Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:45 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,422 times

Advertisements

As an expecting mom, I truly have no gender preference that I hoped for, praying only to have a healthy baby.

My SO has agreed with me, that it doesn't matter if our child is a boy or a girl, all that matters to him is good health. But... I have a sneaking suspicion he wants a son. If a boy, he would be his namesake, and he has also said he has a "feeling" that the gender is male.

Any and all fathers or future dads out there, did you or would you hope for a son? Knowing that, of course, you would love your child whether boy or girl, would you feel a twinge of disappointment if you found out that the gender is not what you suspected and/or hoped for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM

512 posts, read 1,564,540 times
Don't have to hope for a son, that's all I make.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,967 times
In short. Yes. My story-4 girls. God really is funny sometimes...payback is a...full house of girls.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,583 times
I didn't care either way. My father was upset that we stopped have kids and he didn't get a grandson. I can see his point of view, but I don't regret the decision.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Most dads I know actually say they want girls.

I do know one guy who wanted a boy. When I asked why, he said so he could take him hunting and fishing and dirt-biking. I have no idea why he thought he couldn't do those things with a daughter. Weird, considering his doctor wife is the primary breadwinner in the house.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,422 times
I've told him, all those father-son activities can be father-daughter activities just the same! I am wondering how to deal with it if he is disappointed, if he would even admit it to me, if it is something he would want to talk about, or just come to terms with on his own? I know he will love our child no matter what. I just want to see him get excited about the prospect of having a daughter!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
As an expecting mom, I truly have no gender preference that I hoped for, praying only to have a healthy baby.

My SO has agreed with me, that it doesn't matter if our child is a boy or a girl, all that matters to him is good health. But... I have a sneaking suspicion he wants a son. If a boy, he would be his namesake, and he has also said he has a "feeling" that the gender is male.

Any and all fathers or future dads out there, did you or would you hope for a son? Knowing that, of course, you would love your child whether boy or girl, would you feel a twinge of disappointment if you found out that the gender is not what you suspected and/or hoped for?
When my wife was pregnant and I would be asked something like "Are you hoping for a boy?" my response was always "I'm hoping for a healthy baby." It was a genuine sentiment, I certainly would not have been crestfallen to learn that I was about to be father to a daughter.

When the OB pointed out some junk on the ultrasound, I became extremely, extremely excited. Like to the point where my wife called me out. "I thought you said you would have been happy to have a girl!!"

I think that just about any 1st time dad is truly rooting for footballs moreso than pom-poms in his heart of hearts. If our first had been a girl, there may have been a moment of "Oh well" or something equally benign, but a baby girl is no less wonderful than a baby boy.

Quote:
I've told him, all those father-son activities can be father-daughter activities just the same! I am wondering how to deal with it if he is disappointed, if he would even admit it to me, if it is something he would want to talk about, or just come to terms with on his own? I know he will love our child no matter what. I just want to see him get excited about the prospect of having a daughter!
The guys who are really psycho about having a boy (you know, the guys whose wives are calling their friends in tears because they are worried that their husbands are not going to love the baby if it's a girl - which is ridiculous in itself, btw) and wind up getting a girl have the real problem. Those guys invariably become so tightly wrapped around their daughters' fingers that they turn into mush, become completely ineffective and lose all credibility as the authoritative parent. If you have one of these husbands, be prepared; you will have to be the hammer to your husband's velvet glove for the next 18-22 years.

Don't get too hung up on seeing him get excited about the prospect of having a daughter before you deliver. You'll get everything you want when you see the look on his face when he holds his baby for the first time, boy or girl.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think that just about any 1st time dad is truly rooting for footballs moreso than pom-poms in his heart of hearts.
Great metaphors!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,433 times
Quote:
Oh but fathers are funny when they get their first girl.

My story. With my first I wanted a boy because there are so many girls in my family and I got a girl. Next time I wanted a girl after all I didn't know with a boy but I had the girl babies all figure out. Yep I got a boy. And, oh boy, is he a "mama's boy"!. He tells me that I am pretty and gives me kisses every day.

My dh said he didn't care but somehow he got stuck on a girls name. He wouldn't budge on the name so I think he wanted a girl. There are more boys in his family. He is also better at playing with barbies than I am.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:24 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
I would have been happy either way. In the event, it was two sons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy