Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Oregon, particularly Portland was it's typically behind the 'curve' so to speak. Many in the community said that they didn't want to have that happen here. As a result state and local land use planning, the urban growth boundary, started to take shape.
And the urban growth boundary has contributed to the increased real estate prices in the Portland metro area. The UGB has its benefits, but it has artificially decreased the supply of buildable land.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've been all over this country and I think most people have no opinion at all of Oregon and Oregonians - not positive and not negative. Sorry, it isn't one of the big impact states to the rest of the country - not a large enough population. The neighboring states have much more of an opinion than the rest of the country.
I agree. Oregon just isn't on most people's radar screens. It's not even garnering much national attention from the media in the upcoming presidential primary.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:03 PM

165 posts, read 663,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilbur7 View Post
Oh and don't get me started on the drivers in Oregon. These people look at cars as if it were some futuristic space ship. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I have never seen so many people who cannot figure out how to merge onto a freeway. Also, people who drive a stick shift up here probably rarely get out of second gear. Even with this SLOOOOOOOOW driving, there are still atleast 3 major accidents per day on the news. I have never seen worse drivers in my life.
Have you been to Florida? We saw 4 accidents in a matter of two hours while traveling on the causeway in Tampa.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 AM

682 posts, read 1,579,466 times
As a lifelong Portlander and frequent visitor to other areas of the country, I'd have to say the biggest negatives about Portland to me are:

1.) Relatively fewer cultural options (arts, entertainment, sports, etc.) compared to other similar or larger sized metro areas;
2.) The tax structure which encourages consumption and discourages actually making money; and
3.) The I-5 bridge (I like that there is a focus on alternative transit here, but... c'mon... build a new bridge, already, that old thing is pathetic).

Yeah the gloom lingers on too long in the winter, but as long as I can escape a few times in the late winter/early spring, I'm fine, and it's worth the tradeoffs (clean and green, beautiful summers, etc.). And it's more like four+ months of nice weather, not three (June 15-September 15, plus a few weeks scattered throughout April, May, and October).

Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 AM

36 posts, read 126,307 times
Default Portland Values

During my childhood in Portland, both my grandfather and father succeeded in business by making and keeping verbal promises.
I see fraud in the current hype of Portland. I don't compare it with any other city. It's subjective.
Corporate real estate people, who hype Portland enraged me this year, when I came back and rented an apartment for the summer. The freedom to make independent decisions is a form of stealing, when others exploit it by lying. They know state tenant laws are not very strong. If you have a problem here, you need to hire an attorney. Why? In California, I am not suprized that cosmetic changes were called remodels. But I am very disappointed that too many Beaverton slumlords oversell and overcharge and exploit newcomers and illegals.
You are not hearing me complain. You are hearing me grieve.
If you're coming and if you can, stay away from large property management companies. It's hard but try. Their main advertising is Craigs List. They use words like "apartment homes" and "this won't last long" and "want something new?" and the one I like the best "blowout". What the hell does "blowout" have to do with a place to live? The word home has an entirely different meaning to those advertisers.
My corporate sociopaths decided to install new cabinets while I was living here. They thought this was good news to me, with an allergy to dust and to my neighbors with two small children. They couldn't understand why we didn't want to pay them rent, while they increased the value of their building at the expense of our peace. If you are faced with this, tell them no.
Yes, I did expect something better here because I once experienced it and it feels like a part of me is gone.
Don't sign a one year lease. You may regret it. It's all about supply and demand. If there is enough demand for change, something better can happen. Please do not stay asleep in the hype or allow area real estate property managers to cause suffering.
Also, everytime you pay them a fee to check your credit, it reduces your overall score.
And from a native, whose family developed this city on different principals, I am sorry. There is nothing about this I can defend.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:42 PM

19 posts, read 48,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
Have you been to Florida? We saw 4 accidents in a matter of two hours while traveling on the causeway in Tampa.
No, Florida is one state that I have not been to. I've heard stories though.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
I thought they were selling them and becoming zillionaire carpetbaggers. Now you're telling me that they're going broke?
The sharp increase in Oregon housing prices that can be laid at the feet of Californians happened 20-30 years ago. And it never reversed. I don't think it has affected anything for at least the last decade. Now, everyone's greed for having the biggest and baddest, all on credit, is coming back to bite them all on the butt. And while California property is still much higher valued than Oregon property, the gap is much, much less.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:06 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The sharp increase in Oregon housing prices that can be laid at the feet of Californians happened 20-30 years ago. And it never reversed. I don't think it has affected anything for at least the last decade. Now, everyone's greed for having the biggest and baddest, all on credit, is coming back to bite them all on the butt. And while California property is still much higher valued than Oregon property, the gap is much, much less.
OMG! --- Why is it always the Californians, the 'outsiders', anybody and everything from a different state who are/is to blame for skyrocketing prices? People don't struggle in California?

I see our current state of affairs as the result of everyone's greed, as do you. We all take part in it. Why no complaints about greedy realtors and greedy people who sell their land for exhorbitant prices? If you had land for sale and wanted $1 for it, I come along and offered you $1 - then someone siddles on in with $2.50 - would you not accept the $2.50?

I check the forums in the states where I know people, or have lived. The same gawd-awful whiners are everywhere -- blaming their economic situation on somebody, anybody, else. If it weren't for Californians (or whomever) everything would be swell.

I sure agree with you that everyone's greed is coming back to bite them (us) on the butt, but it's no one's fault but our own.

Suncat and GB1 - funny posts!! And agreed, Oregon is just not on most people's radar!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 PM

36 posts, read 126,307 times
Default Thank you

Of all of my successful California friends, not one ever came to Oregon, knocked on someone's front door and said, "excuse me, can I please pay you $200,000 for this house that is only worth $75,000?"
Of course not.
But I have heard many Oregonians play the role of victim....like this was all out of their control. They were innocent bystanders, just raking in the only fast cash this state has ever seen and so much of it!
It's just that they are ashamed of their greed, cannot admit to it and are now playing the childish, psychology game of transferring guilt.
Mr. E... I suspect you own a business here that is benefitting from growth. Am I right about that?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss60 View Post
Of all of my successful California friends, not one ever came to Oregon, knocked on someone's front door and said, "excuse me, can I please pay you $200,000 for this house that is only worth $75,000?"
This is funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland