Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 AM

14,325 posts, read 14,623,274 times

Advertisements

A few of us on the 1st page picked the Falcons. I'm not convinced of Seahawks being a good road team this year, too much up and down play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
A few of us on the 1st page picked the Falcons. I'm not convinced of Seahawks being a good road team this year, too much up and down play.
I picked the Falcons on the 2nd page, and I'm also not convinced Seahawks are a good road team. Also, they were beaten in Seattle by the Cardinals (34-31).

Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 PM

5,829 posts, read 5,635,141 times
I can agree with the school of thought that the Seahawks aren't a good road team, no problem with that commentary whatsoever. I'm not sure, however, where this thought of Atlanta as a dominant home team comes from. Twelve teams had a better home record than Atlanta this year, so certainly, they aren't a dominant home team, and they lost at home to San Diego, a team even worse than the Cardinals in the standings. Both Atlanta and Seattle lost by three, so do these things even matter?

14 teams had a better road record than Seattle this year. All things considered, that's not a helluva gap, and out of all the talking points we can make, this may be the most insignificant of them all...

Old 01-10-2017, 03:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I can agree with the school of thought that the Seahawks aren't a good road team, no problem with that commentary whatsoever. I'm not sure, however, where this thought of Atlanta as a dominant home team comes from. Twelve teams had a better home record than Atlanta this year, so certainly, they aren't a dominant home team, and they lost at home to San Diego, a team even worse than the Cardinals in the standings. Both Atlanta and Seattle lost by three, so do these things even matter?

14 teams had a better road record than Seattle this year. All things considered, that's not a helluva gap, and out of all the talking points we can make, this may be the most insignificant of them all...
Its not insignificant at all....

Seattle is 5-0 at home during the playoffs since 2013, 2-2 on the road

They enjoy a huge home field advantage that doesn't typically carry over to the road very well for them.

Seattle is a good team but has been incredibly inconsistent this season particularly on offense

Seahawks have scored over 30 points 5 times all season, Falcons have scored over 30 11 times

I don't think Seattle can hang with the Falcons offensively on the road

Old 01-10-2017, 03:38 PM

5,829 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

They enjoy a huge home field advantage that doesn't typically carry over to the road very well for them.

Seattle is a good team but has been incredibly inconsistent this season particularly on offense

Seahawks have scored over 30 points 5 times all season, Falcons have scored over 30 11 times

Conversely, you have a team like Atlanta that does NOT have a huge home field advantage (5-3 this year) who typically lays eggs in the postseason...

But point taken, but if we're in the mood to analyze different statistics, Atlanta hasn't even been in the playoffs in four years. The Falcons are 1-4 in the Matt Ryan era. If all things are on the table, it has to be said that there is a collective dearth of playoff experience on the Falcons side. The last time the Falcons were in the playoffs, they allowed a 20-0 lead to evaporate to Seattle before kicking the game winning field goal, then the very next week, they blew a 17-0 lead to the 49ers, who advanced to the Super Bowl...

You have a team in Seattle that had struggled on the road, but they've won playoff games on the road, and they've come from down 2-3 scores in playoff games to either win (GB 2014) or lose by one score (Atl 2012, Car 2015). I seriously doubt this team is worried about how they'll play on the road. Not even mentioning the back-to-back Super Bowl runs, this team knows how to win in the playoffs...

The same cannot be said of Atlanta. If there is a psychological edge to be had, it decidedly points in the favor of the team that's done it before, and the team that won the earlier game this year. They withstood a full-strength Falcons team in Week 6, while missing five key players and lost Michael Bennett after halftime to that knee injury. If I'm the Falcons coaches, I'm drilling into our guys that the Seahawks beat us at ~75% health. They can play better. I would not put a whole lot of stock into the road record---that's irrelevant to the postseason. If Seattle brings their A-game, like they did on the road at New England, Seattle is gonna win...

My underlying point is for as inconsistent as Seattle was this season, is there a playoff team remaining that dealt with more injuries this year? The Packers are the only team that can make a case, meanwhile Atlanta was probably the healthiest team in the entire league this season and maxed out at 11 wins. Seattle won 10 and their division with crippling injuries that would have caused other franchises to tank...

Bottom line, Seahawks have a winner's pedigree. Atlanta doesn't. Can they win? Of course they can, wouldn't be a surprise. But as someone mentioned upthread, I have virtually zero reason to believe a)the team with the veteran QB with only one career playoff win; b)the team with the coach in his first playoff game as the head guy; c)the team that hasn't been to the playoffs in four years; d)the team with the exploitable defense; e)the team that lost to Seattle playing it's B-game at 75% health just this year---I have zero reason to believe that team can finish the job before the team that's done this before. I can't wait until this game...

Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Aren't the Falcon 5-3 at home.....and didn't the Seahawks beat the Patriot on the road?

Old 01-11-2017, 10:57 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

Of course with the Falcon schedule against poorer opponents they can score more points. The last six Falcon opponents/wins all have losing records.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:34 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
That PI was bad and should have been called, it was an easy call and difficult to see how they missed it. That ain't why they lost the game, though:

Atlanta had a 24-17 lead heading into the fourth quarter, when the offense went stale. The Falcons D still held Seattle scoreless until 3:51 left, and when Seattle scored, they missed the PAT so Atlanta's vaunted offense got the ball back with 3:51 up 24-23. Ryan threw an interception, truly it was a drop by Julio Jones that caused that pick. Seattle kicked game winning FG. But the story of the 4th quarter was Atlanta's offense going missing after playing a very good game, blowing a 24-17 lead on the road in less than 4 minutes...

In that 4th Quarter, Matt Ryan went 3/8 for 32 yards and an interception. He took one 13 yard sack. The Falcons had five rushing yards. Atlanta had three offensive possessions in the 4th, only possessed the ball for 3:45 and scored 0 points. Atlanta had 8 penalties that game to Seattle's three. They turned it over twice to Seattle's zero. So let's talk about why and how they really lost the game. Seattle's offense kept the Falcons off the field, and Seattle's defense held serve on three Falcons 4th quarter possessions. Seattle only had 72 rushing yards on the day but kept with it and Wilson played a brilliant fourth quarter. Yes, the missed PI was horrible, but that was the Falcons last play of the game. They had 3 possessions before that where they did absolutely nothing...

Now, without question, it can be assumed it will be improbable that Seattle can duplicate that 4th quarter success in the Georgia Dome, the venue makes a huge difference. Let's also not forget that Wilson was pretty much immobile that day, deep in the throes of his injuries. Some of the players missing that day for Seattle: Rawls, Prosise, Richardson, Clark, Chancellor. Thomas is gone but all these other players are suiting up on Saturday. Specifically, we know Chancellor is a game-changer, and if both running backs are available, it presents a dynamic Seattle didn't have in Game One...

So, I think closer inspection at the circumstances of that game presents a different picture than Atlanta just running away with this. Atlanta was pretty much full strength, they were missing no key players in that game, whereas Seattle was missing a bunch. Truth, the team got better as the year went on and a full strength Falcons team at home cannot be discounted. But this is hardly the same Seahawks team they played in Week 6, and not just because Thomas is gone. To look at Seattle's late-year inconsistencies and declare an automatic Falcons win is fools gold and Atlanta will lose if they have the attitude of "if that PI was called, we would have won the game". They played a good game and still lost to a Seattle team with far more injuries than they had...
Atlanta was in field goal range, that bad call basically decided a close game that's why it was controversial. Also Atlanta improve as the season went on that wasn't a one sided thing. Matt passed to 13 receivers for tounch downs that's a NFL record, and the Falcons are the eight highest scoring team. This game could go either way I believe the game will be close game, but your speaking as if Falcons got here by luck.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Of course with the Falcon schedule against poorer opponents they can score more points. The last six Falcon opponents/wins all have losing records.
That still doesn't comply with the score, it's one thing to win its another to blow out teams. Atlanta definitely got the advantage but I wouldn't Underemtimate Seattle to give an upset. But you can't discredit Atlanta season.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
What about the Seahawks last 6 games....4-2

Beat the 4 teams that had losing records

Lost to the only 2 teams they faced that had winning records down the stretch both on the road....one VERY badly to GB

Of course the Seahawks could win this weekend, 3 of the 4 games could go either way very easily, only 1 game is a near lock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football