Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times

Advertisements

Politics invade all aspects of our lives. Let's not bring it into football. Maybe it's time to retire this tradition. We are not like England with a Queen who is apolitical. Our Head of State will always be political.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:58 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
About that 'prior commitment':

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nelly-com...184706257.html

I suppose it was A O.K. in Brady's case because he didn't make any public statements against Obama.
Of course he did. By blowing off an invitation to the White House by the President he made a very public statement, just without words.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
The fact that several players are openly refusing to attend a White house ceremony because they dont like Trump. What a selfish attitude and really tacky. Did they even think about how that makes Robert Kraft look? When asked by Trump why some of the players on his team didn't show up..what is he supposed to say? Look, i get it, some people dont like Trump, but this is about the team, not the individual. Just really petty.
Many of the players who declined are free agents and likely won't be on NE's roster in May when the visit happens. They are better served using that time to prepare for their new team than going to visit a president they don't agree with. They are not employed by the Feds, they owe Trump nothing. This is much ado about nothing IMO.

It is far from a new thing to have players decline due to political reasons.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
If you want my truthful opinion, these white house visits by pro-athlete teams are STUPID. I mean really now, think about the waste of time it is. The only reason I can think of that we still do them are because of tradition. I honestly don't see how it's that big of an "honor" to go. And it's not what you would think. It's basically a brief 20 minute photo op. THAT'S IT! So many different sports leagues collegiate and professional, different teams winning every year, players moving around on teams all the time and you get a little 20 minute photo-op? What's the big deal?

Old 02-10-2017, 10:47 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
If you want my truthful opinion, these white house visits by pro-athlete teams are STUPID. I mean really now, think about the waste of time it is. The only reason I can think of that we still do them are because of tradition. I honestly don't see how it's that big of an "honor" to go. And it's not what you would think. It's basically a brief 20 minute photo op. THAT'S IT! So many different sports leagues collegiate and professional, different teams winning every year, players moving around on teams all the time and you get a little 20 minute photo-op? What's the big deal?

Have to agree. Sports are sports, no relation to politics.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Politics invade all aspects of our lives. Let's not bring it into football. Maybe it's time to retire this tradition. We are not like England with a Queen who is apolitical. Our Head of State will always be political.
Too late...

You need to tell that to the players.

Each little incident hurts the NFL little by little.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:34 PM

140 posts, read 88,823 times
There were players who refused when Obama was president. Who cares?

Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
The fact that several players are openly refusing to attend a White house ceremony because they dont like Trump. What a selfish attitude and really tacky. Did they even think about how that makes Robert Kraft look? When asked by Trump why some of the players on his team didn't show up..what is he supposed to say? Look, i get it, some people dont like Trump, but this is about the team, not the individual. Just really petty.
this is nothing new, players from various sports have declined invitations to the white house after winning championships, regardless of who is president.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:35 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
I really don't have a problem with those who decline to visit the White House, whether it's Dont'a Hightower when Trump is in the Oval Office or Matt Birk a few years back when Obama was President. Protest is at the heart of America (no matter how bent out of shape some people get with those who don't fall in line and adhere to cultural norms).

But the whole 'Gee, I'd love to but I have a scheduling conflict so I can't. Sorry, sure wish I could!' excuse? Please. I haven't heard any of that this time around but several players have offered up that spineless excuse in the past. Now, I'm sure that once or twice it has actually been true. But we all know that most of the time, it's because a player doesn't want to go all the way and take an actual stand because it might ding his public perception and thereby his value as a celebrity endorser - and heaven forbid that next year he only rakes in $7.5 million from endorsements instead of $8 million! (proving that the principle dearest to his heart is the almighty dollar)

I don't agree with much Matt Birk says that doesn't pertain to football, but I respect his willingness to take a stand for what he believes. But the 'I can't come to Washington 'cause I have to fold my socks and clean the gutters that day!' folks just embarrasses themselves with their its wink-wink-nod-nod excuses.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
The list is now evidently up to at least 6 Pats players not interested and growing.
Trump is a lightning rod----in his ascendancy he has made calculated efforts to upset divergent groups of people.
I respect the rights of Pats players to decide on the own accord whether or not to attend the White House super bowl honors.

If some players do not feel comfortable with Trumps game plan, do not attend----I don't blame them for not attending----this is a guy who has gone out of his way to alienate some segments our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football