Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 AM

52 posts, read 70,581 times

Advertisements

I am a late forties, white male, registered republican. According to the left and the media that makes me a racist, misogynistic anti-abortion, homophobe. Nothing could be further from the truth. I may identify more with the republican party, but I do not blindly support the platform just because of what my voter registration says. Heck, I didn't vote for Trump. Also, I do not let my politics define who I am and who my friends are.

As someone that does not live in the Prescott area, what I have gathered from this sub-forum is that the vast majority of people in Prescott area are friendly and have a live and let live mentality. This is exactly what my wife I encountered when we visited this past New Years.

With that said, I think it is safe to say the general consensus seems to be, based on our interaction with people and the posters here, is that the area residents do not want to see the area become a clone of California with respect to government and how it interacts with its residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:08 PM

479 posts, read 802,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsAngelsKings View Post

With that said, I think it is safe to say the general consensus seems to be, based on our interaction with people and the posters here, is that the area residents do not want to see the area become a clone of California with respect to government and how it interacts with its residents.
Most likely true but it will be the population centers of Phoenix and Tucson that ultimately determine how the ball bounces in AZ, just like in California with LA & SF. You take those two cities out of the equation and CA is a whole 'nother world.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:55 PM

558 posts, read 973,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Granite Peak UU Congregation - Home You can always call the minister there to inquire about the social climate. I am sure they will be informative.
I'm a member and the webmaster. You can always ask me.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:09 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Wow. Nice slam.

Hey Prescottonians, how do you like being characterized as closed-minded?
Read it again. I never said that people who live in Prescott are all "conservative".

In fact, I pointed out that there is a very progressive college there, as well as a UU presence. I also pointed out that my friend, a progressive, lived happily in Prescott.

Nice try, but please don't twist my words.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 PM

192 posts, read 133,880 times
I think we welcome people of all stripes in Prescott, as long as they move here because they like it, not because they want to change it to fit their views, narrow or otherwise. If that’s the objective, please move elsewhere!

Last edited by toosie; 06-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted post

Old 06-06-2018, 06:35 PM

62 posts, read 104,035 times
We are going to move to the area because of what it is including it's "live and let live" -libertarian-conservative leanings. Believe what you want and do what you want as long as you don't step on my rights or get in my face with it and I will give you the same consideration. I don't understand moving someplace and then trying to change it into your own vision. When government begins to control and influence every major facet of ones life you are no longer free, you are a slave to the one you depend on. That's my two cents worth and its value is equal to what it has cost you. Never was one for too many rules or being controlled but I do know that my rights end where yours begin and visa versa. Still working on getting there soon. I regret that so many of the threads here end up going political but I guess it is a sign of the times and the widening political gap.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 PM

354 posts, read 416,027 times
yes, I do believe as you, let people live on their own accord but I get attacked because I am a Liberal and Progressive Democrat. Our government now wants to control the masses. We no longer have a Democracy, it is a Fascist Government. Libertarians believe in open borders and I am for that. And I disagree with you Conservatism does not believe in Live and Let Live =u should tolerate the opinions and behavior of others so that they will similarly tolerate your own. I have been asked to leave in a restaurant bar, in two house when I voiced my Liberal views. Recently, I belonged to two FB pages here in CV and I was attacked verbally. This area is like living in Alabama or Oklahoma. If you move here in the Prescott area, you are moving to an area that has Confederate flags and bumper stickers that read, "Liberals must be destroyed" or "I support NRA if you try to take my gun away you will be shot" or "I support Trump" That is not Conservative thinking, this is looney tune thinking, just like the creep that is in the White House.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
yes, I do believe as you, let people live on their own accord but I get attacked because I am a Liberal and Progressive Democrat. Our government now wants to control the masses. We no longer have a Democracy, it is a Fascist Government. Libertarians believe in open borders and I am for that. And I disagree with you Conservatism does not believe in Live and Let Live =u should tolerate the opinions and behavior of others so that they will similarly tolerate your own. I have been asked to leave in a restaurant bar, in two house when I voiced my Liberal views. Recently, I belonged to two FB pages here in CV and I was attacked verbally. This area is like living in Alabama or Oklahoma. If you move here in the Prescott area, you are moving to an area that has Confederate flags and bumper stickers that read, "Liberals must be destroyed" or "I support NRA if you try to take my gun away you will be shot" or "I support Trump" That is not Conservative thinking, this is looney tune thinking, just like the creep that is in the White House.
This is exactly how a conservative would feel in a predominately blue state or city. Wear a MAGA hat in a Cheesecake Factory, get harassed by the employees like what happened to a Black person in New York City. Regardless whatever side of the political spectrum you fall under, businesses shouldn't harass OR kick people out based on politics alone. They're there to serve all people and keep a neutral stance in order to stay afloat.

Previously living in a dark purple almost blue city/state, you would feel un-welcomed with all the coexist, Planned Parenthood and PETA bumper stickers plastered all over people's vehicles. I've experienced plenty of that around Denver metro throughout the years, grew tired of it eventually due to all the migrates from California. It was worse in Boulder, trust me. Best way is to ignore all of it and go about your day minding your own business.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 PM

243 posts, read 298,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
You help to incite that sort of thinking by going into a mostly conservative town and trying to educate people why your way is better. Its not as evidenced by all of the Democratic states that are going into the toilet. Maybe you should explain to the pope why he should not be a Catholic. Just keep it to yourself. No one wants to shoot you.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:59 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
The Prescott area always struck me as relatively laid back in regards to people bothering others about political views. As the voting results I've seen show, Yavapai County consistently votes conservative, but moderately so. I seem to remember reading that the county voted around 60/40 Trump/Clinton in 2016. Arizona is generally known to be a conservative state, but as with anywhere you go, individuals and cities are a mix of views and sensibilities. Prescott never struck me as an exception in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott