Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times

Advertisements

Today I'm a week past my "estimated due date". Just wondering if anyone has any experience, advice, anecdotes, etc about going overdue. Something to read while I wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,807 times
It's a funny place you are in (notwithstanding the discomfort). When people ask, when you are due, you say "A week ago". Ha! Well, I was one week overdue and nothing was happening, no dropping, nothing. A young resident doctor wanted to induce the next day... I said, no way on the 13th... Waited for another week, nothing still... At 42 weeks and some days, they finally said, it's time. I was induced (cream) and we still walked around in the city, dining in a restaurant... By the evening, the labor started... then epidural and I slept until 8am when the pushing started. My daughter didnt' want to come out then, neither. They applied a suction cup on her head, and she finally made her entrance. She was 1 ounce shy of 9 lbs.

I think my body's personal rate of pregnancy may have been 43 weeks or so... With the second, I didn't want to wait till all those overdue weeks, so we induced at 39 weeks. He still was 2 ounces shy of 9 lbs lol. Kinda still wondering, what my kids real birth days are....

Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Today I'm a week past my "estimated due date". Just wondering if anyone has any experience, advice, anecdotes, etc about going overdue. Something to read while I wait!
Oy, the waiting, the waiting! It's enough to drive you up the wall, isn't it?? All three of my kids were induced. The first two were a couple of days late, and the third was a week early.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,546,190 times
My wife was 2 weeks late and induced. The waiting was tough. Thinking about it later, she believes they got her due date wrong and was a little upset they induced her. It was a very long and difficult birth. Had we just waited a little longer it could have been easier. Just think that the longer you go without being induced, the smoother things might go.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
I love that scene in Roseanne when her sister Jackie was expecting a baby. She was a couple of days overdue and starting to freak out. Roseanne tried to reassure her, saying it had just been two days. Jackie grabbed her and screamed, "I HAVE A TWO-DAY-OLD CHILD INSIDE OF ME!"

Old 04-23-2009, 10:29 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,986,315 times
I know it's hard, but your baby will come when he/she is ready. I went a week early with my son, so when I had my daughter on my due date, I already thought she was a week late... I had spent the whole pregnancy thinking "oh, I'll have her at 39 weeks like my first." HA!

My SIL had both of her kids a week late, and had easy, quick, and unmedicated labors. One of my friends had her son 15 days late. It was a VBAC, and she was SO proud to push out that big 9 lb baby, despite the doctor at the hospital insisting that she sign the release for a repeat c-section due to "failure to progress" (she didn't, obviously, and it was not failure to progress... he simply did not feel like waiting around).

Eat eggplant parmesan and pineapple. Have sex. Drive on bumpy roads. Okay, none of that will probably help much (well, except for the sex), but it will at least give you something to do. Oh, better yet: make an appointment to have lunch with a friend at a restaurant you've been dying to try. I'm sure the baby will come before then, preventing you from going... Murphy's Law, you know.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,437,897 times
My son was EXACTLY 1 week overdue born 7 days after my due date.
He ended up being 9 pounds!!! Yikes! they do gain quite a bit of weight daily in the end.
Other then that just sit back and relax, nothing to worry about.
Having your baby when it's ready is better for you and the baby then having an induction when your body and the baby aren't ready...

Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,938,675 times
I carried both of my kids for the full and entire 42 weeks and got my money's worth out of both pregnancies! I was a firm believer in the "when the apple is ripe it will fall from the tree" theory and as a nurse had seen women get induced and have long and well, laborious labors!

My first baby was 9 lbs and the second was 8.5. Beautifully plump and healthy!

I know it is pretty miserable but you can be absolutely certain - it will NOT go on forever!

My labor inducing trick? Go buy a new maternity outfit - you will spend a ridiculous amount and wear it one day because you will go into labor as soon as you rip off the tags!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
My first was 2 weeks past the due date and the second a week. That was before all the technology so really the date could go 2 weeks either way unless you knew exactly when you conceived. I'm not a big fan of inducing labor.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,649,008 times
Being overdue is so much fun! I was early with my son, so naturally everyone assumed that I would be early with my daughter - - - - but Nnooooo! I was one week late with her, even though I was walking around dilated to 3 for the last month! I had a Dr. appt on a Wednesday, and she said if I hadn't gone into labor before then, she would consider inducing. Well, on Tuesday afternoon I started walking my then 17 month old 30lb. son around in a stroller, and kept going until I thought they were going to have to come get me, then yes, had my way with dh that evening - - - - - - and guess what??????? I woke up about 1:45 am with some contractions, and my dd was born at 4:10am!!

I know those last days feel like years though! Just think, pretty soon you will be able to hold your baby in your arms instead of your belly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy