Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 PM

27 posts, read 80,107 times

Advertisements

I moved here 10 years ago. I do like Portland. But now with rents going higher finding hard to afford living here on lower scale salary.

Figuring that maybe some other cities may be just as affordable as Portland. At least have better salaries to afford increasing rents.

Who else is considering a move?

Seattle, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Madison, Santa Fe....

The world is your oyster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 05:46 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
I don't know a lot about the other cities, but Seattle is more expensive than Portland, doesn't have as good of a public transportation system and has just as many kids who hang out and probably more homeless, just spread out a bit more....Jobs might pay a bit more but...probably not enough to make a huge difference if you're only making 25K here. We researched Seattle and Portland before moving here and even 7 years ago the difference was pretty huge. Maybe the other cities are cheaper?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 AM

47 posts, read 241,347 times
again, this is a nationwide problem, it only takes 7 years to screw a country up this bad. but then again, it's pretty much a worldwide problem, people are struggling everywhere, I don't think it's just Portland, it couldn't be really. city economies are based on the national economy based on world economy based on oil, really, in the end. oil is running low planetarily. find a cave and make a spear for a good job and low cost of living, oh, and some wilderness. this is our society. revolution won't come until it gets worse. not to be a downer or anything but my limited education and perception of reality leads me to cynical pessimism sometimes, maybe it's just my common sense, at least what i think common sense is. anyway, no need to demonize portland is there? maybe there is, i've never been there and i guess i tend to talk down on hawaii so i'm no better than anyone, not that i thought i was......k, well, carry on then.

Last edited by insanityincredibly; 10-02-2007 at 12:15 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 AM

382 posts, read 954,430 times
I lived in the Portland area for almost 20 years from the late 70's to the mid 90's. At one time in the late 70's there was almost no building going on and real estate was being given away at bargain prices. Remember Jimmy Carter's high interest rates? Very stagnant environment. In the late 80's, early 90's the huge influx of people moving to Portland especially from California started to drive up prices and rents. As far as the downtown areas of most cities, they have been industrial, or ghetto or both and in many cities there have been revitalization efforts going on. Well, it costs money to revitalize and once done there has to be a return on investment, that drives up values and rents. Seattle is much more expensive then Portland.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanityincredibly View Post
again, this is a nationwide problem, it only takes 7 years to screw a country up this bad. but then again, it's pretty much a worldwide problem, people are struggling everywhere, I don't think it's just Portland, it couldn't be really.
Oregon's economy has been up and down and out of step with the national economy quite a few times. Rarely did we prosper when the national trend was down though. Other cities have become hotspots economically. They may not offer the scenic beauty of Oregon, but a steady economy has a beauty all its own. Think outside the box. What you want isn't always what you need. Needs first, wants second.

Squidlo

Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
I'm moving, mainly due to the bad weather. I'll probably rent out my 1BD/1BA condo for several months, while I try out another city.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:54 PM

845 posts, read 2,744,005 times
I have been living in Portland for 1 year and am already looking to relocate. I moved here from Florida and did not do much research or visit Portland prior to my move. I was not aware of the gloom and constant cold weather. I am also in my mid-20's and like to go clubbing and Portland does not have much of a night-life, at least compared to Miami. The lack of diversity also bothers me.

But I moved up here cause I wanted a change and I am glad I did. The northwest is a beautiful part of the country and I am glad I got to experience living here. But this place just isnt for me. I dont know for sure where I will move next, but I dont plan on making that decision for a few months.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM

27 posts, read 80,107 times
I found this cool website that will calculate how much you need to earn in other cities compared to the salary you make in your current city.

It's on Salary.com and its the cost of living wizard.

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...coll_start.asp

Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 PM

49 posts, read 233,552 times
Thanks for the salary link. That was very helpful

Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,424 times
Come to Atlanta. That's where I'm from, and I want to move to Portland!

Atlanta is very nice, lots of sunshine, great shopping, and very good job market. Too hot for me though - I need to live somewhere cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland