Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 PM

5,471 posts, read 8,203,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
If Paul Allen wants the NHL and he feels like he can get a team to the Moda Center at a fair price, he will do it and we'll have the NHL in PDX. Until then it's NBA and MLS and that's it for major pro sports.
The NBA and NHL seasons both begin in October and end in April.

Would a NHL team siphon ticket buyers away from the Blazers? Wouldn't they be competing with each other for a finite number of sports fan dollars in Portland?

Would Paul Allen want this?

Last edited by karlsch; 05-10-2015 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

Would a NHL team siphon ticket buyers away from the Blazers? Wouldn't they be competing with each other for a finite number of sports fan dollars in Portland?

I agree, this is definitely an issue, I like that with the NBA and MLS, there is very little overlap and it makes it easier to be fans of both teams.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,580,873 times
Paul Allen owns the arena so yes he would like it to have 40-50 more events there per year.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:53 AM

290 posts, read 289,204 times
Seattle is surely the NHL's first choice for another team in the PNW if they can get an arena built. But that's a big if. The downtown arena proposal has significant political and perhaps legal hurdles to clear before the promoter can even break ground. The recently-unveiled competing proposal south of town may be a better option, but like all such initiatives, it too is "fragile."

So if Seattle falls by the wayside or the NHL gets impatient, Portland could well be in line to pick up the pieces. There's a nice building all ready to go. And while the competition with the Blazers for the winter sports dollar would be a concern, the catchment area is sufficient. According to hockeydb.com, the Florida Panthers drew less than 11,300 per game this past season. It's hard to to believe that Portland wouldn't do much better than that.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:10 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,628,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
According to hockeydb.com, the Florida Panthers drew less than 11,300 per game this past season. It's hard to to believe that Portland wouldn't do much better than that.
The Panthers also report losses of $30 million a year and accumulated debt close to $300M, so they're not really a good yardstick for what you need to beat just to make it.

They're one of the teams most likely to come up for relocation whenever their lease expires or the owner wants to make a case for breaking it.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM

290 posts, read 289,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
The Panthers also report losses of $30 million a year and accumulated debt close to $300M, so they're not really a good yardstick for what you need to beat just to make it.

They're one of the teams most likely to come up for relocation whenever their lease expires or the owner wants to make a case for breaking it.
Although the numbers I found from Forbes are a bit less dire than what you mentioned, your point is valid. The Panthers in their current location are a financial basket case. Whether they could turn that around in Portland is the question. Portland would be a small-market team in a league where six teams (Toronto, NY, Montreal, Vancouver, Chicago, Boston) account for 76% of the operating income for the entire league. Every one of those teams enjoys substantial TV revenue by either being in a major market, in Canada (where a new, much more lucrative TV deal was signed a year ago) or both.

The resultant disparity in financial resources between the those six and the rest of the league suggests that the only way for a Portland (or Seattle, for that matter) franchise to be competitive on a regular basis is to have a deep-pocketed owner who'd be willing subsidize operating losses during the inevitable down years.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:02 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,031,459 times
It's just a matter of time before the NHL is here. I lived in New Jersey when the Devils arrived, and I lived in Orange County CA when the Ducks started up. Now I live in Portland. Clearly the NHL is following me.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:05 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,207,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

Seems most studies have demonstrated there is very little overlap between NBA and NHL fans in most/all markets. Yes, they compete with each other in their respective markets...but when the NHL had a couple of lockouts, I don't recall inflated tv numbers for the NBA (and vice versa). It's hard to follow both sports closely as a fan since many of the games are on tv head-to head, thus the distinct audiences.

In many NHL/NBA regions or cities, the hockey team's TV ratings surpass the NBA in certain years, or are reasonably close. In Florida, though, their tv ratings are abysmal and get crushed by the Heat. Another reason they could consider PDX. And of course other cities have the NBA team blowing the NHL team away in TV ratings. But it's encouraging that hockey can compete in certain markets.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
I don't give a fig one way or the other whether or not there is a NHL team based in Portland as long as the tax payers don't have to build or support an arena for them.

They can be here, they can not be here, I don't care as long as I don't have to pay for them.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't give a fig one way or the other whether or not there is a NHL team based in Portland as long as the tax payers don't have to build or support an arena for them.

They can be here, they can not be here, I don't care as long as I don't have to pay for them.
Seeing we have the Moda Center, that wouldn't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland