Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,341 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband has been asked to transfer to his company's Portland office. We currently live in Seattle and have been enjoying it very much (been here for 9 months), but we're seriously considering the idea. The cost of living is lower, Portland has easy access to outdoor rec, etc.

I'd like some recommendations on neighborhoods and schools. We drove down last weekend and very much liked what we saw -- we'll miss being on the Sound, though. We explored the SW neighborhoods of Hillsdale, Raleigh Hills, Multnomah Village. Very pretty, sounds like the schools are good. But we both fell in love with the NE corner of the city -- Irvington, Alameda and the area around Alberta, I believe its called. But it seems like the NE neighborhoods are mostly out of our price range (under $350K).

We have a 17-month-old daughter and would like to be able to send her, with confidence, to public schools, but I'm starting to open up my philosophical stance on education to include private schools. Maybe.

So, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 PM

Wow, no thoughts? Is there another thread on this forum I should read instead? Could someone direct me?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:42 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I think many are on vacation. I have my roots in the west side so am not really knowledgeable about east side grade schools. Of those on your list that I know: the Arlington and Hillsdale neighborhoods have always had strong schools.

Public schools nation wide are receiving less funding from the State so parental involvement in the school and with their children's education will be paramount. With the amount of unemployment I venture that even private schools are having a tough time. There is a website that publishes public school test results, I think if you search this forum you can find it.

You must be renting in Seattle, else moving wouldn't be so easy. Were I new to Portland I would rent in the neighborhood I was interested in... try before you buy so to speak. During that time explore the community. There are lots of neat neighborhoods in Portland that you might be happy living in. Home prices won't be increasing soon.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Alameda Elementary is one of the best and most desired elementary schools in Portland. If you can find somewhere around there go for it. There are other good ones as well, but the Alameda/Grant cluster and Lincoln cluster have the best test scores (and of course are all in expensive neighborhoods).

Old 08-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the advice. This lines up with the research I've been doing elsewhere. I'm trying to learn more about PPS charter schools as well. Yes, we are renting in Seattle and won't buy anything until we sell our place in Colorado (where we were living before Seattle). We intend to rent in an area we are interested in settling down in and see if we like it.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,666 times
Oregon Dept of Education website has information on school statistics. The vicinity around Jefferson High School is best avoided. That school has gotten "unacceptable" scores for many years in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: