Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
I don't live in America so can't comment on that. I was never harsh with my children and don't know of any parents who were but we definately gave them guidance and expected certain standards. Autism seems to be a modern disability, even though the previous poster said she has a 39 year old relative that she THINKS has it........only thinks? Hasn't it been diagnosed? Doctors are usually quick to put a name these days to anything
Doctors and researchers are trying so hard to figure out why there seem to be so many more cases now than there used to be. You don't think someone would have come up with "lack of discipline" by now if there were even a remote chance that was the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 03:11 PM

499 posts, read 580,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
If you knew anything about autism spectrum disorders you wouldn't say that. You obviously don't know anything about them. It isn't misbehavior. I can barely type, I am so disgusted with your posts. It is obvious you wouldn't know a kid with autism if one was standing right beside you so why don't you refrain from commenting on things you know nothing about?

Autism: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Better yet, educate yourself a little. Read the signs of autism, and ask yourself what part of that sounds like lack of discipline. The lack of eye contact? The lack of verbal communication? The repetitive motion? The robot-like speech? Try curing any of that with some discipline.
Just explain to me why it didn't happen to children years ago?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,618 times
Quote:
Obviously a lack of discipline. Same thing with peanut allergies, most likely. Just tell your kids to eat their darn peanuts, and if they go into shock, then they need to SUCK IT UP AND GET OVER IT!

Who needs "doctos" and "emergency rooms". Just speak sternly to your kids and send them to their room and they'll be fine! I'm sure they're just faking all those "symptoms" to avoid eating peanuts because lord knows kids HATE peanut butter!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel like that but we are all entitled to our opinions. How come it is such a modern affliction? It didn't appear to happen years ago! I wonder why? We all know that discipline has gone out of the window in most young families, usually one parent and couldn't care less attitude. Don't you think that might have some bearing on the children's behaviour?
I'm guessing that you have little to no experience with or exposure to people with autism. Autism is marked with significant delay in more than one area of development, such as communication, socialization, academics, or age-appropriate behavior. The idea that autism could have been cured or prevented with time-outs or more spanking is ... well, it's ludicrous. It's not a behavioral issue. It's neurological.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm guessing that you have little to no experience with or exposure to people with autism. Autism is marked with significant delay in more than one area of development, such as communication, socialization, academics, or age-appropriate behavior. The idea that autism could have been cured or prevented with time-outs or more spanking is ... well, it's ludicrous. It's not a behavioral issue. It's neurological.
thank you. You said that much better than I did.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
If I knew the answer to that I'd make millions Why is that your only issue? What about how autism presents? What about the signs and symptoms I pointed out? There are all kinds of things in our environment that we are exposed to now that we weren't a generation ago. Chemical, toxins, all kinds of things. Why is discipline the only explanation you can think of? Plus, advancements in prenatal care have given kids a chance to survive who would have died in previous generations. Maybe most of the kids who would have turned out to have autism wouldn't have survived to toddlerhood 40 years ago.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:44 PM

175 posts, read 296,378 times
Apparently, the roots of autism go back a little further than Quenelle is aware. The word dates back more than 100 years, and similar traits to the disease we know indeed go back to the 40's.

A History of Autism

Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,152 times
Quote:
I'm sure it did happen to children years ago. I grew up in England and am probably around the same vintage as you. There were two "Lunatic Asylums" (yes, that's what they were called) close to where I lived and - for some reason - almost every year in high school (early 1960's) our class trekked to one or another of these hospitals and visited the children's ward. I'm not clear on the purpose of these visits - to scare us witless, or to cheer up the kids. Anyway, while there were a number of kids who clearly had severe mental (and often physical) disabilities, I'd be willing to bet that a good few of them were simply on the autism spectrum and, with the knowledge and treatments that we have now for this disorder, would have been living happily and productively at home.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I'm sure it did happen to children years ago. I grew up in England and am probably around the same vintage as you. There were two "Lunatic Asylums" (yes, that's what they were called) close to where I lived and - for some reason - almost every year in high school (early 1960's) our class trekked to one or another of these hospitals and visited the children's ward. I'm not clear on the purpose of these visits - to scare us witless, or to cheer up the kids. Anyway, while there were a number of kids who clearly had severe mental (and often physical) disabilities, I'd be willing to bet that a good few of them were simply on the autism spectrum and, with the knowledge and treatments that we have now for this disorder, would have been living happily and productively at home.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 PM

156 posts, read 694,542 times
Quote:
It has. You just never heard of it because they were institutionalized. Or they were misdiagnosed as many autistic sx mimic psychiatric sx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy