Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:56 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

It seems the number of commercials has increased so much that they cut away while a team is kicking a Field Goal. They are truly ruining the game.
The NFL is doing it and so is the NCAA.
That and the idea of making us listen to their "experts" during the Texas A&M March on are disgusting. I'm not a big A&M fan but I love the March On.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:17 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I wish they would stop talking and let us hear the GSU-SU Battle of the Bands in its entirety.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
That reminds me of why I don't go in person to games much now...imagine sitting through a bad UH football game with another bad CUSA defense lining up against them...five hours of game AND those dumb timeouts!

I'll be staying home, thanks a bunch!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
Years ago the NHL stopped televising the national anthem... Total disrespect!! Sad what these people are doing to the sport

Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Unfortunately for us all, commercials are the backbone of the NFL, not fans. None of us like to think about this, but if they could eliminate us from the picture entirely, that's exactly what they would do. As long as sponsors are pouring mega-bucks into their coffers, we aren't even on their radar--lip service to the contrary.

What they really need is a massive national boycott on a couple of Sundays. Let 'em try to broadcast a game from an empty stadium. But you all know just as well as I do how likely that is to happen.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It seems the number of commercials has increased so much that they cut away while a team is kicking a Field Goal. They are truly ruining the game.
I have never seen them do this. I am officially calling into question the validity of your claim. I would guess it has happened, in a couple of isolated incidents, but this is not a standard practice I am sure.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That and the idea of making us listen to their "experts" during the Texas A&M March on are disgusting. I'm not a big A&M fan but I love the March On.
thanks for starting this thread. It gotten so bad that alot of times they don't even say anything before going to the commercial. They just disappear so they can get as much time as possible.

I was watching my team yesterday and on a kickoff return one of our linebackers came out of the pile shaking his arm but they went so quick to the commericals the announcers didn't have time to say anything about it and of course there was nothing said later on. I'm sure many fans didn't even notice the injury. They are literally not even covering the entire game.

and I've noticed this as well... the college and pro games during Thanksgiving and friday after and most of these games nowadays are all taking longer than 3 hours to play. It's simply rediculous.

they have become unwatchable. If I sit down to watch a game I need magazines, books, newpapers or something to do during the litany of commercials. I don't have ADD so I'm not entertained.

after each opening series yesterday they took commercials, I mean, the flipping game just started and you take 2 commercial breaks withing the first 6 mins? There's no flow or continuity to the game anymore. Boring as heck.

And yes, it's an american thing, I've seen hockey broadcast on CBC, TSN, and Rogers Sportsnet and they don't blab on and on about endless crap, they show the anthems, they show the teams ocming out on the ice with the music and show the fans without saying a word for several mins, they let the pictures and sounds tell the story. You feel like your there and get a real sense of the atmosphere.

being a soccer fan I've seen broadcasts from england , germany all over europe and they don't sit there and drone on and on, dont' make the broadcast about a select few players , saying so and so won the game. They don't market as so and so against so and so, it's team versus team.

I was watching the Aussie Rules Grand Finale and for over 18mins after the game ended they had uninterruped coverage of the game with interviews and pictures from the field. What's the first thing they do after a game is over in the US?

heck, our biggest sporting event is the super bowl and it's famous for the commercials , only in america would the biggest game of the year be over 2 hours longer than a normal game just so they can stick even more commercials into the broadcast. And people tune in just to watch them!

and then there was the Jeff Fisher situation when the refs wanted him to take a timeout late in the game just so they run more commercials. And this happens all the time.

Jeff Fisher was asked to call timeouts for MNF commercial breaks - Shutdown Corner - NFL* - Yahoo! Sports

"Basically what happens at two-minute warning -- the NFL gives you the status of TV, and with commercials they said we're two behind. When I was asked about coach Del Rio's use of time outs at the end of the game, I mentioned in the press conference later that they may have connected the dots, or it may have been Jack giving the QB some more time to figure out another play.
"ESPN never came to me and said to call a timeout."
After the game, Fisher had said that ESPN was the reason that Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio had taken timeouts in the final minutes of the game despite his team's huge deficit.
"My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts," Fisher said. "They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'

the game was 30-3 and the coach who's behind calls timeouts not because he's hoping they screw up a snap and get the ball but because the referee comes over and informs him they're "two timeouts behind" and want to get them in, thus slowing the game down.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
It was quite some years ago, but I remember an NFL game (experiment) that was broadcast without a play by play person or color commentator.

Anyone remember that?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Yep - I remember! It was soon after I got married... not that the two are related!

Total commentator silence...
husband says it was Jets-Dolphins, and I have no reason to doubt him!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Monday Night has become unwatchable. By the time the commercials are over I've forgotten who is playing, that and cutting away while a team kicks a field goal are a commercial too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football