Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 AM

493 posts, read 665,563 times

Advertisements

Moved here without a job and now you're leaving after a year? I should wonder why you bothered in the first place. Just was a bit of a let down I take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 AM

493 posts, read 665,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I can't answer for the OP but I want to make a comment about the value of research. My husband and I are both intelligent and we read a TON of stuff before we moved to Portland. On paper and online, it looked like the perfect place for us. In real life, we were unhappy. Research is a pale substitute for experience.
True. I would never move anywhere I hadn't first visited at least for a weekend. Pictures and descriptions never do any place justice.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
That's a really great post. I'm also curious where you are heading to now?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM

48 posts, read 139,182 times
I must agree. The motivational factor really got to me. I now live in Austin, TX for 2 reasons: kids have sun / yard & motivated people.

I feel Portland is the most amazing place in the entire world a person can live.... until they decide they would like to truly work hard & succeed in life. Note: This is based on what America calls success. After graduating college & getting a good job, I began noticing how Portland raises taxes on everything they can without ever asking where the money is going. This didn't bother me when I was in college, but once I actually became someone who pays taxes it got to me.

Now.... I have been in Austin 3 yrs & I must say..... I miss Portland. I have come to the realization that making > twice the income & having a big yard is not all it has cracked up to be. I have 3 kids & they would rather spend time with me than have me come home & purchase them a new video game. For this preference put so well by my children, I have accepted that a "lack of motivation" is not such a bad thing..... so long as this person does not depend on the government to take care of them.

To conclude: I have lived all over the US. I have 2 BS degrees & manage IT in Texas making twice what I'll make in Portland. But guess what..... I'm moving back. In choosing between the family / environment / community first attitude of Portland vs the time / money / work attitude in most all major US cities.... I choose the former.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 AM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
To the OP: Fantastic post that is pretty spot on in all areas!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlinjames View Post
In choosing between the family / environment / community first attitude of Portland vs the time / money / work attitude in most all major US cities.... I choose the former.
I'm not sure I follow you. Don't these qualities/priorities come from within?

What prevents you from prioritizing family/environment/community in TX?

And on the other hand living here does not provide you immunity from chasing time/money/work. If anything it becomes more difficult to not focus on these things since jobs are tight, wages are low and cost of living is high.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 AM

48 posts, read 139,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
I'm not sure I follow you. Don't these qualities/priorities come from within?

What prevents you from prioritizing family/environment/community in TX?

And on the other hand living here does not provide you immunity from chasing time/money/work. If anything it becomes more difficult to not focus on these things since jobs are tight, wages are low and cost of living is high.
They come from within but are influenced greatly by environment. I have a strong type A personality. Some people need influence to motivate themselves..... I need influence to relax. Things are much more laid back in Portland, much like small towns in rural areas. That along with the cloudiness, I have less energy but I'm significantly less stressed out. Call it what you wish.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:18 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I think there's a balance between hard work and achievement, and keeping everything on an relaxing and even pace. You get out of life what you put into it. Work applies to everything in my opinion that you do for fulfillment (money, community service, family) and if you make a choice for what you want you will have to be happy with what that choice entails. There are a good number of people in Portland who are just like that, I'm happy for people who do what they are happy at...no matter what that really is.

What bugs me is to see the different types of situations where people can claim they are not motivated by money, but only because it makes them look better to be a stagnant waste doing the mandatory minimum and wishing to strike it rich. It's pretty easy to see it first hand. I have seen it when people ask what I do, and after answering they go into a speech about how they are motivated by passion, or social good, or their muse...and not something as materialistic/petty as little old money/career. The people who really are motivated by those usually just say "Oh, cool".

Not that they aren't everywhere, but it seems more accepted to be a starving artist or activist in Pac NW.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 17,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlinjames View Post
They come from within but are influenced greatly by environment. I have a strong type A personality. Some people need influence to motivate themselves..... I need influence to relax. Things are much more laid back in Portland, much like small towns in rural areas. That along with the cloudiness, I have less energy but I'm significantly less stressed out. Call it what you wish.
I agree. I made more money and had a bigger home in Alabama compared to Oregon, but living there was an absolute drag. Who cares about money if you're miserable? Quality of life, to me, is much more important.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Sundaysmile I think your post was very thoughtfully written and expressed your feelings in a non-judgmental way since you emphasized you were giving your feelings and your observations. But it is interesting that there are a few here who will argue with you simply because you gave a negative view on certain issues. That is something that I do not understand. One can't aruge with someone else's experiences. It's not like you are say "It's this and it's that absolutely."
It's this lack of people allowing other people's opinions to be had that bothers me about so many in this town. I have been negative about some of Portland's issues but positive about others. Yet it is the negatives I have been shot down for as if I don't have the right to have or express them.
I like your comments good and bad. I wish you the best of luck in where ever you wind up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland