Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 10:26 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times

Advertisements

Since we aren't playing for real money here I'll bite on a game which I'll get to last.

Falcons over Seahawks. I've seen worse calls in my high school basketball games this week, but that's for a different day, but earlier this year the Falcons lost on one of, if not the worst call of the season, a non PI call on Roddy White on a 4th down incompletion when the Falcons were on about the Seattle 40 yard line and driving for a game-winning field call, and had the PI call been correctly called, that would have put the Falcons in field goal range. Maybe they miss the field goal or anyways, or even turn it over but they clearly should have gotten at least 1 more snap on offense off. Payback time for the Falcons in the Dome where the Seahawks don't travel particularly well. Falcons 24-14

Packers over Cowboys. Rodgers is playing out of his mind, and add in the fact the Cowboys have two rookies at QB & RB I'll take the Super Bowl winner. Dak & Zeke will have their days in the sun, just not Sunday. Packers 27-23

Chiefs over Steelers. Looks to be an ugly, defensive game where the team that scores the first touchdown could very well win. Steelers have by far the better offense of the 2, but since this looks to be a defensive game I'll take the better defensive team of the 2, and that's the Chiefs by a mile. Chiefs 10-7

And now for my bite pick since no one on this thread (I don't think) has picked it yet.....Texans over Patriots. I harp back to what I said the other day: The Texans are playing with house money here, so if there's 1 team that's most likely to be aggressive it's the Texans, since no one has given them a chance while the other 3 are tossups, so you really don't want to go for it on 4th & 2 from your own 30 yard line down 7 with all 3 timeouts and 5 minutes to play in the other 3 games, but the Texans probably will. You probably also won't see fake punts or surprise onsides kicks in the other 3 games since the field position battle will be so important, but for a team playing with house money why not?? Everyone expects you to lose by 2+ touchdowns anyways, if it fails, so what?? If you lose by 30 instead of 23 because of a fake punt what's the difference?? If it succeeds maybe you score a TD, recover a surprise onsides kick, do some other trickery (a HB-pass, etc) and with all those extra possessions you get 3 extra touchdowns that you wouldn't have gotten had you gone the conservative route like all other head coaches, and with those 21/22 extra points (throw in a 2 point conversion thrown in there) all of a sudden the Texans are up 3 and they are sending the league's #1 defense out onto the field with under a minute to play to protect the lead I'll take that. And I know this is technically 2017, but this is the 2016 season, and with all the weird $#!t that happened in 2016, why would anyone really be surprised if all of this ended up happening?? As I also said the other day this looks just like that divisional round game the Pats lost at home to the Jets 6 or 7 years ago. Coming off a bye playing a team with a horrible offense and a great defense, and the team with the great defense ended up winning. The teams like the Texans are the most dangerous, and I'll take the bait for the upset. Texans 27-24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 08:43 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,550 times
I think all home teams win by 13 pts or more this weekend and reasons below

1. Seattle has a weak offense especially on the road

2. Texans has no offense

3. Packers defense hasn't face a team with a good offense since November 21st

4. Steelers defense is awful on the road

Old 01-14-2017, 08:53 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Since we aren't playing for real money here I'll bite on a game which I'll get to last.

Falcons over Seahawks. I've seen worse calls in my high school basketball games this week, but that's for a different day, but earlier this year the Falcons lost on one of, if not the worst call of the season, a non PI call on Roddy White on a 4th down incompletion when the Falcons were on about the Seattle 40 yard line and driving for a game-winning field call, and had the PI call been correctly called, that would have put the Falcons in field goal range. Maybe they miss the field goal or anyways, or even turn it over but they clearly should have gotten at least 1 more snap on offense off. Payback time for the Falcons in the Dome where the Seahawks don't travel particularly well. Falcons 24-14

Packers over Cowboys. Rodgers is playing out of his mind, and add in the fact the Cowboys have two rookies at QB & RB I'll take the Super Bowl winner. Dak & Zeke will have their days in the sun, just not Sunday. Packers 27-23

Chiefs over Steelers. Looks to be an ugly, defensive game where the team that scores the first touchdown could very well win. Steelers have by far the better offense of the 2, but since this looks to be a defensive game I'll take the better defensive team of the 2, and that's the Chiefs by a mile. Chiefs 10-7

And now for my bite pick since no one on this thread (I don't think) has picked it yet.....Texans over Patriots. I harp back to what I said the other day: The Texans are playing with house money here, so if there's 1 team that's most likely to be aggressive it's the Texans, since no one has given them a chance while the other 3 are tossups, so you really don't want to go for it on 4th & 2 from your own 30 yard line down 7 with all 3 timeouts and 5 minutes to play in the other 3 games, but the Texans probably will. You probably also won't see fake punts or surprise onsides kicks in the other 3 games since the field position battle will be so important, but for a team playing with house money why not?? Everyone expects you to lose by 2+ touchdowns anyways, if it fails, so what?? If you lose by 30 instead of 23 because of a fake punt what's the difference?? If it succeeds maybe you score a TD, recover a surprise onsides kick, do some other trickery (a HB-pass, etc) and with all those extra possessions you get 3 extra touchdowns that you wouldn't have gotten had you gone the conservative route like all other head coaches, and with those 21/22 extra points (throw in a 2 point conversion thrown in there) all of a sudden the Texans are up 3 and they are sending the league's #1 defense out onto the field with under a minute to play to protect the lead I'll take that. And I know this is technically 2017, but this is the 2016 season, and with all the weird $#!t that happened in 2016, why would anyone really be surprised if all of this ended up happening?? As I also said the other day this looks just like that divisional round game the Pats lost at home to the Jets 6 or 7 years ago. Coming off a bye playing a team with a horrible offense and a great defense, and the team with the great defense ended up winning. The teams like the Texans are the most dangerous, and I'll take the bait for the upset. Texans 27-24
I definitely get your point, Seven.

The Texans are being totally overlooked and dismissed as being just another bump in the road. That makes for a dangerous team in many cases. They have an underwhelming offense which could suddenly begin to click, thanks to an exceptional defense. That was my veiled implication in the post right before yours.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I definitely get your point, Seven.

The Texans are being totally overlooked and dismissed as being just another bump in the road. That makes for a dangerous team in many cases. They have an underwhelming offense which could suddenly begin to click, thanks to an exceptional defense. That was my veiled implication in the post right before yours.

I seen enough of the Texans offense to know they have no shot today at all unless they get a kickoff return for a TD, a punt return for a TD, or a interception return for a TD by the defense.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:03 AM

465 posts, read 303,844 times
Seahawks 27, Falcons 31- Atlanta is better than Detroit in most facets of the game. Where Detroit had opportunities to expose Seattle last week, Atlanta will get it done. Vic Beasley will get some key sacks. Matt Ryan will hit a few key deep passes over Earl Thomas' backup that will set up some scores. Seattle will still score some points on Atlanta at times and might make this game close. Matt Ryan's playoff record is overblown and he's playing on the same level as Brady & Rodgers right now. I don't see him playing bad in this one.

Texans 13, Patriots 30- I think you'll see the Pats utilize their rbs more tonight with Mitchell out. I don't see how this game is close at any point.

Packers 45, Cowboys 41- This game has shootout written all over it. I can't see Dak and Elliot performing bad but I think there's a good chance he might have to do a lot here and he's used to not doing this much to win a game.

Steelers 13, Chiefs 10- I had this as a low scoring game but with post winter storm conditions, it will be cold. KC historically doesn't get it done in games like this but the Steelers usually do. This will be close but I'm going with history here. I can see some controversial play that turns this game around.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:23 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Pats over Texans -- Shouldn't be close. I'd like to see Houston win, but upsets like that only happen in Presidential elections!

Falcons over Seahawks -- Seattle could surprise us, as they're a very good team, but I like Atlanta at home.

Packers over Cowboys -- Cowboys should win this, but the Pack has been on a roll with Rodgers playing lights-out, so I'm predicting an upset -- since there's no money on it!

Chiefs over Steelers -- Ought to be a close game right down to the end. I'm glad the game was moved to later so I can watch it!

Old 01-14-2017, 12:30 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Why? What's wrong with primetime or 4:25 ET games?
I don't mind the 4:25 games - the night ones are killing me now as I already have sleep issues but currently have to get up early to prepare for contractors' work (does that satisfy your curiosity?) - I know many folks who would prefer the night games to be a little earlier because they have jobs and have to get up early the next day.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:11 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
^^ Yes it does. I just don't understand why some people hate primetime games. They happen all the time in other leagues, NCAA football & basketballl, NBA, NHL, and MLB.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:20 PM

The only issue I have with the primetime game tonight is that it's the Texans vs Pats. I think the Cheifs and Steelers is a better primetime matchup since we all know the Texans losing by 30

Old 01-14-2017, 01:24 PM

465 posts, read 303,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't mind the 4:25 games - the night ones are killing me now as I already have sleep issues but currently have to get up early to prepare for contractors' work (does that satisfy your curiosity?) - I know many folks who would prefer the night games to be a little earlier because they have jobs and have to get up early the next day.
As a New Englander, I can sympathize with this. I'm thankful that I'm working from home on Monday already so I can go to bed at like 11:30 Sunday.

Next weekend is the worst with the championship games. I remember we used to have the 1pm & 4pm games but starting in the early 2000's they moved them to 3 and 6. We also get screwed with the Super Bowl. For those that have to get up early on Monday, this game really drags on past 10pm with all the ceremonies and celebrations.

But yeah the regular primetime starts are the worst on Sunday and Monday night. Maybe moving these back an hour earlier would be a little more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football