Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:49 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
You don't think people lose their housing- can't find an equivalent - and become homeless?

should they magically disappear somewhere?
^^THIS- and it's the same if not worse up here in Seattle!
I wish I could find the thread where a woman here who has the statistics and math to go with it,,gave a talk that for every $100 rise in this TOTALLY insane rent we all have going on (mine rose $300 this year) equaled x100's new homeless (cannot remember how many hundreds per $100) I don't believe in the "move here to be homeless theory" sorry-I'm too close to the edge when I once not too long ago had a decent life !

The worst part is trying to save up to move(again) while trying to keep a roof over your head. We will probably exit the PNW next year. We're wasting what money we do have.

The last time I was in Portland we met a 70+ year old woman with her shopping cart trying to get"ready for winter"because the shelters were 3 years full. This is ridiculous-I seriously doubt she moved there to be homeless.
More like her husband died, his SS will buy her nothing to live in anymore in her own town ,and affordable housing waits are years if not closed (like up here too).

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 04-09-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 AM

846 posts, read 610,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
^^THIS- and it's the same if not worse up here in Seattle!
I wish I could find the thread where a woman here who has the statistics and math to go with it,,gave a talk that for every $100 rise in this TOTALLY insane rent we all have going on (mine rose $300 this year) equaled x100's new homeless (cannot remember how many hundreds per $100) I don't believe in the "move here to be homeless theory" sorry-I'm too close to the edge when I once not too long ago had a decent life !

The worst part is trying to save up to move(again) while trying to keep a roof over your head. We will probably exit the PNW next year. We're wasting what money we do have.

The last time I was in Portland we met a 70+ year old woman with her shopping cart trying to get"ready for winter"because the shelters were 3 years full. This is ridiculous-I seriously doubt she moved there to be homeless.
More like her husband died, his SS will buy her nothing to live in anymore in her own town ,and affordable housing waits are years if not closed (like up here too).
If I had a very limited income or had very little I would move to a place where col is much cheaper. I could probably live off a $12,000 a year easily in a place like Columbia SC. I could get by on less if I moved into a place with multiple tenants.

A physically able bodied person could easily make $40,000 plus a year in the burbs by simply doing labor jobs in the neighborhood. If I were a young adult, I definitely would not be working at McDees. I could make $15-$20 an hour by cleaning houses or yard work. There is a demand.

There are options available for those who have the desire and physically able to provide services.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:58 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
' City of Denver giving homeless people one-way bus tickets out of town to Portland OR. '

It isn't just Denver..............it can spin the other way, too...................don't see anything wrong with this.

Quote:
In theory, identifying homeless residents who want to leave town in order to reunite with family or accept a job opportunity elsewhere can be a productive step toward stability. Portland will only provide a ticket to people if staff can verify that family or friends will be waiting at the other end of the bus ride to provide shelter and support. The city says it will provide tickets to people who ask for them, rather than cajoling or forcing people to get out of town.

https://thinkprogress.org/oregon-jus...s-dc85fdb6eb01

Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
What about the 30 year old male who has been out of prison a time or two, won't give up the booze and meth, lives in a tent on the fringes, trashes wherever he lives and supports himself by begging through intimidation, breaking into cars, stealing bikes and burglarizing houses?

All homeless aren't good folks that are just down on their luck!

There is a hell of alot of these people too..............just read nextdoor.dot.com sometime...........

Old 04-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Having paid almost $100,000 in rent here over the past 15 years, I think that if I become homeless, I should deserve better than those who paid nothing to live in squalid drug and alcohol infested camps. Just sayin'...
I would think that if you were responsible enough to have some sort of income where you have spent $100k+ in rent through the years, you would be really pissed that some of that money that went to fund some of the operations of the city of Portland that were spent to enhance the lives of lowlife criminal homeless people that are trashing our town instead of being used to enhance your particular situation.

Why do the hardworking citizens of this town just throw away their hard earned money on these people when it could be spent on making their town more liveable, secure, safe, cleaner, and a place where a responsible, mature, adult citizen can see the positive results of their tax dollars being spent and enjoy living here?

Help the people that need help.
Get rid of the criminal career freeloading homeless people.
More money can be spent on the ones that need help, and life would be better for everyone.

Instead we waste our hard won tax dollars on crap like this:

I count at least 15 people cleaning up this homeless camp.
I am betting that it wasn't populated by a bunch of old frail 70 year old widowed homeless ladies sitting around knitting and relaxing in the warm afternoon sunshine.

That's 1200 bucks a day for labor alone if you were paying these guys 10 bucks an hour.
Add the costs of toxic waste containment, transportion to the dump, hazardous material handling fees, etc.... What could have that money be better spent on?
Mental health services maybe?

Think about it!

THIS IS WHAT IS ALL OVER PORTLAND!!!!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 04-09-2017 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 12:39 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
Gross.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:52 AM

333 posts, read 329,066 times
I'm pretty sure that there is all that trash because they have nowhere to put their stuff. They have nowhere to put their stuff because they're homeless. I don't know what showing pictures of homeless peoples trash proves. Those of us with homes undoubtedly generate more trash than they do. Difference is, we have trash service, because we're not homeless. Trash trucks don't stop by homeless camps, so the trash piles up. No trash service = trash piling up.

I don't like it either, but I have empathy for them. I'm sure they don't like living among their own garbage either, but until they're not homeless or trash services start coming around to pick up their trash, that's how it will be. Maybe the city should distribute trash bags to them and sharps containers and send around garbage trucks periodically. Give them a choice, then we can condemn them if they don't avail themselves of the service. There is actually a tent camper near downtown that I've seen for the last few months that has a trash can and recycling bin. His camp is actually really tidy. I wonder if he's got some sort of trash service deal going on?

Here are some pictures of what happens when nice people with homes have to live without garbage service. Look familiar?

Last edited by EasyBeezy; 04-10-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
If I had a very limited income or had very little I would move to a place where col is much cheaper. I could probably live off a $12,000 a year easily in a place like Columbia SC. I could get by on less if I moved into a place with multiple tenants.

A physically able bodied person could easily make $40,000 plus a year in the burbs by simply doing labor jobs in the neighborhood. If I were a young adult, I definitely would not be working at McDees. I could make $15-$20 an hour by cleaning houses or yard work. There is a demand.

There are options available for those who have the desire and physically able to provide services.
Portland's COL is not MUCH higher than the COL of Columbia, SC. It is higher, yes, but if you cannot survive in PDX you will find it just about as hard to make it in Columbia. Maybe harder if you never lived there before in your life. You really think an employer in SC is going to think much of some waster from the PNW? They probably have a three syllable name for people from here over there. A LOT of not very old adults are going blind from macular degeneration, diabetes, RP and other causes. My wife works with them. A lot of them talked like you when they were 30. Now they are 55 and can't see that well anymore. They are ******. We aren't talking about a few dozen snowflakes. We are talking about thousands in Oregon alone. Thousands every year.

The outrage, and recent threads are full of it, is misdirected. When thousands of people are dying from Fentanyl overdoses, living under tarpaulins with 225 sq.ft. of refuse around them... can a rational person really direct their anger and/or disgust at them??? Does the rational person not wonder instead WHAT. What on earth could break SO MANY, so profoundly??? It CANNOT be some contemptible lack of character, or moral fiber that results in the masses of indigent people roaming American streets. Please, just stop the repeated and empty tirades against the homeless themselves and lets start some productive discussion on how to help people not get like this in the first place.

There is NO WAY that someone who has lived under a tarp for two years is employable. Not anymore. We cannot help the homeless. They are done. We CAN help the next generation, and the way to do that is stop giving Intel and companies like it $100M/yr tax breaks. Instead of meeting budget needs by passing measure 97. We are now scrambling to close a $1.6B budget gap and we are fine with that. We shouldn't be. Or maybe its ok that the wealthy job creators continue to be above the need to contribute in any way to the maintenance of a reasonable standard of living for everyone. I am not judging. I am observing that the homeless are a RESULT of allowing the wealthiest, best placed, most reliable sources of revenue for social programs, education and opportunity are given a pass. Don't complain when you see homeless if your ideology supports the continuance of the status quo.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
Here are some pictures of what happens when nice people with homes have to live without garbage service. Look familiar?
We were posting at the same time! I wish I had seen your post before I went off on my typically emotional tear. You have put it far more eloquently than I could. I did think there was something intrinsic in being homeless that caused people to generate all that refuse. Your observation puts a different light on it. Not that it changes the reality. Or the fix. MONEY is the only thing that will fix the problem. Lots of money. Money is the reason a lot of things that need fixing haven't been fixed. So sad. We are going to stand around wringing our hands and pointing fingers until the whole thing crashes and burns because we can't man up and take back some of OUR money from the rich.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Ballpark estimate Mike... what percent of our homeless do you really think are "criminal lowlifes" that don't deserve any help from us? And putting them on buses to other cities is ILLEGAL, if they are legal residents of Portland. Even if you think that is what other cities are doing! You really do yourself a disservice when you say stuff like that in open forum.
I don't know "what percentage" of the homeless are criminal.
But when a homeless camp moves in, petty crime goes up, the area gets trashed, people are afraid to walk down neighborhood streets, drug needles laying around, you name it.
Why should I, as a hardworking, tax paying honest citizen have to put up with this crap?
All least I have the balls to be honest and say what I see, which is a bunch of disgusting lowlifes screwing up our town.
Downtown USED to be a fun place to go.
Not anymore.
What do you think the major change has been?

Not the tourists, not the business owners, not the people that work downtown, not the PSU students.
You guessed it!

All I am saying is get rid of the ones that are causing all those kinds of problems and help the rest.

Not every homeless person is some poor honest hardworking guy that is down on his luck and just needs some "Love and Empathy and Tolerance".
There are a lot of bad apples out there.
Again, deal with those bad apples and help the good ones that really want help.

How many stories have you heard about bike "chop shops" being found?

Would your opinion change if you woke up tomorrow morning and found your all family's bikes stolen, called the cops and they told you "Oh well, there is nothing we can do about it, better luck next time?"

Would you be all warm and fuzzy and let it go, thinking it's OK, it's just some poor destitute homeless person that just paid for his beer, heroin and meth for the day, and I can just get another bunch of bikes?

Come on, be realistic.

I am sick and tired of homeless miscreants running roughshod over Portland and seeing the good citizens of Portland get frustrated that the leaders of Portland can't decide what to do about it, even twenty years after they identified that Portland has a homeless problem?

I thought Portland was better than that.

As far as your comment about busing homeless out is ILLEGAL, ANOTHER poster tried to post a link about Denver doing that, and when I googled it, I found out that Portland also does it.
Did you read the article or the excerpt from it that I posted?

Go back and review.
It's a voluntary program. They are not rounding up homeless people and trucking them out against their will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland