Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Shouldve been left if it was that serious.
Keep in mind though, even here in the South where its almost always sun, in the summer, its just like it is up there, well we have sunshine atleast, but everyone stays indoors cause its so damn hot, you sweat as soon as you step outside.

Let me repeat that.

You sweat as soon as you step outside its so humid.

Ill say it just once more so you guys can realize how real this is.

As soon as you open your door and hit the outside air, you feel the humid air, wetten your pores, and your body proceeds to sweat.

It gets really, really, humid and hot!
I go through 2 shirts just going to the store in the summer. Water bill is higher in the summer cause I have to take two showers and wash twice as much.
I don't miss the humidity of the east coast one bit. I always sigh when I hear someone in Oregon complain about it being too humid here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t60r View Post
I am looking into moving to Portland in the next year or so but I am skeptical of the amount of rain that "everyone" says Portland sees.

I am originally from Rochester, NY, the heart of feet of lake effect snow covered winters and 100% humidity summers. I've spent the last few years in the Hartford, CT area so I am no stranger to weather, rain and the elements.

Honestly though, does it really rain THAT much in Portland? I've also been looking at Medford based on what the precipitation maps have shown me (similar climate to Portland but less precip.) I guess I am really looking for the frequency and duration of rain when it comes...

Thanks!!
It's not the rain that drives people out of town.

It's the sustained grey layer that dominates about 4/5 or more of the year.

This grey, overcast layer prevents UV/VIS radiation from reaching you in normal quantities.

You'll hear people discuss Vitamin D levels. This is not really an issue.

Your unique US-version of cabin fever and depression starts with diminished serotonin/dopamine levels, or a balance and circadian rhythm that is completely out of alignment due to zero aid from the sun, the brain's release of melatonin around the clock as a response to overcast conditions. You'll become lethargic, confused, and crave simple carbohydrate like never before.

You'll notice a collective bitterness and frustration within portland's populace during the sad 4/5 of the year. It's a really sick cycle, in my opinion - sucking it up for 4/5 of the year to wait for the June - August or so that flat out rocks like no other time / place in the nation.

This climate and conditions are not unique to Portland. it's no wonder european and russian cultures have essentially perfected depression.

I lasted 2 years and had to leave. And my family's roots to Portland begin in the early 1900s.

Portland, in its history and current state, has many striking similarities to other brand-name, trendy cities - transient culture, minimal, focused economy, insufficient well-paying job volume, etc.

I'm in New Mexico now and love it.

I'll still visit Oregon when I can. If I'm ever successful enough I'll have a temporary residence there.

I miss the Germany-like feel of Oregon. The fun of driving in the rain.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:37 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXnVegas View Post
You'll notice a collective bitterness and frustration within portland's populace during the sad 4/5 of the year. It's a really sick cycle, in my opinion - sucking it up for 4/5 of the year to wait for the June - August or so that flat out rocks like no other time / place in the nation.

This climate and conditions are not unique to Portland. it's no wonder european and russian cultures have essentially perfected depression.
Though if you look at any list of the happiest countries on Earth, they're usually full of Scandinavian countries and Canada near the top. Russia is a different story in terms of quality of life.

As someone who grew up in Canada, where the winters are much more severe than Portland, I find that the people who are depressed are often so because of their own personal situation rather than solely the weather. Usually it's people who don't have a lot going on in terms of career or personal life or have a bad situation that get really affected by the weather. People in Montreal and Vancouver BC and Portland and Seattle that I've known might slow down during the winter, and people get more moody when it's always cloudy, but they don't seem truly depressed unless something else is going on. I see people out doing stuff in the winter in Portland in my neighborhood and they seem cheerful. People who are happy with their jobs, go outside to do stuff, can afford to go skiing or other winter stuff(when it snows) seem to be usually be fine during the winter--people that are just sitting around all day are going to be much more sensitive to a cloudy day.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 01-14-2015 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 04:39 PM

210 posts, read 251,846 times
Probably also why there is so much drinking and drug use in this region.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,043 times
It does rain alot..... if grey, wet weather doesn't get you down you will do fine. I have lived here 28 years and came from snowy weather and do fine. Although I do admit to not wanting to go out in it occasionally! lol
But if you garden.... great place to be!!!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:10 PM

111 posts, read 171,656 times
I keep hearing that this is an abnormal year, but I can't say I'm disliking it:

Old 01-22-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostjay View Post
I keep hearing that this is an abnormal year, but I can't say I'm disliking it:
It has been a very dry winter, I am more worried about what that will do for our water supply in the summer.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:39 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
It's not just the rain, and there is PLENTY by any measure. It's the gloomy, depressingly gray days. I tried Portland, and it didn't work for those reasons. I'm hardly the only one! Once I asked a coworker if she was going to stay in Portland and she said "I tell you what, I am not going through another winter here!"

Old 01-26-2015, 04:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
I always love how these gloom comments come on days when it's beautifully sunny here. I'm looking outside at the sunshine right now, during this time of "9 months of no sun."

Old 01-26-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
It's not just the rain, and there is PLENTY by any measure. It's the gloomy, depressingly gray days. I tried Portland, and it didn't work for those reasons. I'm hardly the only one! Once I asked a coworker if she was going to stay in Portland and she said "I tell you what, I am not going through another winter here!"
Watching the winterstorm hitting the Northeast right now, I will gladly take Portland's cloudy 55 degree winter over that. Even better that is was a bit sunny today, this has been a great week here weather wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland