Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2023, 08:23 PM

23,608 posts, read 24,145,795 times

Advertisements

Thoughts and prayers for Hamlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 08:25 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
Official NFL statement just appeared on ABC. Part of it states that Hamlin is in critical condition.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:31 PM

30,214 posts, read 11,874,901 times
Horrible situation. Hope he recovers.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:08 PM

18,247 posts, read 25,909,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
This has happened only once before. I'll bring up the name of Chuck Hughes and talk about him later.

Chuck Hughes was a reserve defensive back for the Detroit Lions. In a 10/24/71 game against the Chicago Bears Hughes had a heart attack on the field during the game. He died later that afternoon at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.

I'd like to bring up another name few people here probably know about. The Kansas City Chiefs had a rookie running back by the name of Stone Johnson. A healthy kid, he ran the 200 meter race in the 1960 Rome Olympics. In an exhibition game against the Houston Oilers on August 31, 1963 Johnson was on special teams on a kickoff return when an Oiler lineman collided oddly with Johnson. Johnson was motionless for several minutes. He had fractured his fifth cervical vertabrae on the play. Johnson died 10 days later in a Houston hospital. Very few people remember this because---

1. It happened nearly 60 years ago.
2. It was an exhibition game, it was after all, the American Football league
3. It was a game played in Wichita, Kansas

He wore number 33. The Chiefs organization retired his number.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:24 PM

19,735 posts, read 10,164,521 times
He started a go fund me 2 years ago with a goal of 2500 that only made 1500 in 2 years to give toys for Christmas to under privileged kids. One of the news networks listed his go fund me in their article about his injury tonight and it's already up to almost 1 million dollars

Old 01-02-2023, 10:20 PM

45,677 posts, read 27,308,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
He started a go fund me 2 years ago with a goal of 2500 that only made 1500 in 2 years to give toys for Christmas to under privileged kids. One of the news networks listed his go fund me in their article about his injury tonight and it's already up to almost 1 million dollars
Interesting how humanity works...

Old 01-02-2023, 10:55 PM

307 posts, read 119,240 times
They kept coming back from commercial break showing the ambulance. I kept thinking "Man, this is taking longer than usual" but expecting he would be OK and they'd get back to playing. I hate that I didn't stop to even think at first that it might be something really serious, but I guess that's what I've conditioned myself to think. It's only natural to assume that everything will be OK.

Then it kept dragging on and on and I started to get a sinking feeling, realizing this was taking an awfully long time, and maybe it's something serious...

Then they showed Josh Allen looking like he saw a ghost and Stefon Diggs and others crying and my heart sunk into the pit of my stomach.

I've never seen anything like that before. Just still in total shock.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:01 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
ESPN just showed the buses heading out and they said that, except for a few players who wanted to be at the hospital, essentially the rest of the personnel are headed back to Orchard Park,NY on those buses.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:07 PM

307 posts, read 119,240 times
I am curious about what happened though. People are saying that the NFL wanted the game to continue and the coaches of the Bills and Bengals nixed that -- but I have to wonder if the NFL is really that tone deaf. Others are saying that isn't true. Hard to sort facts from rumors anymore as the ESPN staff were speculating at pretty much the same level as people on twitter tonight.

It was obvious to me about 15 minutes in that we were done for the night and there was no way the game could continue -- am I overestimating Goodell's intelligence by assuming he realized that as well?

Old 01-03-2023, 05:31 AM

451 posts, read 256,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Chuck Hughes was a reserve defensive back for the Detroit Lions. In a 10/24/71 game against the Chicago Bears Hughes had a heart attack on the field during the game. He died later that afternoon at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.

I'd like to bring up another name few people here probably know about. The Kansas City Chiefs had a rookie running back by the name of Stone Johnson. A healthy kid, he ran the 200 meter race in the 1960 Rome Olympics. In an exhibition game against the Houston Oilers on August 31, 1963 Johnson was on special teams on a kickoff return when an Oiler lineman collided oddly with Johnson. Johnson was motionless for several minutes. He had fractured his fifth cervical vertabrae on the play. Johnson died 10 days later in a Houston hospital. Very few people remember this because---

1. It happened nearly 60 years ago.
2. It was an exhibition game, it was after all, the American Football league
3. It was a game played in Wichita, Kansas

He wore number 33. The Chiefs organization retired his number.
And the Chiefs had yet to play a game that counted in Kansas City's name. They won the AFL title the year before as the Dallas Texans.

Prayers up for Hamlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football