Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:17 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

@psichick

Lol we just may have to go. God can't remember the last time ive had a malasada.

@lrmsd

Mahalo for the great compliment. Im glad that Hapa reminds you of your special day and i was able to remind you of Hapa. Maybe i will see you at the concert?

@Sherwoody will do bruddah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:51 PM

Aloha Kakou

If you have visitted or lived in Hawaii, like oahu long enough, you would have learned to enjoy the drive-in food experience. Places like Byrons, K.Cs or The Old Rainbow Drive-in. Today most of those places are gone in Oahu and Portland, but not competely. Now when we talk Drive-ins there are a few traditional ones left, were you can order in your car and eat in your car. Here is two places i have been too.

A&W Restaurant, Boring - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Sonic, America's Drive-In | This Is How You Sonic
In tigard

Now i know there are more that call themselves drive-in restaurants i just don't know if they are traditional ones or not since I haven't been there. Feel free to add others if you know of any? Mahalo

Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
We don't have a lot of Drive-In's anymore. The Drive in A&Ws like that are incredibly rare these days but a few are scattered across Oregon in smaller towns. A lot of them are now A&W/KFC locations.

You posted two of the chains, but there is also some independents like Skyline Drive-in but most people go inside (some of the best milkshakes in town though.) Then there are places that were once Drive-ins like Humdinger Burger, Mike's Drive-in Giant Drive In, and Jim Dandy but don't have the covered parking areas or car-side service any longer.

Yaw's Top Notch attempted to reopen. It was once a Portland Institution and had a huge cult following fueled by nostalgia. Opening day and the next few weeks were pretty good business wise, but it only lasted eight months. The food was down right nasty according to some, and it looks like there was some other issues going on too.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:40 PM

Aloha guys, just got this info and thought I would pass it around.

Herb Ohta Jr- Keoki Kahumoku- Chino Montero will be live march 14th at the Cozmic in Eugene Oregon. In case you are not familiar with them? Tradtional hawai'ian slack key music guys. This is the made in Hawai'i tour 2014.

Heres more info:

Concerts - Welcome to HoneeBee Productions

Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 AM

Aloha Guys,

A must see if you love slack key music or are from Hawai'i or Hawai'ian by heart.

Thursday, March 20th, 6:30pm *
Alpenrose Dairy Opera House, 6149 SW Shattuck Rd.*Portland, OR
Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festival "Portland Style," featuring Grammy Award-Winning Dennis Kamakahi, LT Smooth, Steven Inglis, Danny Carvalho, and special guest "Taimane," with emcee Harry B. Soria. *An evening of soothing music from a unique Hawaiian acoustic guitar art form known as "kiho'alo." *Established in 1982 in Hawaii, the festival was a way to honor great slack key musicians of Hawaii such as Gabby Pahinui, Sonny Chillingsworth, Atta Isaacs, Leonard Kwan, and Raymond Kane. This event is one of 50 events recognized as a "Must-See-Event" by the Acoustic Guitar Magazine

Heres more information
Ke Kukui Foundation :: Home

More stuff and updates to come as I get it. Further feel free to post any Portland Hawai'i related events or ono grindz places etc. Mahalo

Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM

I forgot to mention this yesterday. Don't be afraid to post comments about Hawai'ian food places, or events, or anything Hawai'i in Portland. Also don't be afraid to ask questions if your looking for something we didn't cover, we want to be of maximum service. Also please let me know if this thread is helpful? Mahalo, have great day

Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I enjoy the Hawaiian a festival in Vancouver during August(?) which reminds me of Oahu...hanging with my cousins at the zoo in Honolulu or the Iolani Fair.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I enjoy the Hawaiian a festival in Vancouver during August(?) which reminds me of Oahu...hanging with my cousins at the zoo in Honolulu or the Iolani Fair.
Aloha yes i believe your talking about the 3 Days of Aloha festival in Vancover Washington? This also is another awsome event put together by Ke Kukui Foundation, Kanaiolowalu and other hālau hulas?(if im wrong no insult intended) during or around July 24th-26th. Great Cultural Event. More info on this site.

Ke Kukui Foundation :: Home

Mahalo Yankeemama, tanks fo da post. I agree the Honolulu Zoo and lolani Fair are very unique.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:21 PM

Aloha,

One great experience while living in Hawai'i in the past was that Hawai'i was know for its Movie Houses. Little known fact that at one time Hawai'i had more movie houses per capita then the rest of the country. If you would like more info on this? A great book was published on this issue.

Theatres of Hawai'i - Lowell Angell - Google Books

But on topic, though every state had drive in movie theaters, that isn't unique. But what makes Hawai'i and Oregon special was how much it was loved in both states. Unfortantly all of the old drive ins in Hawai'i are gone, with an exception of a special event were an outside movie screen is erected to relive the experience. But Drive-in theater lives in Oregon. There is one left in Newberg Oregon just outside of Portland. They operate during the spring to fall.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:31 PM

(Continued from above post)

Heres somemore info.

NEWBERG Movies - 99W Drive-In, Twin Cinemas, Cameo Theatre

Also Portland has an unique tradition called flicks on the bricks that takes place in Pioneer Square every summer, every Friday night duing the event the city puts up a huge Movie Screen and shows old movies for free. Its a great experience.

Free Portland Movies @ Pioneer Square: 2012 "Flicks on The Bricks" | Karate Kid, ET, Clueless | Portland Events: Music, Festivals, Art, Theater, Film | PDXPIPELINE.com

Flicks on the Bricks | Portland Monthly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland