Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieEve View Post
Trust me men can have children into their 60's and beyond. The woman is the one that has the ticking biological clock
Perhaps you are just naturally fertile like I am. Wow you had a baby at 47????
Yeah, I realize men HAVE had children even in their 80's! And women have had children naturally in their 50's. I'm just saying that men can, and do have MORE infertility issues [contrary to popular belief] when they get older. There IS a decline in quantity and mobility. Probably, most men [or people for that matter] don't even realize that is the case, so they may not feel that "ticking biological clock". I'm just guessing here, since I'm not a fertility doctor, but, if both the man and woman are over 40, then chances to conceive probably decline slightly more than if only the woman is over 40.
But, I still think that the OP and his wife can be very optimistic on a great outcome. Just get help sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,293 times
My husband and I are both 38 and I agree with the others: start testing ASAP.

It took us six months exactly to become pregnant, but I had a miscarriage. I am now pregnant again after testing. We are lucky as we were about to do IUI.

It takes a long time to do all of the tests before you can even start treatment as some of the tests for women can only be performed on certain days in her cycle. I highly recommend getting an HSG as soon as possible to check for blocked tubes. Anecdotally, I know many women who have become pregnant the cycle after that test. My OB jokes that it helps to get the schmutz out.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:14 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,679 times
I am 35 and my husband is 38. We conceived last year after 3 months of trying (3 cycles off the pill for me). I suffered a missed-miscarriage with that pregnancy that resulted in a D&C at 11 weeks which was mid-May.

In September, after 3 cycles of trying, I got pregnant again. We were doing ovulation tracking, since after the D&C, my cycles lengthened from 28 to 32 days and I wasn't sure when I was ovulating. Surprisingly, I conceived again in September and learned at my 12 week ultrasound last week that we are expecting identical twins. What a whirlwind, but such a happy one. Our family will get the news on Thanksgiving.

I don't see anything wrong with consulting with a Perinatologist now. I have been transferred to one due to the twins and my 35 and older status. They are very informative and reassuring.

Also, if she isn't already, your wife needs to be taking a high quality prenatal and eating well. I would also recommend researching the herb Vitex to see if that is something she'd be willing to try. Works well for anyone with irregular cycles and has been known to improve fertility.

Best wishes to you.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,115 times
Tell your doctor to at least check a FSH for your wifey and a semenanalysis for you. That way you won't be wasting your time and can go straight to treatment. It's absurd when they tell you to wait. They should be starting the workup at the same time you are trying! So by the time you finish with month 6, you have all the labwork and testing finished and ready to IUI/IVF!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM

144 posts, read 307,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hi All,

I am almost 41 and working on having a child. My wife and I have had for unsuccessfull months and so far I am not sure month 5 will take either. Her doctor said to try for about six months then if nothing happens we will get checked for fertility. How long did it take for some of you who were planning? And what did you do to help the process?
UPDATE: After 6 months of trying we got it done! That was close, We did wait the 6 months like the doctor said and just when we were about ready to pick up the phone and schedule fertility testing wifey tested pregnant. She is 8wks in now and going for 1st ultrasound next week.

I still worry however she is not that far into pregnancy, and we both realize there are still chances of miscarrage.

thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:58 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Congratulations!!!

Quote:
I still worry however she is not that far into pregnancy
Um... yea... hate to tell ya' but that whole worry thing.... that won't stop for a minimum of oh... say the next 18 years!

Wait til he/she sleeps through the night for the first time. You'll be here posting "my baby didn't get up all night! Sho9uld I be worried!"
hahaha

Welcome to the club!
<--- 5 month old here, "older parents"

Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 PM

144 posts, read 307,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Congratulations!!!

Um... yea... hate to tell ya' but that whole worry thing.... that won't stop for a minimum of oh... say the next 18 years!

Wait til he/she sleeps through the night for the first time. You'll be here posting "my baby didn't get up all night! Sho9uld I be worried!"
hahaha

Welcome to the club!
<--- 5 month old here, "older parents"
Ha Ha, Guess I better start eating anti-stress vitamins like it was candy for at least next 18 years.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 AM

247 posts, read 498,694 times
Quote:
UPDATE: After 6 months of trying we got it done! That was close, We did wait the 6 months like the doctor said and just when we were about ready to pick up the phone and schedule fertility testing wifey tested pregnant. She is 8wks in now and going for 1st ultrasound next week.

I still worry however she is not that far into pregnancy, and we both realize there are still chances of miscarrage.

thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Congrats on your new little blessing!

Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. - Psalm 127:3

Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
Myself 32, husband 40 when we conceived our oldest, first month of trying.
Myself 35, husband almost 43 when we conceived our youngest, third month of trying.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
My oldest childhood friend, 40 and her boyfriend, 55 just had an "oops!". They were each married to others that had children previously but neither became a 'natural' parent despite years of trying. They've been together for 3 years and both just thought they couldn't.

They're due in August.

My other bf and his wife (43 and 42) have been tried for 1 year before discovering that she cannot. Very sad for both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy