Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times

Advertisements

I just wish I knew some of this crap before saying yes to my position. I'm bored at work and it's an easy way to vent about how all the weird people/experiences seem to be drawn to me like frat boys to a kegger. Plus I had 2 beggers discussing philosphy in the dumpster of my building this morning, which was actually kind of funny as I walked by...."They discriminated against me because it's socially more acceptible to pay for a minority's education then ...SIR, DO YOU HAVE ANY CHANGE!?....so I couldn't get my ESL certificate...."

I have been accused of stealing jobs from Oregonians before, being a transplant. Only by one person, and being a rep in a contracting organization that was a Darwin runner up award at the workplace. She got to experience looking for a job all over again.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I guess my biggest Portland negative is losing so many friends over the years to other cities because they could no longer afford to live here.
But that is something that happens to every city that is worth living in and is pretty.

People in Seattle, Boise, SF, LA, PHX, they are all saying the same thing.

I'm not sure where the truly poor people can live anymore, but this is hardly an oregon problem. The cost of living per each dollar is better in Portland that SF. I would spend much less on housing and gas etc. We are all just trying to find a better place to live and to get more for our dollar.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
What shouldn't be a problem is drive by shootings. My cube neighbor lives a bit down from me (he is on 45th and I'm on 21st) and cops cordoned off his block because some one got shot down the street. This is the second in the area in 3 weeks, I'm not sure what I would have done if I was near it.

Lloyd Center is the place to be, if you're a gang member. He's getting the heck out of town when he can sell his house, I couldn't agree more. It's not just an Oregon problem, but I'm not a test case or a pioneer for urban revitalization.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
But that is something that happens to every city that is worth living in and is pretty.

People in Seattle, Boise, SF, LA, PHX, they are all saying the same thing.

I'm not sure where the truly poor people can live anymore, but this is hardly an oregon problem. The cost of living per each dollar is better in Portland that SF. I would spend much less on housing and gas etc. We are all just trying to find a better place to live and to get more for our dollar.
I agree. I don't want to move to the cities you mention for that very reason. That is why I am looking into cities to move to that aren't attracting most other people. I have been thinking about Minneapolis although I have never been there. I don't mind cold weather so I probably will wind up back in the Midwest.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:13 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,466 times
If you don't mind cold winters, move to Cleveland. It's about the same size as Portland and it has as many or more cultural amenities (including actual sports teams). Housing is unbelievably cheap there, their downtown is really starting to pick up, and Cleveland Metroparks is awesome for those who like the hiking and biking aspects of Portland. But instead of the occasional "city-snobbery" you find in Portland, people in Cleveland tend to have low self-esteem about their city, in part thanks to the national media pounding on them for the past two decades, and in part because of their painful transition from a manufacturing economy to a health care and services economy.

Also, the winters are too cold for the panhandlers you find up and down the west coast, FWIW.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
If you don't mind cold winters, move to Cleveland. It's about the same size as Portland and it has as many or more cultural amenities (including actual sports teams). Housing is unbelievably cheap there, their downtown is really starting to pick up, and Cleveland Metroparks is awesome for those who like the hiking and biking aspects of Portland. But instead of the occasional "city-snobbery" you find in Portland, people in Cleveland tend to have low self-esteem about their city, in part thanks to the national media pounding on them for the past two decades, and in part because of their painful transition from a manufacturing economy to a health care and services economy.

Also, the winters are too cold for the panhandlers you find up and down the west coast, FWIW.
A few years ago when I decided I would some day have to move from Portland Cleveland was my first choice. I even posted on a Cleveland website asking some questions and people were amazingly helpful. One guy even told me to get in touch with him about jobs if I ever came to check the place out.
But as time goes by, I hear not so good things about Cleveland. Your post is re-encouraging me. I will put it back on my list.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 AM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
This one line caught my eye -- what on earth could you friend have been wearing that made anybody in the Pearl or downtown look at him funny? I say that with humor as I work downtown (PSU) and your average person strolling the park blocks may have tatoos running the entire length of his or her body, piercings on every appendage, Mohawk hair of various colors ... really, I love it.

So I'm trying to wonder what the hell kind of freak your friend must look like for anybody in PDX to take a second look!

When I saw him, he looked punkish but had an orioles hat on. He wears glasses that dont match his face really so wtf knows what theyd stare at. He says the suburbanite douchebags who are in the pearl that belong in Beaverton are most of the ones who do.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM

36 posts, read 126,307 times
Default What My Friends Says

Since being back (and not for long), I reunited with the woman who I met in the 7th grade, in Portland, so that means we have known each other for 45 years (yikes). Anyway, I went off to California and she stayed here. She lives in Vancouver and works as a hair stylist in Portland (for at least 15 years).
Some of her clients are the street walkers and "dancers" and what upsets her the most is that her hometown of Portland is sleezy, really sleezy. Today, she wondered outloud if police and city officials are on the take for postitution and drug profits because it is hard to believe they allow so much of these industries to thrive here....really thrive.
There are literally hundreds of all nude clubs in ALL Portland neighborhoods (so please don't respond that there are some areas that don't have them) and one black tar heroin street party in downtown Portland was promoted on the internet. About 500 people showed up.
Why Portland? This is real big business here and as a veteran of West Coast travel, I never see as much of this in Seattle, San Francisco, LA or San Diego.
My friend said that residents on 82nd are so fed up, they are taking photos of men, hookers and license plates.
So why does Portland not only tolerate and almost promote this sleezy image to the world?
Where are the police...I do not see as many police cars here as I see in other cities?
Being liberal is one thing...raising children here is something entirely different. Being liberal is one thing...I am really embarassed and should I wonder about the Oregon Lottery machines 3-4 to a block in this economy?
I know these times are terrible and getting worse but I wish we could all agree to a higher standard for this city and work together to make it a better place. Yes, I will try to do something about it before I leave.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Bliss60,

It's a crazy town alright. I was waiting during the early evening on 42nd and Sandy for the #75 bus to take me to Hawthornewhen a young man (30's or so) pulled up and asked me if I wanted to "go" with him. I said "No thanks." He circled the block and then came back and asked if I wanted a ride. "No thanks again."

I was really getting nervous and it was getting dark. Finally my bus came. I don't know if he made a third attempt.

OK. The irony of this story is that I am 62 years old, overweight and very average looking. Hey, maybe I should be flattered. But...er...I don't think so.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 PM

67 posts, read 213,800 times
Default Ms. M

So sorry that some jerk scared you like that and know this.

This has happened to me 3 times, since I arrived back in the Portland area.. Once with the neighbor (married man), second time with a bookkeeping client (a businessman in a commited relationship and 30 years in retail business in Hillsboro) and third time with an illegal Mexican (maintenance man in my apartment building) who showed up at 10:30 at night. He knocked softly to avoid the neighbors hearing him. I did not answer the door but he called the next day to tell me he had been there.

I am 61.

I had to talk with the landlord about the last incident and had to argue with him to convince him that he has some responsibility to protect me.

Women don't have to do anything to invite these immoral, shamed based men into their lives. But Portland has invited them here. This town has sent out an invitation and it's been accepted.

You need to carry pepper spray, if you are going to live in Portland. It is the sad truth. There is no one to protect you. Most men will not stand up for you; they are so wounded and so oversold on sex that they can't tell the difference between honor and addiction to sex and alcohol. Too many men have lost their way. Too many men believe this is normal behavior and they slap each other on the back and make excuses for each other.

If we don't comply...well they can just get on a tour bus for Russia or Southeast Asia. Search the Haper's Bazaar article about the undercover journalist who went on one of the thousands of tours so that some American men can buy a better wife. After all, it's the women in this country that have failed...right?

All women are prey...just easy prey in cities like Portland.

I keep asking them..are you going to be in a strip club when the next terrorist attack comes?

It's one thing if you don't care about my life or my body as your sister and fellow American but how do you live with yourself?

If you are one of these men living in Portland...you need to start showing up for relationships with your wives, sisters and daughters and you need to find your way home...to yourselves...so we can love and respect you again.

Portland is trendy and it's sleezy...very, very sleezy. So I guess sleeze is "in" this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland