Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 09:24 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
If the Redskins lost to the Steelers to the tune of 27-24 with Kirk Cousins throwing for 300+ yards and 3 TDs, I wouldn't be upset. I expected the 'skins to lose that opener, but I also expected them to give the Steelers all they could handle. Instead, they got clobbered. So, it was very important for the Redskins to win their second game. Division rival, home game. You just came off a bad loss, you needed to rebound. Instead, Kirk throws a horrible INT in the end zone, which would have put the 'skins up by 10 points. The Cowboys march down the field and our beloved Alfred Morris is the guy who winds up scoring the game winner for the Cowboys. 0-2.

The alarming thing about Kirk Cousins is that there is absolutely no reason for his regression. He has more weapons to throw to this year than he did last year. The Redskins struggled to run the football last year as well, yet Kirk was on fire. No excuses. Cousins is playing lost. He's bewildered. He's making rookie mistakes that he shouldn't be making at this point in his career. The pressure to be THE guy is too much for KC I'm afraid. The sad thing is, he CAN be a great quarterback. He can play with the best of them. He has loads of potential. But he is still struggling with the mental aspect of the game. He needs to see a shrink!

Yes, I do agree, Kirk Cousins doesn't need to be throwing the ball 40+ times a game. I blame Jay Gruden for not feeding the rock more to Matt Jones. We all (while some begrudgingly) agreed that Matt Jones was far more talented a back than Alfred Morris, that he has the talent and ability to control the game with his legs. So why is he not being fed the football? Yes, the 'skins are thin at running back, but there's guys out there who could come in and help out if need be. They should be running the football 25+ times a game.

And again, Joe Barry. WTF? The Redskins pay Josh Norman $75m to line up against the second or third receiver? Are you kidding me? This has to be a joke? What defense is designed that you can't switch your corners? I understand the confidence the 'skins had in Breshaud Breeland. He had a great season last year. But, he's not the $75 million dollar man! He needs to be the #2. Right now, he's playing like the backup to the second corner. No reason why they can't adjust things to allow Norman to be on the #1 receiver. There might be teams that don't have a true #1 receiver, but again, this week, we are not playing one of those teams. We're playing the Giants who has Odell Beckham, jr. Don't even forget about Victor Cruz. Everybody wants to see Norman on Beckham. Heck, Norman and Beckham want to see that too. So what is Joe Barry going to do? He'll keep Norman on the left side and some other receiver will line up against Norman. If I were the Giants, I would line up Cruz in the slot, Beckham on the right side, and let Norman go against the #3 guy. Why not? Have both Cruz and Beckham on the opposite side of Norman. I wouldn't doubt if the Giants don't do this.

And more on Joe Barry. I understand McCloughan didn't really address the defensive line in the draft. But that line can't stop the run, and what is Barry doing to adjust things? I haven't seen any adjustments. Where are the run blitzes? DO something to stop the run for Pete's sake. Force the other team to pass to beat you, but don't allow them to control the game by picking up large chunks on the ground. Why not bring ol' Pot Roast back? He can clog up the middle. Yes, he doesn't put pressure on the quarterback, because he's not that type of player. But, he can help clog up the line and put pressure on the running game. The Redskins don't have anybody left, especially at the nose, that can absorb the protection and allow our pass rushers and run stoppers to do their jobs. We've had very little pass rush and no answer for the run.

This team is in trouble. You can say it's only two games all you want, but what happens when this team goes 0-3 this weekend? I can assure you they're not going 10-3 down the stretch.
My point exactly- the lack of adjustments by coaching staff is baffling their is no excuse for it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:36 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
My point exactly- the lack of adjustments by coaching staff is baffling their is no excuse for it !

it's all due to bad karma and Jay Winter Nightwolf's curse

Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Yeah 30ppg or more is way too much to expect. 25 is great and should be enough for most teams to finish with a winning record.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:51 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Nobody expected 0-2. Most expected 1-1, with the loss being against the Steelers, but being a very close, very hard fought game. Nobody expected the Steelers to run over top of them, and then lose against the Cowboys. It's completely baffling. I could understand if we lacked talent in skilled positions, but we don't. The Redskins should be putting up 30+ per game at ease.
I totally expected them to get embarrassed on MNF in the opener. When the characters change but the movie's always the same why wouldn't I?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rampage View Post
You have average receivers at best.
Wrong

Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Put up 30 points a game based on what?
Based on the fact that they have done so with this same group on offense. And that the receivers have already exhibited, this season, the ability to get open deep on a consistent basis.

Quote:
You got a probowl tight end, I will give you that. You have average receivers at best.
You can't be taken seriously after a dumb ass statement like that.

Quote:
Huge mistake in the running game they made in the offseason. they put all their ducks with Jones. He is a decent back, but he is showing what his knock was going all the way back to college. He is somewhat of a tin man. He dings up very easily. Slightly above average O Line, is that fair? Even your management wasn't sold on Cousins, thus the reason there was no long term contract offered
Is this your version of talking smack? By the way, you do realize it's against forum rules to talk smack in other fans' forums? Just to warn ya, you will get tossed. As far as Jones is concerned, the 'skins drafted another running back to replace Morris. That back has been lost for the season. Morris's production had fell sharply last season, thus why he was Jettisoned this season. I would have stuck with Morris, but then again, why would you offer a back big money when he has already shown decline? Jones is still young. As far as the offensive line. Outside of Williams and Scherff, the line could use an overhaul. You give us too much credit there.

Quote:
Keep me honest, I think only 2, possibly 3 teams averaged over 30 points per game last year....Carolina, Ariz and maybe the Pats. Did you really expect the Redskin offense would be on that level?
Absolutely.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Yeah 30ppg or more is way too much to expect. 25 is great and should be enough for most teams to finish with a winning record.
It's just a number I pulled out of my ass. The point is, the Redskins offense is more than capable of putting up big numbers on a consistent basis if Cousins can get his head out of his own ass. Jackson was open quite a few times last week, as was Crowder and Doctson. If Cousins is able to be, even remotely more on target, then we would have been talking about how the 'skins put up 40+ points on the Cowboys. The same offense also left a lot of points on the field against the Steelers as well. Simply put, they can move the ball easily and they can score, but Cousins has to play better.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:29 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
It's just a number I pulled out of my ass. The point is, the Redskins offense is more than capable of putting up big numbers on a consistent basis if Cousins can get his head out of his own ass. Jackson was open quite a few times last week, as was Crowder and Doctson. If Cousins is able to be, even remotely more on target, then we would have been talking about how the 'skins put up 40+ points on the Cowboys. The same offense also left a lot of points on the field against the Steelers as well. Simply put, they can move the ball easily and they can score, but Cousins has to play better.
I know what you are talking about. I feel like my Bills and your skins are in similar spots this year. I felt our offense would be at worse just as good as last year because we brought everyone back, second year in the system and we had a ton of injuries at key positions last year. Then what do they do? They go out and put up a 7 burger in the opener against Baltimore and even worse, the lowest yardage total the NFL has seen in 10 years.

Also, skewing both teams records as 0-2 at this point is the fact that IMO, both teams have drawn a team (Jets for Bills and Steelers for Skins) that IMO will be very good. And that is significant with only a two game sample size. Things may get better starting Sunday for the Redskins, but the Bills could be starting 0-4 given the next two opponents.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I know what you are talking about. I feel like my Bills and your skins are in similar spots this year. I felt our offense would be at worse just as good as last year because we brought everyone back, second year in the system and we had a ton of injuries at key positions last year. Then what do they do? They go out and put up a 7 burger in the opener against Baltimore and even worse, the lowest yardage total the NFL has seen in 10 years.

Also, skewing both teams records as 0-2 at this point is the fact that IMO, both teams have drawn a team (Jets for Bills and Steelers for Skins) that IMO will be very good. And that is significant with only a two game sample size. Things may get better starting Sunday for the Redskins, but the Bills could be starting 0-4 given the next two opponents.
You would think continuity should play a part and building a solid offense. But, it goes to show ya that if the QB is rattled, you could have Jerry Rice, Art Monk, Steve Largent, and Lynn Swann all in their prime, going out for passes, and if you can't get them the ball, they're not going to help ya.

I've been awfully hard on Kirk Cousins this week, as well as a lot of 'skins fans. I sure hope he proves me so wrong that people will nag me for years for how hard I've come down on him. I've vowed to not buy any current Redskins players' jerseys until at least they have been a solid Pro Bowl player, won a Super Bowl, or both. I'm sticking to wearing my Riggins jersey and maybe picking up a Monk or Green jersey down the road.

Speaking of the Bills, I have a soft spot for them since Taylor had taken over the QB spot. Love my VA Tech Hokies, and I'm always happy to see former Hokies doing well in the league.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:56 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Bravo to the 'skins on today's victory, never giving up and heading home with a win.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football