Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst "Choke" in a Superbowl ever?
Yes! 39 61.90%
No... There have been worst 24 38.10%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
or more Performance Enhancing Drugs, considering they lead the NFL in drug use. Sorry, I couldn't resist. But it makes me wonder how many of the Sea-Roids are still using them at the same rate, because that defense looks a step ahead of everybody. Maybe they're just that good.

Engel: Where is all the PED outrage over Seahawks? | FOX Sports on MSN

Seahawks lead the league in PED suspensions since 2010 | ProFootballTalk
You really had to sink to a new low to make excuses for the superior team winning big. You should be embarrassed by your comment..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Bad plays happen in big games -teams recover once they have time to settle down. Denver never recovered because Seattles defensive pressure tool away their options and never gave manning good options. That's different from a choke

Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
May not be the biggest choke by a team, but it certainly locks in Peyton Manning's legacy as the biggest playoff choker of all time. With this defeat, no quarterback has ever lost more playoff games than Peyton. He's now 11-12 in the postseason, with 8 of those 12 losses coming in the first postseason game. 12 losses, 8 of them one and dones - I doubt anyone will ever touch either of those marks.
To lose a lot of playoff games, you have to play in a lot of playoff games.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:17 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Richard Sherman was a non-factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Exactly. His name was not even mentioned until he got hurt.

I don't know about that. I think Manning tried to avoid that side of the field until things started getting out of hand. Typically when that happens that means the corner is doing a pretty good job. Sherman almost had at least 2 picks. One should have been called an offensive pass interference when Manning over threw his receiver and Sherman got pulled down from behind. Espn was showed a few times on SC. Another one was a drop, which probably would have been a tough catch.

Personally I always thought the Seahawks would have blown them out, (at least in stats) but I figured the Broncos would at least have a made a last minute effort.. Seemed like they were done by the third.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 02-03-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
looking at the poll results, I would say that there sure are a lot of very young people posting here whose memory doesn't go back farther than 5 or 10 years.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I don't about that. I think Manning tried to avoid that side of the field until things started getting out of hand. Typically when that happens that means the corner is doing a pretty good job. Sherman almost had at least 2 picks. One should have been called an offensive pass interference when Manning over threw his receiver and Sherman got pulled down from behind. Espn was showed a few times on SC. Another one was a drop, which probably would have been a tough catch.

Personally I always thought the Seahawks would have blown them out, (at least in stats) but I figured the Broncos would at least have a made a last minute effort.. Seemed like they were done by the third.
Maybe we should all admit that the world fell for Richard Sherman's decoy performance. The whole backfield is capable, as was shown. Sherman tipped a passed, screamed at a camera, and Lord didn't the world just get sucked into that. You look at Sherman's career and there's good reason to fear his ability, but it was mostly intimidation by him that affected the game. On every pass, the Broncos knew what he COULD do (pick six) so they must have said, "Don't put it in Sherman's hands". And that made every other player in that backfield stronger. Plus it kept Peyton from being as decisive as he needed to be. Took the edge off his skills. That's really all Sherman has to do.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Lol@ "Sherman was a non-factor". Ummm, why do you think that was? Maybe the guys he was covering were also non factors too ?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 AM

368 posts, read 395,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I don't know about that. I think Manning tried to avoid that side of the field until things started getting out of hand. Typically when that happens that means the corner is doing a pretty good job. Sherman almost had at least 2 picks. One should have been called an offensive pass interference when Manning over threw his receiver and Sherman got pulled down from behind. Espn was showed a few times on SC. Another one was a drop, which probably would have been a tough catch.

That's just the thing with a great lock down corner like Richard. Detractors of guys like him watch a game and they say, "Wow, this guy hasn't done anything. What's so great about him?" It's not that he doesn't do anything. Quite the opposite, actually. It's the fact that he takes away whatever part of the field he's covering. When you don't hear his number called, that means quarterbacks have so much respect for him, they don't want to even give him the light of day. He 'shadows' his receivers, and he's so tall and physical that it's hard to like any receiver's chances against him one on one, let alone when he has help from one of the Hawks' two big hitting safeties.

Now, I will say this for Denver. The one thing they did well was contain Marshawn Lynch. And were it not for Tony Carter's blatant pass interference (the guy didn't even turn around to play the ball), the Broncos could have held Seattle to three straight field goals because the Hawks were trying to get Lynch going early and Denver was having none of it. That was part of the key to their victory against New England. They bottled up Blount (who had just rushed for 166 yards the week prior) and the pass rush was able to get to Brady. Then again, New England doesn't have anything like Percy Harvin, who gashed the Broncos twice in the first half before his kickoff return to open the 3rd quarter.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:12 PM

546 posts, read 817,443 times
Unfortunately, Denver has a long history of choking in Super Bowls. The Elway Broncos lost 3 Super Bowls in 4 years. And they got creamed in two of those games.

The game last night was just ugly as hell.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Richard Sherman was a non-factor.
Richard Sherman locked down his receiver throughout the time that he played, which is what he typically does. Manny avoided challenging Sherman. When Sherman left the game, there was almost a sigh of relief from the Broncos. Maybe Manning felt there was a sliver of hope.

Sherman is such a student of the game and so intelligent, that he most likely helped the LOB is many ways, not just shutting down the Bronco receivers who came his way. Of course, again no TD score on RS.

Non-factor? Hardly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football