Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
IIRC going into the draft Blaine Gabbert was the top rated QB. They needed a QB, right now it looks like the Panthers made the right call.
Blaine Gabbert was never the highest rated QB in the 2011 draft. Top rated QB's don't last until the 10th pick... Jake Locker went ahead of him at #8.

Cam was head and shoulders above the rest of the QB's in 2011... he had question marks about his ability to transition into pro's but don't let the "analyst" fool you. Their job is to second guess and hype up other players to make it interesting.

A guy like Cam is rare at QB... Teams aren't passing up on a 6'6" QB who is as big as a LB and as fast as a WR....especially when they have a BCS ring and ran the table in the SEC. It's foolish to believe Cam was a reach at #1...

The funny thing is Andrew Luck was called the next Montana and he probably won't be the best QB in the 2012 draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Yea it might have been him. There is tons of stuff out there if you just google the 2011 draft, but again my point is that Hurney is on of the worst GM's in the league. I don't want a Gm picking coin flips. Some people play poker that way. Go all in on the coin flips. IT works sometimes, but sooner or later your broke. That's why the panthers suck, and will continue to do so.
Cam shattered every rookie record for a QB drafted #1 overall and you act like it was based on luck or a coin flip?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Cam shattered every rookie record for a QB drafted #1 overall and you act like it was based on luck or a coin flip?
It was Felt. Every statement on this issue coming out of your mouth is an ignorant one. Your simply full of revisionist history. Its ok if your not a huge football fan. Nothing wrong with that, but I am it consumes me(makes my wife mad) Leading into the draft there was much debate about Cam.(and it wasn't about character bs) It was about his ability. He had flaws in his throwing mechanics As you see with Tebow They can be hard to overcome. BTW they said similar things about Kerry Collins. Collins had a hitch in his throw. He also had accuracy issues. Finally some weren't impressed with his body of work. He was only a starter for one year at the college level. (and I don't want to here about junior college) All these issues were enough that half of the NFL GM's would have passed on him. Colin Cowherd brings this point up often. Please quit relying on his rookie season. Go back do a little research, predraft 2011. He wasn't a slam dunk that you think he was.

My point of all this has nothing do with Cam, but with Hurney. You act like everyone saw Cam's season coming. Nobody did. Cam is the exception to the rule. The experts usually right, but with Cam its his immeasurables that make him great. His flaws are still there. He is just able to overcome them. Most don't.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Blaine Gabbert was never the highest rated QB in the 2011 draft. Top rated QB's don't last until the 10th pick... Jake Locker went ahead of him at #8.

Cam was head and shoulders above the rest of the QB's in 2011... he had question marks about his ability to transition into pro's but don't let the "analyst" fool you. Their job is to second guess and hype up other players to make it interesting.

A guy like Cam is rare at QB... Teams aren't passing up on a 6'6" QB who is as big as a LB and as fast as a WR....especially when they have a BCS ring and ran the table in the SEC. It's foolish to believe Cam was a reach at #1...

The funny thing is Andrew Luck was called the next Montana and he probably won't be the best QB in the 2012 draft.
See you have such a short memory. We are one week into the season. Lets wait at least to the half way point before we make any judgements. As we learned with Cam. The experts are wrong sometimes, so they could be with Luck. He still had a great first week for a Rookie.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
It was Felt. Every statement on this issue coming out of your mouth is an ignorant one. Your simply full of revisionist history. Its ok if your not a huge football fan. Nothing wrong with that, but I am it consumes me(makes my wife mad) Leading into the draft there was much debate about Cam.(and it wasn't about character bs) It was about his ability. He had flaws in his throwing mechanics As you see with Tebow They can be hard to overcome. BTW they said similar things about Kerry Collins. Collins had a hitch in his throw. He also had accuracy issues. Finally some weren't impressed with his body of work. He was only a starter for one year at the college level. (and I don't want to here about junior college) All these issues were enough that half of the NFL GM's would have passed on him. Colin Cowherd brings this point up often. Please quit relying on his rookie season. Go back do a little research, predraft 2011. He wasn't a slam dunk that you think he was.

My point of all this has nothing do with Cam, but with Hurney. You act like everyone saw Cam's season coming. Nobody did. Cam is the exception to the rule. The experts usually right, but with Cam its his immeasurables that make him great. His flaws are still there. He is just able to overcome them. Most don't.
Half the GM's in the league have franchise QB's already so that statement doesn't hold water.... However, teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, etc that drafted early are the only ones who matter and they all had him on their boards.

..and Cam's throwing motion? The guy throws the 20 yard out on a rope. The knock on Cam was coming from a spread to lining up under center and reading defenses.. mechanics were never an issue. How dare you even bring Tebow into this conversation.

Collin Cowherd? Are you serious? Don't EVER bring up an ESPN entertainer when discussing Cam or any QB for that matter.

Collin Cowherd? LOL... that says it all.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
See you have such a short memory. We are one week into the season. Lets wait at least to the half way point before we make any judgements. As we learned with Cam. The experts are wrong sometimes, so they could be with Luck. He still had a great first week for a Rookie.
Luck didn't have a good first week. He looked slow, had 3 picks and a fumble.

I know the situations are a little different but Cam had the Panthers in just about every game they played his rookie year.

Luck is going to struggle this year because he isn't mobile at all and the Colts OL is suspect... similar to the Panthers but at least Cam has the legs to escape or extend plays...

Luck is in for a long year...

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Half the GM's in the league have franchise QB's already so that statement doesn't hold water.... However, teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, etc that drafted early are the only ones who matter and they all had him on their boards.

..and Cam's throwing motion? The guy throws the 20 yard out on a rope. The knock on Cam was coming from a spread to lining up under center and reading defenses.. mechanics were never an issue. How dare you even bring Tebow into this conversation.

Collin Cowherd? Are you serious? Don't EVER bring up an ESPN entertainer when discussing Cam or any QB for that matter.

Collin Cowherd? LOL... that says it all.
It does hold water, cause they were asked directly if he was worth the 1st overall pick. You just don't get it. Your posts continue to show your ignorance. If you don't like Cowherd fine, but the man brings on a ton of great guests. Many GM's go on the show, and share their views. IF you listen you would know. Its pretty clear your a cam homer.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Luck didn't have a good first week. He looked slow, had 3 picks and a fumble.

I know the situations are a little different but Cam had the Panthers in just about every game they played his rookie year.

Luck is going to struggle this year because he isn't mobile at all and the Colts OL is suspect... similar to the Panthers but at least Cam has the legs to escape or extend plays...

Luck is in for a long year...
It was the 2nd best performance by a rookie. 300 yards, against one of the toughest defense's in the league, and in a very hostile environment. Oh and not being mobile is a crock. he ran when needed in college. I don't want my qb's running. here is a fact for you. Chew on this.

2012 NFL Scouting Combine: Andrew Luck matches Cam Newton's 40 time - NFL - Sporting News

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It was the 2nd best performance by a rookie. 300 yards, against one of the toughest defense's in the league, and in a very hostile environment. Oh and not being mobile is a crock. he ran when needed in college. I don't want my qb's running. here is a fact for you. Chew on this.

2012 NFL Scouting Combine: Andrew Luck matches Cam Newton's 40 time - NFL - Sporting News
It's not about running a 40 in a straight line.... and Lucks official time was 4.67 to Newton's 4.59. Put pads on them and Luck slows down considerably..

I want my QB to extend plays, especially if the OL stinks...

Cam can do it... Luck can't.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 09-13-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It does hold water, cause they were asked directly if he was worth the 1st overall pick. You just don't get it. Your posts continue to show your ignorance. If you don't like Cowherd fine, but the man brings on a ton of great guests. Many GM's go on the show, and share their views. IF you listen you would know. Its pretty clear your a cam homer.
Are you selling ad space on Cowherds show? You act like he is the only one with a microphone... It's obvious you are a Cowherd homer...

GM's also love to blow smoke when talking about players before the draft. I would love to see the list of GM's who said he wasn't worthy... I'm not saying they don't exist but I think it's all relative. He isn't going to be worth it to the Bears, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Texans...

It's the draft.. of course their will be doubts or questions but it's insane to think a guy with a BCS ring, 49 total TD's at Auburn and pretty much carried the offense on his back was really viewed as a bust or not worthy of the #1 pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football