Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:32 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Totally agree,
Steelers were a great team, but Bradshaw isn't top 5 any more than Franco Harris is a top 5 RB. Dan Marino was just insane. He put up numbers, yards and TD's like Gretzky scored goals. I'm a Jet fan and Marino just made me sick twice a season.
Think of how you would have felt if you actually got him in that draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Can't understand why Terry Bradshaw with his four wins doesn't place on top.
Uh, because the Steelers' defense (you might have heard of them - they were called the Steel Curtain) and running game (led by Franco Harris) might have bigger reasons for the Steelers' success in the 1970s? Bradshaw also had the benefit of having Lynn Swann and John Stallworth as wide receivers. That's not to saw Bradshaw wasn't really good and deserving of accolades, but rather that he had a lot of help.

In contrast to Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana led the 49ers to two Super Bowl titles before Jerry Rice or John Taylor joined the team, and the 49ers defense of the era, while very good (and featuring an all-time great in Ronnie Lott), didn't have as many Hall of Famers as the Steel Curtain. Some other guys who were contemporaries of Bradshaw, most notably Roger Staubach, while playing on very good teams themselves, didn't have as much talent surrounding him as Bradshaw.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:19 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
There were a number of names missing that should have been on the list.

And a few that should not have been as well.

I was working one day and I catch this conversation between one of our employees -- this guy was saying "I was in the hall of fame in such and such year and he came in the next year after me" He was an older guy, I asked him "Football or baseball hall of fame?"
He looked rather irritated and said "Football"
I said "OH excellent I am large King Cat. What is your name?"
He replied'Otto Graham"
Of course everyone else was flocking around to talk to THE Otto Graham ...........

Otto Graham, Bart Star, John Brodie, Sonny Jourgenson, Joe Theisman, Fran Tarkenton, and of course Bobby Layne. BUT the list is weighed too heavily towards modern and recent memories, but such is the case with such lists.
Based on his team's accomplishments and his own spectacular stats, Otto Graham is a top 5 NFL QB all-time IMO (and probably the second or third truly great QB in pro football history, after Sammy Baugh and probably Sid Luckman). The only guys I'd rank ahead of Graham for sure are Montana and Peyton Manning; I'd probably also rank Unitas ahead. Elway would be a toss-up, and I'd give Graham an edge over Marino and Brady (and Baugh, Luckman, Layne, Tarkenton, Van Brocklin, Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw, Young, and Favre; it's possible I forgot a couple guys worthy of mention).

Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I grew up in Baltimore, first football game I saw was the 1958 NFL Championship "Greatest Game Ever Played," so I'm biased towards Johnny Unitas.

Trying to figure a greatest QB of all times is too subjective, we all have a favorite QB, just like our favorite movie, best beer or prettiest woman.

Some mathematically inclined dudes with lots of time on their hands will take more stats than we can imagine ever existed and slice and dice numbers for weeks to figure out who got most yards or TDs or wins per unit of whatever measure and pronounce someone an all time greatest, but it will be a pyrrhic victory.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
As far as the brackets go, I would pick Brady, Young, Montana, and Bradshaw. The order for those would be:

1.) Montana
2.) Brady
3.) Bradshaw
4.) Young

Now, that's not saying that there aren't certain QB's in other brackets that I think are better than Brady, Bradshaw, or Young. This is just based off of having to pick one from each bracket and then one from the final four. Montana would be my top choice regardless.
Im sorry ditchlights, you must be a non cowboy fan, if you are selecting Bradshaw, why not Staubach? Have you ever seen Montana style of play in which he wins at the end of the game using clutch plays? Where do you think he got that from? Roger the Dodger Staubach or Captain Comeback. You need to check the history as to why the Dallas Cowboys are called America's Team. Also if I may add this side note, Bradshaw's stats are not as high as Roger Staubach's. and how dare you add Steve Young without adding Troy Aikman? Troy has 3 trophies, Steve has one. Now if you choose Tom Brady over Tony Romo, then, you got me there, I agree with going with Tom on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football