in October? I'm a little concerned about the road conditions on the way up to Mt. Hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Thanks for the input about festivals and apple harvest events. We will be sure to stop if we see any as I love those kinds of things. Is there anything that's a MUST see/do along this loop?
Hood River County Fruit Loop: Home Page

We always hit up Rasmussen Farms, Phelps Creek Vineyards, Pheasant Valley Winery, and the Apple Valley Country Store.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Hood River County Fruit Loop: Home Page

We always hit up Rasmussen Farms, Phelps Creek Vineyards, Pheasant Valley Winery, and the Apple Valley Country Store.
Oh my goodness.....Thank you for this! This website is great and I can't wait to stop at a few of these places!

Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Quote:
Thanks! We do plan on doing that exact loop I think! We plan to drive the Historic Columbia River Highway to Hood River for lunch(stopping at view points and waterfalls of course). Then from Hood river we were going to drive up to Mt. Hood stopping at Timberline lodge before heading back down to Portland. I really hope the Leaves are changing colors by then! Thanks for the input about festivals and apple harvest events. We will be sure to stop if we see any as I love those kinds of things. Is there anything that's a MUST see/do along this loop?

Also, Is this a safe drive to do in a Corvette in October? I'm a little concerned about the road conditions on the way up to Mt. Hood.
Road conditions shouldn't be bad in October. There could be early snow on the road to Timberline, but there's a good chance it'll be completely dry. The snow usually doesn't start piling up until November. Even if they get a little snow higher up, chances are it'll just be a trace on that road--and they take good care of that road even when the big blizzards hit in mid-winter. Odds are though that you'll be fine--though it might be a little rainy. Though October can be really nice and crisp as well--it varies from year to year, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,165 times
I just got my "temporary registration" for my car here in OR. It's the size of half a sheet of paper and on it, they write the expiration date, and you're supposed to stick it up in the rear windshield. If you're from CA, putting the temp registration in the rear windshield won't make a difference. It's so small, cops here probably won't know what it is and will pull you over regardless. Personally, I'd just leave the registration where it's supposed to be, for your state, and know you may get pulled over.

Did I read that right? You're going to be driving a brand new Corvette up here, then going to the mountains? Really? Yikes. I personally wouldn't do it, but I love my cars like my dogs. The Corvette is pretty low to the ground, the road trip alone is going to nick up the front hood from all the debris. I know when I drove up here, seeing all the bugs and stuff that hit my car (windshield and front bumper), I just wanted to cry. I got it detailed to clean it up, more tears after I saw the damage. And my car isn't low. I would definitely invest in a bra for the car. I mean, it's a Corvette!!!! If you must drive the Corvette, buy a bra for it, keep a distance from the car ahead of you (too many rocks hit my windshield), and hope you don't get too much damage on the trip.

Just an FYI, there's a LOT of road construction going on right now. I'm not sure what it'll look like when you get here, maybe the people who lived here longer would know. But I do know on the 5 and 217 alone, they're putting down a new layer of asphalt. It depends on how well they "sweep" it, but there have been days where there's a ton of debris being kicked up. I've been trying to avoid all the construction because I've had too many rocks hit my windshield pretty hard.

One thing to make sure, I'm not sure what kind of stock tires the Corvette has, but make sure they're not summer tires, in case it rains a lot. You should at least have an all-season tire on it.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Road conditions shouldn't be bad in October. There could be early snow on the road to Timberline, but there's a good chance it'll be completely dry. The snow usually doesn't start piling up until November. Even if they get a little snow higher up, chances are it'll just be a trace on that road--and they take good care of that road even when the big blizzards hit in mid-winter. Odds are though that you'll be fine--though it might be a little rainy. Though October can be really nice and crisp as well--it varies from year to year, but I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you. That makes me feel better.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I just got my "temporary registration" for my car here in OR. It's the size of half a sheet of paper and on it, they write the expiration date, and you're supposed to stick it up in the rear windshield. If you're from CA, putting the temp registration in the rear windshield won't make a difference. It's so small, cops here probably won't know what it is and will pull you over regardless. Personally, I'd just leave the registration where it's supposed to be, for your state, and know you may get pulled over.

Did I read that right? You're going to be driving a brand new Corvette up here, then going to the mountains? Really? Yikes. I personally wouldn't do it, but I love my cars like my dogs. The Corvette is pretty low to the ground, the road trip alone is going to nick up the front hood from all the debris. I know when I drove up here, seeing all the bugs and stuff that hit my car (windshield and front bumper), I just wanted to cry. I got it detailed to clean it up, more tears after I saw the damage. And my car isn't low. I would definitely invest in a bra for the car. I mean, it's a Corvette!!!! If you must drive the Corvette, buy a bra for it, keep a distance from the car ahead of you (too many rocks hit my windshield), and hope you don't get too much damage on the trip.

Just an FYI, there's a LOT of road construction going on right now. I'm not sure what it'll look like when you get here, maybe the people who lived here longer would know. But I do know on the 5 and 217 alone, they're putting down a new layer of asphalt. It depends on how well they "sweep" it, but there have been days where there's a ton of debris being kicked up. I've been trying to avoid all the construction because I've had too many rocks hit my windshield pretty hard.

One thing to make sure, I'm not sure what kind of stock tires the Corvette has, but make sure they're not summer tires, in case it rains a lot. You should at least have an all-season tire on it.
I actually agree with you about taking the Corvette but my husband is dying to take it on a road trip! I will however make him read this to learn about the potential damage that can be done to his new love...lol It's not new as in a 2013, it's an 07, but new to us! I keep telling him we should take my car (Honda Pilot SUV). Thank you for your warning. I will pass this on to him!

Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphysclover View Post
Hey PW! I am msmurphy... I got a new email and new account! So glad to hear you get to visit! I went to dog grooming school and got a new career as jobs in my old profession or otherwise were scarce but I had two job offers after graduation! And now have a wonderful job grooming my best friends!

We still love it here! My niece is visiting us from OK and are dazzled by it here!

I can't imagine living anywhere else! And feel I've been here forever! Love everything here but especially the flipping beauty of it all. We still haven't touched all the stuff to do but look forward to it! Feel free to pm me with any questions ill check in here more! Haven't in some time.

Congrats on your visit and have a blast!!!!
Hello MsMurphy! So good to hear from you! I'm glad you are still loving life up there and I'm still jealous How wonderful to start a whole new career doing something that you love. I can't wait to be dazzled by the beauty again as I was before. Both of my previous trips to Oregon were in March, so I'm excited to see all the changing leaves in the fall! Of course I'm sure this trip will just make me drive my husband even more insane about moving there sooner rather than later. Along with the Gorge, Hood River and Mt. Hood, we will be checking out Astoria and cannon beach. Can't wait to drive through Ecola State Park! We are actually staying at a little place in Forest Park while we are there....so excited. Glad to hear you'll be back on these forums more updating us!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness.....Thank you for this! This website is great and I can't wait to stop at a few of these places!
On one of your trips you may love a Jet Boat Adventure...
Hells Canyon, Hells Canyon jetboat trips, Hells canyon idaho, hells canyon oregon

Have a Wonderful Adventure......

Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
On one of your trips you may love a Jet Boat Adventure...
Hells Canyon, Hells Canyon jetboat trips, Hells canyon idaho, hells canyon oregon

Have a Wonderful Adventure......
Thank you! We are actually staying one night in Grants Pass on our way up! I wanted to do this so bad, but it doesn't run in October
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland