Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:30 PM

16 posts, read 126,390 times

Advertisements

This isn't meant to be just a bitter piece.

But I moved to Portland in January and I still can't stand it. I find very little about the city and the people that I actually enjoy.

I would like to know why you like Portland or why you don't like it.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgee View Post
This isn't meant to be just a bitter piece.

But I moved to Portland in January and I still can't stand it. I find very little about the city and the people that I actually enjoy.

I would like to know why you like Portland or why you don't like it.
You don't say what you don't like about it.

I don't live in Portland, but I like Powell's Books and the Ace Hotel.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 PM

I don't like the people here. I can't even really explain it, but I've yet to meet someone I could actually see myself hanging out with more than once.

The city dies down so quickly. Delivery is impossible. Lunch options are limited.

There is so much, but it also pretty vague. But whenever I go out, I just feel an urge to run away from everything in this town.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I don't like the people here. I can't even really explain it, but I've yet to meet someone I could actually see myself hanging out with more than once.

The city dies down so quickly. Delivery is impossible. Lunch options are limited.

There is so much, but it also pretty vague. But whenever I go out, I just feel an urge to run away from everything in this town.
Where did you move to Portland from?

It sounds like the social scene is why you're unhappy.

My son lives in Portland and loves it, but everyplace isn't for everyone.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:51 PM

I moved from New York. And it's not the social scene, I don't go out to bars or clubs, I'm talking about being able to get lunch from someone that isn't Subway, or be able to get delivery.

Like I said, I think my main gripe is the people here.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,214 times
Five months, or thereabouts, is not very long to decide whether you like a place or not. But if your gut reaction is "get me outta here" there's not much that you can do about it.

Good things about PDX : undeniably gorgeous summers!
the proximity of the ocean
the Columbia River Gorge
Trader Joe's, Whole Foods (grocery stores)
fresh vegetable markets

Bad things about PDX: Expensive relative to a living wage
People can be quite insular
High taxes
Too large a city for my taste
an under current of extreme redneckness
There are other cities which I enjoyed living in much more

Hope you either learn to enjoy your stay, or are able to leave and find someplace more to your liking.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I moved from New York. And it's not the social scene, I don't go out to bars or clubs, I'm talking about being able to get lunch from someone that isn't Subway, or be able to get delivery.

What is it about the people that you don't like?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,214 times
Quote:

OK. I posted the previous entry while you two were writing.

I moved here from New York as well. HAHAHA, forget about delivery.

And frankly, in New York I met people who were extremely friendly, honest and open, if a bit short on the saccharin civilities. And they remain my friends to this day. There's a distinct kind of superficial friendliness here, maybe the entire west coast. Is that kind of what you are talking about?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Five months, or thereabouts, is not very long to decide whether you like a place or not. But if your gut reaction is "get me outta here" there's not much that you can do about it.

Good things about PDX : undeniably gorgeous summers!
the proximity of the ocean
the Columbia River Gorge
Trader Joe's, Whole Foods (grocery stores)
fresh vegetable markets

Bad things about PDX: Expensive relative to a living wage
People can be quite insular
High taxes
Too large a city for my taste
an under current of extreme redneckness
There are other cities which I enjoyed living in much more

Hope you either learn to enjoy your stay, or are able to leave and find someplace more to your liking.
Thank you. I hope I can stomach the stay until I am able to leave.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
OK. I posted the previous entry while you two were writing.

I moved here from New York as well. HAHAHA, forget about delivery.

And frankly, in New York I met people who were extremely friendly, honest and open, if a bit short on the saccharin civilities. And they remain my friends to this day. There's a distinct kind of superficial friendliness here, maybe the entire west coast. Is that kind of what you are talking about?
That is very amusing because I completely agreed with your last post.

And as for why I don't like the people, they do seem a little fake nice. But they also don't seem to know how to loosen up and have fun, how to really be themselves, they just take snippets from things they've heard and recycle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland