Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Translated into English, Goodell is saying to Ben: "even though you're a scumbag, you're a scumbag that makes us a lot of money, so we're going to sugarcoat this and sweep it under the rug, so try not to let it happen again." They've been doing the same thing with Michael Vick.

And the truth is, if either one of them were 2nd or 3rd stringers, they'd be out of the league for good and selling used cars. But $$$$$ talks.

You're dead on. To be fair though, the Steelers wouldn't be the only team to pull this either. Every team is a slave to the almighty dollar.

Roethlisberger has indeed acted very selfishly since he entered the league but he's certainly not the only one and there's a lot worse. He wins a Super Bowl again and cleans up his image all will be forgiven by the Steeler fans (if not already). If he sneezes wrong, he's out though. Which is actually a shame since some gold-digger can come out of the woodwork and make his life miserable.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,981,728 times
I guess in today's America and the NFL, you are judged guilty even WITHOUT having a trial???

Maybe they ought to remove Joe Namath from the Hal of Fame too?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I guess in today's America and the NFL, you are judged guilty even WITHOUT having a trial???

Maybe they ought to remove Joe Namath from the Hal of Fame too?
Different sport, but Pete Rose is banned from baseball for life for gambling...Barry Bonds, all time HR leader, is pretty much blackballed for suspicion of using roids...

Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Why do so many people like the Steelers? It's called "marketing." They happen to do that very well.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
I was at a pizza place in San Antonio during the divisional playoffs on the 15th (Sat.) and Pittsburgh fans outnumbered Green Bay and Atlanta fans together three to one, at least (I didn't see any Baltimore fans). Two even had the Terrible Towels. Pretty impressive, considering that the city is over 1200 miles away.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'm a lifelong Eagles fan, but I'm no Vick supporter. I'm just hoping that the Eagles do not resign Vick so I can get back to enjoying football season. I think both Vick and Ben are no role models for our kids. Yeah I know Ben hasn't been convicted....which is why I said "possible" rapist....but he's still a sleazeball at best. But in reality, OJ wasn't convicted either.

This is the issue with our society, WHY ARE ATHLETES EVEN LOOKED AT TO BE ROLE MODELS FOR OUR KIDS?!?!?!?!?!?!? A role model is suppose to be a senior member of our families, or a police officer, or a fire fighter not an athlete or an actor. They are what they are and they do what they do and they are good at it, but they shouldn't be looked up to.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Quote:
Translated into English, Goodell is saying to Ben: "even though you have a right to be presumed innocent and to due process and despite the fact you have'nt even been arrested, indicted, or convicted of anything, I'm going to suspend you and cost you millions of dollars because your inability to keep it in your pants is making us look bad." They've been doing the same thing with Michael Vick.
There, fixed that for you.

And Vick was convicted - Apples & Oranges

Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOL!!!
Nothing quite so dramatic!

People prefer certain sports over others... that simple.
LOL, DUH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
How come people question Steelers fans for being fans of the team because they win, but no one questions the Yankees?????????? People believe Yankee fans are loyal, but maybe it is just because they have 27 world series wins.
You HAD to bring that nasty stat up, didn't you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The phrase Steeler Nation has nothing to do with the popularity of the Steelers. Steeler Nation just refers to the team's overall fan base nationwide. I have heard (Insert Team Here) Nation for just about every NFL team or any sports team really. You can use that with any team Packer Nation, Raider Nation, Bronco Nation.
We call ourselves "Red Sox Nation". Don't know why, but I'm a member, just in case anyone is interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
They were the first dynasty of the Super Bowl era and their dynasty was a solid 4 SBs in 6 years. It was also a great team that was fun to watch. I have one friend here in Boston who is a fan and these are the reasons why.

I keep hearing this "smashmouth" term thrown around quite a bit when describing the Steelers. Well this Patriots fan is not familiar with the style as it hasn't seemed to have been executed to any effectiveness against New England.
Oh yeah. Those days I remember well. Patriots fans had nothing to cheer for for decades and I fell in love with the Steelers of that day. When they are in the running and my Pats aren't, you better believe that old flame is rekindled. I LOVE watching Terry on the pre-game show.

I'm also unfamiliar with the term "smashmouth".

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
There, fixed that for you.

And Vick was convicted - Apples & Oranges
Excellent translation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh yeah. Those days I remember well. Patriots fans had nothing to cheer for for decades and I fell in love with the Steelers of that day. When they are in the running and my Pats aren't, you better believe that old flame is rekindled. I LOVE watching Terry on the pre-game show.

I'm also unfamiliar with the term "smashmouth".
Smashmouth football is a coin termed for rough, in your face football. When you watch the Steelers play the Ravens--that is smashmouth football on BOTH teams! The Steelers have been criticized for their aggressive type of "smashmouth" football, ie: hard hits.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
I cannot really say.
I am a Dolphins fan, but the Steelers are the epidomy of what football is. Something about the City of Pittsburghm the fans, the culture, it lives and breathes football.
Then there is the tradition. The Steelers are what the New York Yankees are to Baseball...big time Winners. more Superbowls, almost always in the playoffs.

I live here in Florida there are many Steelers fans. I have my Steelers Clothes out to wear to the Super Bowl Party (I won't be needing the Dolphins ones ....again) The Steelers are my Second Favorite team. And I love Football
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football