Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I'm a massive Pats fan. I was at the Superbowl this year and last year. Last year I rooted for Seattle (because I was rooting for Denver to lose), but obviously I rooted for my Pats.

There are teams I despise (i.e., Giants/Jets and any team P Manning is on lol). I will say this though, I really really like Seattle, the fans, and the team. The fans were great, took a lot of selfies with Hawks fans and they were for the most part gracious and good sports in the loss.

I lost my voice (really) trying to out shout the whole 12th man chant you guys do on every single opposing team's offense play (there has to be a short supply of Halls throat drops in Seattle lol).

You guys made it a great "game" and experience all the way around.

As much as I love the Pats, I really really think it's going to be the Russell Wilson era. I think this "loss" will haunt and drive the Hawks even beyond where they are now. A good comparison b/w the feeling of losing it in this fashion, to the Pats 18-1 Superbowl loss is a good one. It stings and its' something that only winning the next one will erase.

I told some friends what would be better than this superbowl? A rematch next year
I'm a Seahawks fan who was also at the game.

Really a great experience, even with the outcome.

The Pats fans I encountered before the game and in the stadium were all great. Stadium was rocking for most of the night and no issues on the way out. If normal NFL games had this type of crowd I'd go to more of them.

There were some drunken types spilling out of the nearby bars, but that is to be expected and really not that big of a problem.

Was a really fun week. Following this team since the mid-80s I never thought I'd have a time where people would be excited about the hawks, new fans drawn to them, going to an event and being surrounded by seahawks fans and then actually watching them play for a title

The loss stings and it was so close to being the perfect day - Seattle at no point in their history has had their cumulative record break .500 - they entered the game exactly at .500

With a win it would not only be consecutive titles, but the first time in their history they would be a "winning franchise". Would have been a cool way to do it. Living in AZ I of course would have loved to see that blue and green confetti blasted about and have great memories driving by the stadium which is close to my house.

Still a great time though with great memories, a really fantastic game and an outcome that should have been avoided - but such is sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Just have to say I think you Hawks fans have an incredible QB in Russell. He's a younger Tom Brady and should excel like Brady has if he stays healthy and injury free most of the time.
Brady? Mm.... sorry, but they're not even in the same conversation. Brady's one of the all-time greats - maybe Top 5 - and Wilson isn't even a Top 5 QB in the present-day NFL. Maybe not even Top 10, although I'd have to do some judicious counting to justify that number.

Wilson's a good quarterback, and he has some intangible qualities that many better quarterbacks will never have, but he's not the second coming of Brady. His skill set is limited, and Pete Carroll has designed an offensive system which allows him to excel as a game manager, but he's not in Brady's class. He's not a guy who can take over a game and just carry his team to a victory - he has never once beaten a team that scored more than 24 points. If his defense can't hold, and he's forced to win the game by putting lots of points on the board, Wilson is simply unable to do it. That interception the other night was a terrible play call, yes - but Wilson was the one who threw it, and it was not a well-placed ball at all. Tom Brady would never have thrown that pass.

Brady's a pure pocket passer, one of the best who ever lived. Wilson's not even an average quarterback when throwing from the pocket. His bread and butter is using his mobility to chaoticize the defense and extend the play, but if you keep him in the pocket, you force him to beat you with throws he's not comfortable making. Force him to make second and third reads and throw an accurate ball over the heads of linemen 7 or 8 inches taller than he is. That's what Green Bay did in the NFCCG, and while Wilson had an absolutely exceptional last 3 minutes that day, most of the game was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a quarterback in a playoff game. His QB rating that day was 44, which I believe is the lowest quarterback rating for a winning quarterback in the history of the NFL playoffs. Green Bay's defense took away his strengths, and he simply had no answer for it.

New England borrowed from that game plan last Sunday, and to the extent that they were able to execute that scheme, they made him look like a very ordinary QB much of the evening. I don't think he even completed a pass until halfway through the second quarter. Wilson should expect to see a lot more defensive looks like that next season; how he handles that development will say a lot about the future trajectory of his career.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the guy, and have a lot of respect for him. He's very, very good at what he does, and he's one of those rare players who just seem to be born winners, but he's no Tom Brady. And he never will be. He's just not cut from that cloth.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 02-05-2015 at 09:02 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Default Shame on Carroll, his OC, and the league

The ending was so uncharacteristic, that it had to have been done on purpose so Brady would end up being the hero rather than Marshawn Lynch.

Shame on the overriding factors that declared that it was better for Tom Brady to win and be the hero of the season, rather than Lynch and Sherman. Lynch because he wouldn't talk to the media and the ghetto element. Sherman because he's too outspoken against the league.

What is more than pathetic though, is that Pete Carroll and his OC complied, calling a play that made it more like than not, that it would get intercepted or fail. This SB was tainted as a result.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Brady? Mm.... sorry, but they're not even in the same conversation. Brady's one of the all-time greats - maybe Top 5 - and Wilson isn't even a Top 5 QB in the present-day NFL. Maybe not even Top 10, although I'd have to do some judicious counting to justify that number.

Wilson's a good quarterback, and he has some intangible qualities that many better quarterbacks will never have, but he's not the second coming of Brady. His skill set is limited, and Pete Carroll has designed an offensive system which allows him to excel as a game manager, but he's not in Brady's class. He's not a guy who can take over a game and just carry his team to a victory - he has never once beaten a team that scored more than 24 points. If his defense can't hold, and he's forced to win the game by putting lots of points on the board, Wilson is simply unable to do it. That interception the other night was a terrible play call, yes - but Wilson was the one who threw it, and it was not a well-placed ball at all. Tom Brady would never have thrown that pass.

Brady's a pure pocket passer, one of the best who ever lived. Wilson's not even an average quarterback when throwing from the pocket. His bread and butter is using his mobility to chaoticize the defense and extend the play, but if you keep him in the pocket, you force him to beat you with throws he's not comfortable making. Force him to make second and third reads and throw an accurate ball over the heads of linemen 7 or 8 inches taller than he is. That's what Green Bay did in the NFCCG, and while Wilson had an absolutely exceptional last 3 minutes that day, most of the game was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a quarterback in a playoff game. His QB rating that day was 44, which I believe is the lowest quarterback rating for a winning quarterback in the history of the NFL playoffs. Green Bay's defense took away his strengths, and he simply had no answer for it.

New England borrowed from that game plan last Sunday, and to the extent that they were able to execute that scheme, they made him look like a very ordinary QB much of the evening. I don't think he even completed a pass until halfway through the second quarter. Wilson should expect to see a lot more defensive looks like that next season; how he handles that development will say a lot about the future trajectory of his career.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the guy, and have a lot of respect for him. He's very, very good at what he does, and he's one of those rare players who just seem to be born winners, but he's no Tom Brady. And he never will be. He's just not cut from that cloth.
Well, that's a pretty dumb post................

Through 3 years of their respective careers I'd probably give a slight edge to Wilson - keep in mind that Tom Brady wasn't "Tom Brady" at the end of 2003 ..... at that point he hadn't even had a season with a 90 QB rating, let alone 100 - which Wilson accomplished in both year 1 & 2 ....... Brady got there in year 7

At the same point in their careers both were good young QBs with a good defense and overall system - calm demeanor, good leadership, etc.

Impossible to say where Wilson will be 10 years from now

Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 PM

426 posts, read 958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The ending was so uncharacteristic, that it had to have been done on purpose so Brady would end up being the hero rather than Marshawn Lynch.

Shame on the overriding factors that declared that it was better for Tom Brady to win and be the hero of the season, rather than Lynch and Sherman. Lynch because he wouldn't talk to the media and the ghetto element. Sherman because he's too outspoken against the league.

What is more than pathetic though, is that Pete Carroll and his OC complied, calling a play that made it more like than not, that it would get intercepted or fail. This SB was tainted as a result.
Nicely written satirical post, for a moment I thought you meant it.

The scary thing is, some people actually believe this.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:23 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Quote:

I'll go with satirical too. If what you believe is true, then twice the NFL wanted the Giants to beat the Pats. And once in the playoffs they wanted Manning to beat Brady so Belichick went for 4th and 2 near his own end zone just to fail. And last year the NFL wanted to further Manning's demise in the playoffs by having Seattle pretty much wipe him off the map to set-up this year for Brady so that argument of Brady vs Manning could be put to bed.

That whole not give it to Lynch just to not make him a hero - if anyone believes that it's what makes the media thrive. Bang bang play thrown 6 inches too far left.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:23 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:

Waa.

That aside, the Seahawks' secondary was too dinged up to keep the Patriots from scoring 14 points in minutes and that's that.

Credit the Patriots for beating the Hawks and move on. The Fat Lady has sung and it's all over but the shouting. Closing time... you don't have to go home but you can't stay here...

To the real Seahawk fans in here, good game and look forward to next season.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:38 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,175 times
Quote:

It's amazing how the human mind will create such an irrational scenario to completely overlook the obvious painful reality. It's easier to latch on to a conspiracy theory vs accepting that the Seahawks blew a 10 pt lead and then muffed a 2 and 1 goal line play. Dude, they played hard all the way around, the Pats made more plays when it counted.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

Through 3 years of their respective careers I'd probably give a slight edge to Wilson - keep in mind that Tom Brady wasn't "Tom Brady" at the end of 2003 ..... at that point he hadn't even had a season with a 90 QB rating, let alone 100 - which Wilson accomplished in both year 1 & 2 ....... Brady got there in year 7

At the same point in their careers both were good young QBs with a good defense and overall system - calm demeanor, good leadership, etc.

Since no one has a crystal ball, and what Albert was referring to was "in the books history", then his post is pretty darn on point.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:04 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

Just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean it's dumb. It just means you didn't understand it.

Let me try again. The person to whom I was responding was comparing Russell Wilson to Tom Brady, saying that Wilson is essentially a younger version of Brady. I said there's nothing at all about them that's alike, that they're two very different types of quarterbacks with very different skill sets. So you throw out a few stats and whatnot, and think that proves... umm... well... what, exactly? I'm still not sure.

You can look at QB ratings at various points of their careers all you want, but it's irrelevant. I'm not looking so much at the numbers as I am the two players - and when I look at Russell Wilson, I don't see Tom Brady or anything even remotely resembling him. I just see Russell Wilson - still a good quarterback, and one who will probably win at least one more ring before he's done, but one with a completely, totally different skillset and style than Brady's. And a limited one, at that.

Now, if you want to argue that I'm wrong in those assessments, I'm open to a discussion. But I don't think it will be a very productive one if we're both talking about completely different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football