Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,542,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGEL'S MOM View Post
I'm pretty sure Prescott doesn't have anymore addicts than other towns, just more that are getting help!
The problem is not "the ones that are getting help."

The problem seems to be the ones who drop out or are kicked out of legitimate rehab facilities and hang around Prescott.

And, some of the rehab joints are little more than flophouses making a lot of money for the owners and doing little good for the ones they are supposed to help.

And, even the ones who do not get kicked out are not the kind of people you want hanging around your nice residential neighborhood. If a property owner on your block converted to a rehab joint, the clientele hanging around would diminish the value of your property to the point that you couldn't afford to move to a comparable house in a decent neighborhood.

And stay out of Granite Park at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:47 AM

5 posts, read 10,396 times
These replies do not at all deal with the lack of governmental oversight and basic regulations in the unlicensed treatment industry. Why are you guys not talking about that. You want more success for people in recovery then advocate for more oversight more training for staff and basic regulations. Lastly NATSAP affiliated does not mean dittaly squat. NATSAP does not oversee, regulate or monitor their affiliates all they do is ask them to operate based on certain standards. The facilities get to make up what they will and will not Follow allowing fraud waste and system abuse to continue. Use the federal trade commissions guidelines for residential treatment for teens when choosing a residential treatment center. You are better off going with licensed level 2 treatment facilities that have mandated educational curriculums for their staff that offer such basic training as ASAM training or cultural competency training. Last guideline. All staff should carry finger print clearance cards if working in mental health just like every other sector in healthcare. Being in AA and having some clean time is not going to cut it when dealing with a fatal disease in some instances. Flunking out of a treatment center does not automatically make you a drain on society though you are more likely to succeed with more treatment but sometimes people leave these places because they are not the right place and they can no longer afford to pay thousands of dollars a month.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 AM

5 posts, read 10,396 times
What you can do is work with the advocacy agencies for a better treatment culture in Prescott. Astart for teens, heal-online.org learning about accreditation organizations like NATSAP will give you an idea regarding the troubled teen industry and how in can be changed for the better.
Call your congressman and ask them for support on hr 1981 the stop child abuse in residential facilities act to advocate for change or current act. This will provide increased oversight and better training for staff along with mandated basic guidelines including not denying access to trained medical care, food, proper sleep and demanding evidenced based treatment for at risk populations. Get involved instead of alienating your community with generalizations and misinformation. The problem does not lie within the residents who are the money maker s for these places it has to do with the people making the big bucks at the top of some of these unlicensed facilities. Regulations are lacking that's why their are so many of these places as they can operate free from oversight and licensing.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong Gomez View Post
The problem does not lie within the residents who are the money maker s for these places it has to do with the people making the big bucks at the top of some of these unlicensed facilities.
Wherever there is money to be made, there are politicians who will want a share of it.

Having said that, I must compliment you on your good constructive suggestions and links.

Lots of food for thought and action, there.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,109 times
Stop being judgemental! Obviously you don't know anything about what you are talking about-just making assumptions. If you would take the time to get to know most of these men and women you might just be surprized to find out how great and kind and loving they are-and trying to get their lives in order by not drinking, smoking or taking drugs. They are also wanting to make their lives better by working , going to school and eventually moving on from there or possibly stay there and raise families. Most of these treatment centers and sober homes are a great asset to the community and bring employment and money to the area.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,109 times
To West25south,

I really pity you because you are quite wrong in your thinking. My youngest daughter was an addict and went to a well know treatment center in Prescott and it changed her life. It also cost $20,000! So for you to think that these are being funded by the government(or taxpayers-think again!). She is now in a beautiful sober ranch in North Scottsdale with horses and getting more therapy and guess what? Her private pay insurance and premiums are paying for that and her rent is $800 a month so you are quite wrong in your thinking. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole tree or what is happening in Prescott. Thank God for this sober living community and I can tell you now there needs to be even more of these places all over the country-especially for women!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:41 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,684,025 times
erinpraisesgod,

Congratulations on your daughter finding recovery. My daughter also found sobriety in Prescott.
After 6 months in rehab and a sober living home she is now living on her own and doing very well.
She chose to stay in Prescott because of the very supportive recovery community and is now a very active
community member. We have had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
Wishing you and your daughter the best!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 AM

erinpraisesgod, I am happy for your daughter and her success. I would like to see every client of these institutions succeed. My objection is to the failures of these institutions hanging around Prescott. If I had a magic wand, I would use it to make every client be cured. If I had a magic wand with a little less power, I would use that power to get the failures and dropouts and kickouts to leave Prescott.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 PM

21 posts, read 62,034 times
As one whose parents happily retired in Prescott and one who is considering it for myself, I found this article disheartening:

Prescott housing ordinance draws fire - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

HUD is challenging Prescott's ability to scale back the number of unrelated residents in group homes from eight to six, a small step. There have been no complaints registered and therefore one can conclude its another episode of federal government overreach.

Prescott is a city of just 40,000; 1,000 are in rehab and have frequent "contact" with the police as well as "impacting the business community, the residential community, the quality of life."

From this article I conclude that even if the taxpaying residents of Prescott rise up, they'll be slapped down by a government 2500 miles away. How did it come to this?

Old 12-28-2014, 10:50 AM

13,313 posts, read 7,353,468 times
I thought a half way house is where people go that have gotten early release from prison? Looks like some clusters of sex offenders too in the downtown area I wonder if that is a half way house for sex offenders. https://az.gov/app/sows/Zipcode.xhtm...asc&cid=120059
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott