Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 428,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
People sell their homes in CA and then move some place where houses are affordable and drive up the costs for everyone else.
How dare Americans assume they can just move anywhere in America with impunity! There oughta be a law!

Quote:
Why do you think the largest % of homes that are being foreclosed is in CA
I thought they were selling them and becoming zillionaire carpetbaggers. Now you're telling me that they're going broke?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
Actually discrimination against former Californians is a bit of an inside joke. As California communities expanded lots of Oregonians looked on in dismay at what happened. There was little land use planning, traffic was awful, strip malls supplanted community shopping centers and public transit waned.

Oregon, particularly Portland was it's typically behind the 'curve' so to speak. Many in the community said that they didn't want to have that happen here. As a result state and local land use planning, the urban growth boundary, started to take shape. One comment heard now and again was 'Don't Californicate Oregon.' Many wanted to slow down population growth until there was adequate infrastructure.

Most new residents came from California, after all it is the nearest major population center. Most homes in California were more expensive than ours, the new residents paid what for us was a stunning sum for homes. Today the differential isn't that huge, unless of course the person is coming from San Francisco or the Silicon Valley. Californians should re-register their vehicles promptly least others assume they have lots of money falling out of their pockets.

Oh, many of our kids move TO California after college. We don't really dislike Californians.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 AM

108 posts, read 470,291 times
I know the history of Oregon's 'baggage' with California.

People from all over the country still want to move to CA, in fact it's a dream to a lot of them. Not everyone is leaving, and if they do leave they often go back home after a few years.

Many factors are in play with regard to RE prices in Oregon and the entire country, btw.
I mean really: Have Californians invaded every halfway decent place in the U.S. and driven prices up sky high? And then, they couldn't pay their mortgages so the foreclosure meltdown began...?

Anyway, people like to make issues into black & white so I'm not surprised by "it's all California's fault" thinking.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,270,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilbur7 View Post
Exactly!!!!!! Finally someone said it. All these "Oregonians" do is attack people for stating an opinion. Whether Oregonians believe it or not, most people throughout the country have a negative opinion of Oregon and Oregonians.
I've been all over this country and I think most people have no opinion at all of Oregon and Oregonians - not positive and not negative. Sorry, it isn't one of the big impact states to the rest of the country - not a large enough population. The neighboring states have much more of an opinion than the rest of the country.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
I'll be a garden is easier in Portland than Las Cruces.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM

19 posts, read 48,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've been all over this country and I think most people have no opinion at all of Oregon and Oregonians - not positive and not negative. Sorry, it isn't one of the big impact states to the rest of the country - not a large enough population. The neighboring states have much more of an opinion than the rest of the country.
I too have been all accross the country. 47 states to be exact. The negative opinion that I have noticed is people look at oregon like it is a po-dunk state. Most people i have talked to wouldn't move to Oregon because they don't want to trade in there car for a boat and a life vest. I even had someone ask if there was inddor bathrooms here or if everyone uses the wilderness they love so much. I guess what I am trying to say is, Oregon, in the eyes of many accross the country, is living in the stone age.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 48,859 times
Default awilbur7

Oh and don't get me started on the drivers in Oregon. These people look at cars as if it were some futuristic space ship. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I have never seen so many people who cannot figure out how to merge onto a freeway. Also, people who drive a stick shift up here probably rarely get out of second gear. Even with this SLOOOOOOOOW driving, there are still atleast 3 major accidents per day on the news. I have never seen worse drivers in my life.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 PM

920 posts, read 2,815,561 times
Quote:

More Californian's who have made real estate ridiculously expensive
How do you know that is the Californians' fault? People have moved here from all over the country -- many from more expensive places.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
whatever thats why no one is moving to California,
That's simply not true. More and more people move to California every year.

I wonder what the Pennsylvanians will think of you moving there from more expensive Oregon.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
How dare Americans assume they can just move anywhere in America with impunity! There oughta be a law!
How dare people move from Oregon to Pennsylvania and drive up their housing prices!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland