Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Don't forget Number 3

3. A defensive player on your team makes a tackle on 2nd down and gets up celebrating. Then on 3rd down your team defense gets burnt for a long pass and gets the 1st down
This I can agree with. Sometimes it wasn't even that great of a play. I've seen them get up and celebrate a tackle on 1st or 2nd down where they actually got a few yards. Big freaking deal. Certainly not worthy of a whole song and dance.

I will also throw in the offensive celebration for every single first down. It just isn't needed.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This I can agree with. Sometimes it wasn't even that great of a play. I've seen them get up and celebrate a tackle on 1st or 2nd down where they actually got a few yards. Big freaking deal. Certainly not worthy of a whole song and dance.

I will also throw in the offensive celebration for every single first down. It just isn't needed.

Right, I don't mind celebrations if they come after

1. The Offense scores a TD

2. The defense forces the other team to punt

3. The defense prevent a TD on 3rd or 4th and goal and forces the other team to kick a FG or keeps the team from scoring

Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Usually when a call is late in that situation that means that the ref looked to see if the ball was caught and if it wasn't then he would bail the team out by throwing a flag. And yes if my team is on defense and I think they got a stop on 3rd and 13 and then see a yellow flag, it's very upsetting because it's obvious the ref wanted to keep the other team's drive alive.
You have no understanding of sports if you think a ref has any preference on keeping a certain team's drive alive. Have you ever officiated any sports before? Do you have any understanding how hard it is to call things when they are happening in real time? Do you have any understanding of how quickly these things happen. It is impossible for an official to call anything close to a perfect game, they are human, not robots. The officials do the best the can and that includes making some downright horrible calls but calling them crooked is ridiculous. You think they care who wins? Trying reading a biography by a sports team official some time and you will get an insight to how they think about that. Refs have to disclose any team preferences so that they do not ref any games where a team they support or a game that would impact their team's position in the standings.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You have no understanding of sports if you think a ref has any preference on keeping a certain team's drive alive. Have you ever officiated any sports before? Do you have any understanding how hard it is to call things when they are happening in real time? Do you have any understanding of how quickly these things happen. It is impossible for an official to call anything close to a perfect game, they are human, not robots. The officials do the best the can and that includes making some downright horrible calls but calling them crooked is ridiculous. You think they care who wins? Trying reading a biography by a sports team official some time and you will get an insight to how they think about that. Refs have to disclose any team preferences so that they do not ref any games where a team they support or a game that would impact their team's position in the standings.

You are going to tell me it has never been obvious bad calls to favor the other team? Like my other favorite when my team is on defense and the QB throws a incomplete pass on 3rd and 12 but the ref throws a flag or rougher the passer when on the replay it shows that the defender only laid a fingernail on the QB

Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
You are going to tell me it has never been obvious bad calls to favor the other team? Like my other favorite when my team is on defense and the QB throws a incomplete pass on 3rd and 12 but the ref throws a flag or rougher the passer when on the replay it shows that the defender only laid a fingernail on the QB
Are you saying every bad/blown call is a conspiracy against your team?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Are you saying every bad/blown call is a conspiracy against your team?
Any call that is blown or bad should result in some kind of penalty for that referee. That's the kind of NFL that would benefit everyone and the league would have more credibility

Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Any call that is blown or bad should result in some kind of penalty for that referee. That's the kind of NFL that would benefit everyone and the league would have more credibility
Any thread that is blown or bad should result in some kind of penalty for that poster. That's the kind of decision that would benefit everyone and the pro football forum would have more credibility.

Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football