Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 09:17 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think it's Gruden's nephew or someone like that is the strength and conditioning coach. He is built like a bulldog! However, if he isn't getting these guys built and conditioned to withstand injury, he's not getting the job done. It's not just enough to build huge muscles, it's to have an athletic body that can withstand injury.
Yeah, it's Jon's son.

Some of the injuries just can't be avoided. No amount of working out/conditioning or anything else is going to prevent a concussion like the Niles Paul one. Honestly, I think many times, it may be TOO much working out that causes some of these injuries. Look at the build of a Scherff versus one of the Hogs from the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:22 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,477,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, it's Jon's son.

Some of the injuries just can't be avoided. No amount of working out/conditioning or anything else is going to prevent a concussion like the Niles Paul one. Honestly, I think many times, it may be TOO much working out that causes some of these injuries. Look at the build of a Scherff versus one of the Hogs from the 80's.
Well, like I said in my previous post, some injuries are a freak of nature and will happen no matter what. I'm specifically talking about injuries that often happen around joints. Those injuries can greatly be reduced by building up the muscles that help to support those tendons. Now, mind you, I'm not saying you can eliminate those injuries altogether, I'm saying that often, injuries occur because one is not building up the antagonistic muscles as much as they are building up the primary muscles. A great example is the hamstring muscle. That is an extremely common muscle that gets injured. More times than not, that injury happens without any contact on the field. That straight up comes from either over-training the quads or under training the hamstrings, or a little bit of both. Ankle injuries can also come from the fact that the muscle to help support those tendons around the ankle are weak. Lack of mobility in those tendons can also be a cause. Improper stretching or not enough stretching, and not enough training to build up those muscles around the ankle can lead to more injury.

The biggest one I've seen, and this is so rampant in the NFL right now, are knee injuries. I have never seen so many injuries in the NFL in my entire life of watching football. Of course, I also recognize the fact that some people, no matter what they do, are just going to be more prone to certain injuries because of their genes.

You're never going to prevent all injuries, obviously, unless you make football two hand touch. But when one team starts getting a multitude of injuries, that are not just one week injuries, but multiple weeks and/or season ending injuries, it's time to look at strength and conditioning and see where things are going wrong.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:28 AM

16,289 posts, read 10,434,651 times
There is no way to prepare or eliminate injuries. Maryland is now playing their 4th QB this season, some dude who has never seen a game. A few years ago they had so many hurt they finished the season with a linebacker playing QB. You just can't prepare or blame anyone for something like this, or what is happening with the Redskins

Old 11-05-2017, 05:51 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,571,124 times
Wilson is a great closer.. but Cousins was the man tonight.

Playing behind a battered O-Line, Cousins tossed for close to 250 & no picks. Getting a big road win, and my opinion, was the superior QB all things considered.

Hail..

Old 11-05-2017, 07:14 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,617,041 times
Congrats to you guys! Most excellent game.

That was a spec-tac-ular win by the Redskins over Seattle!

Yep! Captain Kirk was definitely the man out there today.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 10,434,651 times
Holy crap I never saw this happening. Russell Wilson is one of the best in the game at 4th quarter comebacks, I knew he would do what he did. But Kirk has also pulled off a number of last minute must have scores. The play to Docton was clearly the play of the game, so good to see him finally showing what we all knew he was capable of, this is huge for the team moving forward.

But the game was won by the defense. Spectacular performance. Anyone know what is up with Scherff? When will Ty be ready?

Old 11-06-2017, 06:23 AM

Still buzzing from that last minute heroics by Kirk Cousins and Josh Doctson! What a catch that was! But, the biggest game ball goes to the defense. Man, the defense stepped it up and kept the Seahawks in check. But, we also have to thank their kicker for absolutely sucking yesterday! Three missed field goals in the first half! The Seahawks were also quite undisciplined on the offensive side of the ball. This could be one of those "You Like Me Now" type of games that swing momentum back in favor of the 'skins. After a humiliating loss against the Cowboys at home last week, this is exactly what the 'skins needed.

The bad thing is, you could really tell how much we miss our starters on the offensive line. How many times did Kirk Cousins get sacked yesterday? He was running for his life almost every time he dropped back to pass. There were a few spurts here and there where he had good protecting, but for the most part, he was under heavy duress all game long! No running game to help out much, either. We really need Scherff, Long, and Williams back. If we can at least get Scherff and Long back, we might be able to manage without Williams if Ty Nsekhe is healthy. But, that offensive line needs to get healthy!

Much better outlook at 4-4 than 3-5. Another tough game next week.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:34 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,117,381 times
What a gutsy, ballsy win last night. 4 of 5 offensive lineman out. 80% of Kirk's protectors...gone. And it showed. Kirk was getting destroyed. And yet he hung in there on that final drive and went 75 yards in 39 seconds, with two great throws milliseconds before he got pummeled.

And the D....wow. Held Wilson's punk ass in check all night.

Just when you're ready to throw in the towel, the Skins pull you back in. The most injured team in the NFL, I figured we'd throw in the towel and end up 7-9, 6-10. But last night's win was pure heart and the Skins showed me a lot.

If we can get either Paul or Reed and Crowder back, we could be okay moving forward....we'll see.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
What a gutsy, ballsy win last night. 4 of 5 offensive lineman out. 80% of Kirk's protectors...gone. And it showed. Kirk was getting destroyed. And yet he hung in there on that final drive and went 75 yards in 39 seconds, with two great throws milliseconds before he got pummeled.

And the D....wow. Held Wilson's punk ass in check all night.

Just when you're ready to throw in the towel, the Skins pull you back in. The most injured team in the NFL, I figured we'd throw in the towel and end up 7-9, 6-10. But last night's win was pure heart and the Skins showed me a lot.

If we can get either Paul or Reed and Crowder back, we could be okay moving forward....we'll see.
I'm more concerned with getting Williams, Long, and Scherff back. Cousins took way too much punishment. Even though his performance was commendable, Cousins is going to get hurt if he continues to take a beating. We can manage without Reed until he's fully healthy. He's definitely a big time weapon when he's healthy, but he hasn't managed much this year. Getting Paul back will be big for our run blocking and two tight end sets. Vernon Davis has been lights out for us, so I'm OK without Reed for right now.

Two very tough games ahead of us. But after that, a much better schedule. The Redskins aren't dead yet, but they still got to weather the storm a little more.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:04 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,793,381 times
One helluva win. Nearly gave me an ulcer.

HTTR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football