Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The community only gets to "keep" it if they're forced to pay for it in the first place. Not to mention half the time the reason a team leaves is because some other place offers to build a nicer taxpayer-financed stadium for them than the taxpayer-financed stadium they're playing in now.

Taxpayers need to start telling these billionaires to get bent. They can pay for their own playgrounds.
nutz, people deserve the government (and stuff) they get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDANET View Post
When you pay someone $100 million for 5 year contract making it $25 million each year - that's when I stopped following.

Link: 15 Highest-Paid NFL Players in 2016

Am going to struggle to earn 500K savings in my 30-year career and most Americans would too and if someone earns it($25+ million) in 1 year(good for them), I think my time and money and priorities ought to be elsewhere than supporting this sporting activity.
Naturally you are free to feel, think and do what you want, but I am not sure I agree with this criticism of the NFL.

There are 32 NFL teams, each with a 53-man roster, that's 1,696 professional players, less than one-thousandth percent of the total US population, who provide entertainment to up tens of millions, sometimes up to hundreds of millions of people, while putting their physical bodies at risk even of very serious injury and at the same time generating more than $7 billion in annual revenues for the team owners and the NFL at large.

How many accountants, for example, are there? What do they risk?

So these NFL players are extremely rare and they deserve their cut of the revenues.

To be sure, more and more people could decide not to support the NFL as a form of entertainment, but for the moment we are talking about a marginal decline in television ratings, not an existential or even significant drop in public support.

For as long at the NFL lasts, in my view these players deserve their cut of the revenues proportionally.

Now whether people's tax money should subsidize NFL stadiums is another question, and I too have serious doubts, as others have expressed in this thread.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:57 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Owners greedy - yea... that's probably how most got to where they are.
Players greedy, - naw.. for the most part anyway.. Whether your an ALL PRO NFL Player or a garbage man. You want to earn as much as $ you can, as much $ as your company/team will pay you. I would never begrudge someone for asking for or wanting to earn more $.

You have to remember, for every ALL Pro that is making $25 mil a year, there are literally hundreds that make less than $1 mil. Then there are all points in between. The average NFL salary is under $2 mil, the average career length is under 4 years.. basically $8 mil for a career on average. Remember, when their careers end, most are close to 25 years old. $8 mil would last me a lifetime because of the lifestyle i have always lived... but the players have a different lifestyle and in almost every case, $8 mil will not last them... sad but true... They need to get every penny they can while the can...

Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDANET View Post
When you pay someone $100 million for 5 year contract making it $25 million each year - that's when I stopped following.

Link: 15 Highest-Paid NFL Players in 2016

Am going to struggle to earn 500K savings in my 30-year career and most Americans would too and if someone earns it($25+ million) in 1 year(good for them), I think my time and money and priorities ought to be elsewhere than supporting this sporting activity.
Just out of curiosity... do you refuse to by music from bands who earn millions in royalties off an album that took a few weeks in a studio to record? Or refuse to see films where an actor earned eight figures for spending two-three months filming? Let me guess: you don't. So your 'time and money and priorities' are spent supporting wealthy entertainers... but never athletes. And what is the difference, pray tell?

Better yet - come this Sunday, when the NFL is pulling in over $100 million dollar just from the face value of the tickets to Super Bowl LI, and selling commercial time for almost $200,000 per second (yes, that's right) - how do you think that money should be disbursed?

NFL salaries are simply a function of the money the NFL generates. It doesn't get any more Economics 101 than that.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:47 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Owners greedy - yea... that's probably how most got to where they are.
Players greedy, - naw.. for the most part anyway.. Whether your an ALL PRO NFL Player or a garbage man. You want to earn as much as $ you can, as much $ as your company/team will pay you. I would never begrudge someone for asking for or wanting to earn more $.

You have to remember, for every ALL Pro that is making $25 mil a year, there are literally hundreds that make less than $1 mil. Then there are all points in between. The average NFL salary is under $2 mil, the average career length is under 4 years.. basically $8 mil for a career on average. Remember, when their careers end, most are close to 25 years old. $8 mil would last me a lifetime because of the lifestyle i have always lived... but the players have a different lifestyle and in almost every case, $8 mil will not last them... sad but true... They need to get every penny they can while the can...
But don't most of them receive a free college education ?
That ( college education) should provide them with a job after their NFL careers are over.

Interesting that those that retire from the military after 20 years are expected to start a 2nd career and not complain that their military retirement check is not big enough to live on.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
Really? After they retire, they can get a job at ESPN or NFL Network some of the time, but their degree (if they even finished it) is worthless. Their focus in school is football, and they have a 3.0 in underwater basketweaving. Of course they should have plenty of money to go back to school, but that's a different story.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:56 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Really? After they retire, they can get a job at ESPN or NFL Network some of the time, but their degree (if they even finished it) is worthless. Their focus in school is football, and they have a 3.0 in underwater basketweaving. Of course they should have plenty of money to go back to school, but that's a different story.
Really?

Three retired NFL players near my Minnesota farm ended up.........

a very successful realtor
a bank loan officer

a debt free farmer with his nice farm/machinery/equipment completely paid for via his NFL playing days salary

Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 PM

12,388 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
But don't most of them receive a free college education ?
That ( college education) should provide them with a job after their NFL careers are over.

Interesting that those that retire from the military after 20 years are expected to start a 2nd career and not complain that their military retirement check is not big enough to live on.
But then Budwiser doesn't pay FOX to televise the 7th Cavalry running a battle drill in the hope you see their commercial and buy their beer while the Army reloads

Old 01-29-2017, 01:05 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Sundays suck when there ain't no football. There's nothing at all on tv now. Think I'll go down in the basement and sharpen my darts on the grinder, they keep deflecting off each other and hitting the concrete wall.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:32 PM

21 posts, read 13,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Just out of curiosity... do you refuse to by music from bands who earn millions in royalties off an album that took a few weeks in a studio to record? Or refuse to see films where an actor earned eight figures for spending two-three months filming? Let me guess: you don't. So your 'time and money and priorities' are spent supporting wealthy entertainers... but never athletes. And what is the difference, pray tell?

Funny way to ask a Q and then start to answer it with a guess.

How do you feel if a actor gets paid millions and the film tanks? would you still support the actor? Let me guess. you do! since it's not your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football