Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I wanted sons, I got three of them, and I am very happy. On the other hand, I would have loved to have had daughters as well, although I would have been worried about their future dating and marriage prospects because they would have been really big and (if they looked like me) really ugly. So, glad I had boys.
The reason dads want sons: With a son, you only have to worry about one penis. With daughters, you have to worry about the rest of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
As an expecting mom, I truly have no gender preference that I hoped for, praying only to have a healthy baby.

My SO has agreed with me, that it doesn't matter if our child is a boy or a girl, all that matters to him is good health. But... I have a sneaking suspicion he wants a son. If a boy, he would be his namesake, and he has also said he has a "feeling" that the gender is male.

Any and all fathers or future dads out there, did you or would you hope for a son? Knowing that, of course, you would love your child whether boy or girl, would you feel a twinge of disappointment if you found out that the gender is not what you suspected and/or hoped for?
Daughters are easier to raise. I have had 3 boys and 2 girls. Only one left!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Our firstborn was a girl, our second was a boy. I think my husband would have liked another girl to spoil, he didn't bond with our son for some weird reason. My mom thinks there might have even been some jealously going on.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,737 times
I wanted a girl. I always heard other dads talking about their father/daughter relationship and thought I wanted one too. Since my parents were either never around much, or not affectionate, I wanted to be the opposite. For some reason in my mind it felt weird to think of being an affectionate, huggy, dad to a son. Boys are supposed to be tough!! None of that lovey-dovey stuff

Of course I had a son And I am glad I did. I found out I could be that affectionate huggy over protective dad regardless. He is a daddy's boy for sure. Of course, I still have to be a stern father once in a while but that wouldn't matter if it was a boy or girl.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,487 times
It's a girl!! Well, at least the Dr. thinks so. He said we can start decorating in pink.

I hope my SO feels that he can bond with her as much as he could with a boy. Honestly, I don't see why not. I was just talking with him about how much fun it will be to take her fishing when she gets a little older! I have some great memories of fishing with my dad and my uncle when I was little, and I wasn't even a tomboy.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
It's a girl!! Well, at least the Dr. thinks so. He said we can start decorating in pink.

I hope my SO feels that he can bond with her as much as he could with a boy. Honestly, I don't see why not. I was just talking with him about how much fun it will be to take her fishing when she gets a little older! I have some great memories of fishing with my dad and my uncle when I was little, and I wasn't even a tomboy.
Congratulations! I love them both...though I have 3 girls and 1 boy, so I might be more partial to the girls.

Gotta say though.....I always caution people to be prepared just in case the doctor is wrong. Yep, they still on occasion miss on the reading of the sonograms. Just ask my brother, whose doctor had NEVER been wrong before. All those girl clothes I gave him from my daughters had to be sent along somewhere else cuz he was not putting his boy in them! lol

Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The reason dads want sons: With a son, you only have to worry about one penis. With daughters, you have to worry about the rest of them.
Not a problem for me. Not at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBXBTMU1JRs

Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Not a problem for me. Not at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBXBTMU1JRs
Brilliant. So the trick is to make "the rest of them" worry about YOU instead...

Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:

LOL. But I would have worried because my huge 6-foot-plus daughters wouldn't have had many guys asking them out.......and then they would have taken things into their own hands.............so to speak.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Brilliant. So the trick is to make "the rest of them" worry about YOU instead...

That's my approach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy