Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:39 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

I'm a Patriots fan and Brady is my favorite athlete of all time, so we can get that out of the way.

Aside from the "Gates", the only bad thing I can come up with on Brady is his child out of wedlock with Bridget Moynihan.

The cheating cloud outsiders tag is questionable to me. SpyGate - ignoring a NFL memo and taping in an outlawed place on the field, when taping anywhere else was allowed - cheating? DeflateGate where a supposed ball tampering carries a $25,000 fine. Yet the pathetic Wells report changes the game ultimately suspending Brady.

All I see is a hard worker dedicated to his craft, a family man, and a leader of men, and the greatest QB of all time.

Please don't derail this thread. I honestly want to see what fuels the Brady hate.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I'll be interested to see what kind of replies you get, if they are constructive criticism. I love football, don't hate any teams and I would be happy if a team that hasn't had success finally won a Super Bowl. However, I always follow teams more closely that seem to be run sensibly and those are usually successful. (Giants, Pats, Pack & Steelers)

I don't get the fixed, rigged, I'm never watching again comments because Patriots won. They didn't win between SB 39 and 49, Steelers and Giants won twice between SB 36 and SB 51. I don't get what the beef is nor the intensity of some things I read around the internet.

I've always liked Brady, more so after Aaron had his radio show and he always talked about Brady and their friendship.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Brady hate and hate for the Patriots in general is a microcosm of what is wrong with our country. We've vilified success and rather than applaud it we loathe it. Success breeds contempt. If we didn't despise the wealthy so much we'd probably have a greater appreciation for what the Pats have accomplished. If we believed in rewards of one's labor like we used to perhaps we'd have a better appreciation for the Pats. If we didn't live in an era where people believed everyone should get a trophy...

I could go on.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
I don't get the Brady hate either. All the scandals weren't really a big deal to me. He's clean off the field and a killer on, can't ask for anything more than that. The best player in NFL history or best QB of all time is highly subjective but he's definitely a living legend & all time great of NFL history, joined by a select few in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I doubt that many people really hate Brady, though they say so. It's like hating the Yankees, or the Cowboys, Raiders and 49ers back when they were good for several years. People just get tired of the same team (and quarterback) dominating, winning so often, and like to see an upstart team win once in a while. I wanted Atlanta to win, but am happy to admit that Brady is an amazing talent.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:45 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
I don't think the hate is as deep as indicated. There are fans of other teams, certain sportscasters, and perhaps a few players that may. However, even the biggest rivals mutually respect him and vice versa (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, the Manning brothers, Favre etc.) At the end of the day, the sport is merely a (playful) competition, and these guys appear to otherwise get along.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i dont hate brady, i never met the man, however i do dislike that there were a lot of bogus rules that came about because of brady, the tuck rule for instance. i am sorry, but if you cant control the ball when you are pulling it down, and you lose it, its properly called a fumble. i also note that often times penalties called against teams that beat up on brady, tend not to get called when the patriots make the same penalties against other quarterbacks.

in the end brady is a talented and brilliant quarterback.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Brady hate and hate for the Patriots in general is a microcosm of what is wrong with our country. We've vilified success and rather than applaud it we loathe it. Success breeds contempt. If we didn't despise the wealthy so much we'd probably have a greater appreciation for what the Pats have accomplished. If we believed in rewards of one's labor like we used to perhaps we'd have a better appreciation for the Pats. If we didn't live in an era where people believed everyone should get a trophy...

I could go on.
Yes, I'm sure you could...

In reality, dominant sports teams have always been disliked. That's the nature of competition - all eyes are on the king of the hill. The Cowboys may have been America's Team, and even the most popular team, but they were the most disliked, too (to some extent still, but it's hard to muster too much dislike for a team that never really does anything any more).

Ditto the Yankees dynasties. Ditto the Celtics of old. Ditto Manchester United more recently. And need I mention the Soviet Olympic juggernaut that always won the overall medal count? Let's face it - the reason few people can muster loathing for teams like the Detroit Lions and Houston Astros and Denver Nuggets is that no one envies them. No one wishes they were the local team. No one cares.

And that's ultimately what is at the hate of sports dynasties - wishing that those guys were our guys. It's an admiration that can never be expressed.

This is about sports and the psychological inclinations of sports fans. It doesn't have squat to do with what you think is 'wrong with our country'.

Note: I admire what the Patriots do. The sustained success of dynasties generally impresses me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont hate brady, i never met the man, however i do dislike that there were a lot of bogus rules that came about because of brady, the tuck rule for instance. i am sorry, but if you cant control the ball when you are pulling it down, and you lose it, its properly called a fumble. i also note that often times penalties called against teams that beat up on brady, tend not to get called when the patriots make the same penalties against other quarterbacks.

in the end brady is a talented and brilliant quarterback.
So you think Tom Brady, a senior at Michigan in 1999, somehow influenced the NFL to institute what is commonly known as the 'tuck rule'? Because that's when it was implemented. It was being called and enforced before the 2001 AFC Championship Game, you know - in fact, the Patriots had the call go against them during the regular season that year (a Testevarde 'fumble' that was called - correctly, because calls aren't dependent on whether or not you or I like the rule in question - an incomplete pass, negating a Patriots fumble recovery).

If you dislike Tom Brady for a rule with which he had absolutely no role in creating, then you are really reaching.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, I'm sure you could...

In reality, dominant sports teams have always been disliked. That's the nature of competition - all eyes are on the king of the hill. The Cowboys may have been America's Team, and even the most popular team, but they were the most disliked, too (to some extent still, but it's hard to muster too much dislike for a team that never really does anything any more).

Ditto the Yankees dynasties. Ditto the Celtics of old. Ditto Manchester United more recently. And need I mention the Soviet Olympic juggernaut that always won the overall medal count? Let's face it - the reason few people can muster loathing for teams like the Detroit Lions and Houston Astros and Denver Nuggets is that no one envies them. No one wishes they were the local team. No one cares.

And that's ultimately what is at the hate of sports dynasties - wishing that those guys were our guys. It's an admiration that can never be expressed.

This is about sports and the psychological inclinations of sports fans. It doesn't have squat to do with what you think is 'wrong with our country'.
You're right: people have disliked plenty of other sports franchises too. Like I said, success breeds contempt. Today more than ever this is not independent of the political and social climate of our country. But this is the football forum and I don't discuss politics/social issues online. Or in person. Life's too short for that kind of futility.

If you're a Pats fan why not just enjoy your team being champs again? Why worry about why others don't like your team?

Old 02-08-2017, 08:14 PM

509 posts, read 554,773 times
He cheated and mostly got away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football