Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- A pregnant 10-year-old, allegedly raped by her stepfather, has become the latest lightning rod in the country's heated abortion debate.

The girl's stepfather has been arrested. But advocates on both sides of the issue say their battle is just beginning.

10-year-old's pregnancy fuels Mexican abortion debate - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
To force a child to carry and deliver her rapist's baby seems like extreme child abuse. Why victimize this child further when the pregnancy could have been terminated? I am sensitive to the resistance of some to abort, but surely this is an exception. Seems to me it's the only compassionate option.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
A mere technicality and possible ill management of the law is preventing this victim from having an abortion.

Quote:
Abortion is legal in Mexico's capital city, but prohibited or significantly restricted in most of the country's states. The girl's home state of Quintana Roo, on the Yucatan peninsula, allows abortion in cases of rape during the first 90 days of the pregnancy. But the 10-year-old girl is at 17½ weeks, nearly a month past that limit.

Advocacy groups are calling for federal officials and the United Nations to investigate Quintana Roo's handling of the matter, claiming officials did not inform her of her abortion rights.

10-year-old's pregnancy fuels Mexican abortion debate - CNN.com

Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Blah, Blah, Blah. I'm totally against abortion as a means of birth control. HOWEVER . I would support an abortion in a case such as this one. This is just a ridiculous arguement over a serious issue of pro choice. You choose to have sex and get pregnant then you choose to have a baby. That's real pro choice not fake pro-abortion for a birth control option. And dont give me a bunch of bullcaca examples of rape and incest. We all know thats not what the arguement is about. It's about self control, responsibility and wanting to having free sex with no consequences.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
HOWEVER, I would support an abortion in a case such as this one.
This thread is about THIS 10 year old child and nothing else. I think most people agree with you about this poor 10 year old.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:58 PM

897 posts, read 1,689,184 times
They should cut the nuts of the Guy that got that ten year old Girl pregnant!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
To force a child to carry and deliver her rapist's baby seems like extreme child abuse. Why victimize this child further when the pregnancy could have been terminated? I am sensitive to the resistance of some to abort, but surely this is an exception. Seems to me it's the only compassionate option.
Actually, when a pregnancy results in a child's molester being caught and the molestation stopped, the pregnancy is often welcomed because it rescued the mother from further abuse.

Abortion would just be another man she doesn't want putting things in her private parts putting things in her private parts. It would be another rape. Following a rape with an abortion doesn't make the mother unraped. It just makes her switch roles from victim to attacker when she orders the death of her unborn child. As bad as carrying a child you don't want is, I'm not sure that abortion is the lesser of the evils. Is attacking someone weaker and smaller than you really the right response to having been attacked yourself?

Now, the issue of whether or not a 10 year old can carry to term is another story. She may not be physically capable of carrying this baby. The issue should center around her health and whether or not continuing the pregnancy would result in risking her life.

To be honest, if this were my child and she were physically capable of carrying the baby, I would that she carry the baby to term and give it up for adoption. When the baby was handed over, I would tell her that in giving life where her attacker sought to destroy hers, she rose above him and that the baby and the new family formed by the adoption is the silver lining is what will probably be the darkest cloud in her life. Sometimes, the hard thing is the one that heals our souls. There are no easy solutions here. You can't make her unmolested or unpregnant. You can't take it away. You can only decide in which way to make it harder. It will either be harder because she's dealing with carrying a pregnancy to term or harder because she's dealing with having her own unborn child killed. At 17 1/2 weeks, there's no denying what it is. She's well past the clump of cells stage. Options are saline and delivering a dead baby or having it ripped limb from limb and pulled out in pieces. How are either of those options on top of having been molested better than her carrying to term and giving the baby up for adoption?

If she is incapable of carrying the baby, then there is no choice. However, I pity her having to live through any of her abortion options on top of having been molested.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-25-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
They should cut the nuts of the Guy that got that ten year old Girl pregnant!
The numbers of girls molested by step fathers or their mother's boyfriends is staggering. They should all be castrated and then put in the prison general population. They won't live long.

I can't find the statistic, but I believe that a girl's chances of being sexually molested go up something like 30 times when her mom starts dating. There is no way I'd date if my husband and I split up. Pedophiles will wine, dine and marry mom to gain access to her daughters.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:22 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This thread is about THIS 10 year old child and nothing else. I think most people agree with you about this poor 10 year old.
I briefly scanned the article and noticed that one organization became involved because it felt the child hadn't received relevant FYI on the abortion policy--allowed in Mexico during the first trimester. She is perhaps 6 weeks past that, IIRC. It seems there are different angles to this story and there is no real help for the mother-to-be.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I briefly scanned the article and noticed that one organization became involved because it felt the child hadn't received relevant FYI on the abortion policy--allowed in Mexico during the first trimester. She is perhaps 6 weeks past that, IIRC. It seems there are different angles to this story and there is no real help for the mother-to-be.
I quoted that specific part of the article earlier in this thread. It's terrible. She's 10 for goodness sake. Her little body being forced to endure pregnancy is just so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy