Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 AM

272 posts, read 208,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
This deal reeks of sheer desprecy. The Bungles front office must be laughing their asses off and popping champagne corks right about now.
It'll be the only time they'll get to crack a champagne bottle too because they will never win a Superbowl. not the Bungles>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
It'll be the only time they'll get to crack a champagne bottle too because they will never win a Superbowl. not the Bungles>
Not as long as Mike Brown runs things.

Quote:
Your Raider fan is clueless. Vince Young is horrible and overweight now. soon as he got in the game last week he threw a pick...just terrible.
If Vince Young was the only things going on the market, take your chances with Pryor.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Your Raider fan is clueless. Vince Young is horrible and overweight now. soon as he got in the game last week he threw a pick...just terrible.
I think you misunderstood my post. It was two separate statements. Friend is texting because he's happy about Palmer. I'm and Eagles fan. It's me who wishes that the Raiders would have been dumb enough to give the Eagles two picks for Young. As you said, he's horrible.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
The Bengals got one heck of a deal!! 1 first rounder, potentially 2 for a 32 year old QB who hasn't played at all this year and hasn't played well since the 06 season... WOW, the Raiders got robbed in my opinon; however, I will admit that they didn't have many options. Wonder what happens with Campbell when he comes back in 6-7 weeks....

Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I'm a die-hard Raiders fans and there are no mixed reactions: this is a great trade for both teams.

1. He was never going to play for Cincinnati again.

2. Kyle Boller

I'm sorry, but armchair QBs posting in this thread about "Wow!! They gave up two first rounders!!" Put down the Madden controller: the Raiders have the #1 rushing offense in the N.F.L. The Raiders have one of the best groups of young WRs in the N.F.L. Quietly, DHB has 300 yards receiving and 2 TDs in the last 3 weeks. He went from a guy that couldn't catch anything to a guy that runs crisp routes with effortless speed and he's catching everything. You've got Jacoby Ford and Denarious Moore who have been nothing short of amazing as 4th and 5th round picks, and you've got Louis Murphy coming off of injury. The worry I had as a Raiders fan is NOT giving up future first round picks, it's the idea that with Kyle Boller, teams would have resolved to stacking the line in an effort to take away the run and force Boller into using his arm. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that.

Oakland's going to come out of this thing at 6-2 by the end of their home stand and you'll have Carson Palmer at QB with two wins and a bye week under his belt to lead them through the rest of their season (and I believe, this is a playoff team)

You don't hold on to future picks at the sacrifice of a team that's this good this year. That doesn't make any sense. Is it a lot to give up? Yes. Is it the bold, necessary move that this team needed to make? With Garrard going in for surgery, YES. There's no one else on the market that's anywhere near as good.

He's the thing no one touched on: Hue Jackson (an offensive mastermind) was with Palmer at USC and in Cincinnati. There's a familiarity there that I think makes this a very intriguing fit. I love that they're giving this a try.

Go Raiders.
I would curb my optimism if I were you. There is a reason NFL first rounders are such a valuable commodity, and why teams usually won't trade them unless its for a impact player. Couple that with the the massive question marks hanging over Palmers head as far as how productive he will be, and this is a huge gamble by the Raiders (and a GREAT deal for the Bengals).

Your post makes it sound like the Raiders have no holes and have no need for first rounders, that is rather bold. I feel that you are especially overstating DHBs ability, this is a guy who the last two season averaged 1.4 catches per game. Yes, he has had a couple good weeks, but I am not sure how you just want to take that sample, and project out indefinetly while not looking at his previous body of work.

Also, who cares if people are "armchairing" in this thread? I discuss football and I don't play Madden. Are you that against people discussing football, and we should just blindly say "Raiders are now SB favorites?" 2 first round picks (if it ends up being that) is a steep price, I don't think anyone is off base in saying that.

I hope this works out for the Raiders as I think the NFL is better when they are good - but your post is too rosey for me

Old 10-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post

take your chances with Pryor.
I think we will. I think Palmer is just a stop-gap QB we need for the next few games to get Pryor ready. a vet that's not shaky on the field and knows how to win.

let;s not forget this Palmer guy is the same guy that made Ocho Cinco and Houshmenzhada(sp?) famous...and where are those two guys now?

One is hoping to regain his fire with Tom Brady, the other one was last seen on the bench in Seattle.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:10 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
I think we will. I think Palmer is just a stop-gap QB we need for the next few games to get Pryor ready. a vet that's not shaky on the field and knows how to win.

let;s not forget this Palmer guy is the same guy that made Ocho Cinco and Houshmenzhada(sp?) famous...and where are those two guys now?

One is hoping to regain his fire with Tom Brady, the other one was last seen on the bench in Seattle.
Umm, you think they would trade that much for a "stop gap" qb for a few games?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I would curb my optimism if I were you. There is a reason NFL first rounders are such a valuable commodity, and why teams usually won't trade them unless its for a impact player. Couple that with the the massive question marks hanging over Palmers head as far as how productive he will be, and this is a huge gamble by the Raiders (and a GREAT deal for the Bengals).

Your post makes it sound like the Raiders have no holes and have no need for first rounders, that is rather bold. I feel that you are especially overstating DHBs ability, this is a guy who the last two season averaged 1.4 catches per game. Yes, he has had a couple good weeks, but I am not sure how you just want to take that sample, and project out indefinetly while not looking at his previous body of work.

Also, who cares if people are "armchairing" in this thread? I discuss football and I don't play Madden. Are you that against people discussing football, and we should just blindly say "Raiders are now SB favorites?" 2 first round picks (if it ends up being that) is a steep price, I don't think anyone is off base in saying that.

I hope this works out for the Raiders as I think the NFL is better when they are good - but your post is too rosey for me

Draft Day is all hype. you nver know what you get until OTA's and practice.

and right now, the Raiders don't have many holes. Campbell was the main one when he went down. Palmer nicely fills that void.

Running game, Defense...the Raiders are ready.

haven't you been watching the experts on Sunday Countdown??? they say it every week...the Raiders are for real.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
And Vince Young's pick was a horrible pick at that...what was he looking at?

(Sorry was referencing the Vince Young comment from earlier...)

Last edited by IXCell; 10-18-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Umm, you think they would trade that much for a "stop gap" qb for a few games?
what I mean is until he(Palmer) gets hurt. which I hope he won't. but until then, He's the best Vet QB left on the market that was available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football