Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM

52 posts, read 70,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
yes, I do believe as you, let people live on their own accord but I get attacked because I am a Liberal and Progressive Democrat. Our government now wants to control the masses. We no longer have a Democracy, it is a Fascist Government. Libertarians believe in open borders and I am for that. And I disagree with you Conservatism does not believe in Live and Let Live =u should tolerate the opinions and behavior of others so that they will similarly tolerate your own. I have been asked to leave in a restaurant bar, in two house when I voiced my Liberal views. Recently, I belonged to two FB pages here in CV and I was attacked verbally. This area is like living in Alabama or Oklahoma. If you move here in the Prescott area, you are moving to an area that has Confederate flags and bumper stickers that read, "Liberals must be destroyed" or "I support NRA if you try to take my gun away you will be shot" or "I support Trump" That is not Conservative thinking, this is looney tune thinking, just like the creep that is in the White House.
Once you start calling people names, you lose all credibility in your argument/position. At least in my eyes, but that may not matter to you...just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 AM

2,926 posts, read 3,103,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
<snip> or "I support Trump" That is not Conservative thinking, this is looney tune thinking,<snip>
Making statement like that is why you may get shunned, not solely because you are a liberal.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:15 AM

192 posts, read 134,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsAngelsKings View Post
Once you start calling people names, you lose all credibility in your argument/position. At least in my eyes, but that may not matter to you...just sayin.
Agreed. The OP wanted to know if a liberal is welcome in Prescott. I think so absolutely if it is not their intention to “change” the place to fit their ideology, as Granite60 would like to do. Most people go about their business and are laid back and generally happy. We moved to Prescott for that reason. The politics around us in California changed to a point that we weren’t happy so we found a better place for us. This particular person seems miserable here in my opinion and would probably be happier in a place with like-minded people like most of California. But it is up to each of us to decide if we are better off moving on, or staying put and becoming increasingly unhappy in the place we live. Life’s too short for that in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:29 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,088,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
Agreed. The OP wanted to know if a liberal is welcome in Prescott. I think so absolutely if it is not their intention to “change” the place to fit their ideology, as Granite60 would like to do. Most people go about their business and are laid back and generally happy. We moved to Prescott for that reason. The politics around us in California changed to a point that we weren’t happy so we found a better place for us. This particular person seems miserable here in my opinion and would probably be happier in a place with like-minded people like most of California. But it is up to each of us to decide if we are better off moving on, or staying put and becoming increasingly unhappy in the place we live. Life’s too short for that in my opinion.
Nicely stated. I would add that no place or group of people are a monolith. California -- 40 million people -- has plenty of areas that are pretty conservative, and Arizona -- population 7 million -- has areas that are quite liberal. Unfortunately, discussions surrounding political views tend to get distilled into overly simplified and absolute terms that get used in broad-brush fashion and don't necessarily reflect reality. Coming back to the topic of the thread, I always found Prescott to be pretty tolerant of different views.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:41 PM

192 posts, read 134,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Nicely stated. I would add that no place or group of people are a monolith. California -- 40 million people -- has plenty of areas that are pretty conservative, and Arizona -- population 7 million -- has areas that are quite liberal. Unfortunately, discussions surrounding political views tend to get distilled into overly simplified and absolute terms that get used in broad-brush fashion and don't necessarily reflect reality. Coming back to the topic of the thread, I always found Prescott to be pretty tolerant of different views.
Very true. It would be a boring place if we all thought exactly alike!

Old 06-08-2018, 09:46 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,085,872 times
Everyone is welcome in Prescott. But do remember, the majority of residents here are retirees. That may affect your decision.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:09 PM

18,951 posts, read 11,615,465 times
Many posts have been deleted for being off topic, partisan politics - or orphaned responses to same. Please keep it local and on topic. Visit the Politics forum for more colorful debate about the nature of liberals and conservatives.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:18 PM

336 posts, read 581,119 times
AZGarden, I’m the OP, and I’m a retiree too!

Old 06-09-2018, 01:44 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,880,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That being said I think its totally stupid when people consider politics in moving decisions, especially since most areas are pretty close split, a "left wing" city like san Francisco still has like 25% people who claim to be conservative. I wouldn't let that enter into your moving decisions when far more is important things that take precedent.
Agreed. This isn't 1950's Mississippi. No one is going to care.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:45 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,318,043 times
Despite its "conservative" reputation, I actually think Prescott itself is quite liberal if anything. The outlying areas and yavapai county in general may be a different story but Prescott has seemed almost granola crunchy liberal as of late IMO. Maybe it's just me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott