Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2023, 11:33 AM

307 posts, read 119,076 times

Advertisements

NFL says the game will not be resumed this week..

Honestly, there is no fair way to resolve this. I say just throw this game out -- have the Bills and Bengals play 16 games and all other teams play 17 games. It's not fair, but nothing they decide could possibly be fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 02:03 PM

1,999 posts, read 984,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonwoodbao View Post
NFL says the game will not be resumed this week..

Honestly, there is no fair way to resolve this. I say just throw this game out -- have the Bills and Bengals play 16 games and all other teams play 17 games. It's not fair, but nothing they decide could possibly be fair.
Especially not fair since Buffalo and Cincy are in the race for the #1 seed. Do you know what sort of uproar this will cause if the game is not counted because of the impacts it has on the playoffs?

I am guessing it will be played Thursday after Week 18. Then if Buffalo/Cincy has to play on Wild Card weekend, they will play Monday night.

Old 01-03-2023, 04:39 PM

7,598 posts, read 6,099,558 times

I am overwhelmed. My medical background tells me that this could happen to anyone,, hypothetically, but an NFL athlete is about the last I would suspect. I hate injuries anyway and this most of all. I hope he will be ok. My heart goes out to him and his family

Old 01-03-2023, 04:46 PM

15,150 posts, read 27,826,289 times
I just found out today that he is from near the area in PA where I grew up. Keeping fingers crossed for him. Does a "cardiac event" mean a heart attack?

Old 01-03-2023, 04:51 PM

34,086 posts, read 17,140,925 times
Can we fast forward to the 2023-2024 season please?

I am not a fan of either team, but still overwhelmed. Beyond sad.

Old 01-03-2023, 05:00 PM

7,598 posts, read 6,099,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I just found out today that he is from near the area in PA where I grew up. Keeping fingers crossed for him. Does a "cardiac event" mean a heart attack?
It was more likely what we call "R on T Phenomenon" What happens is that a blow to the heart causes an electrical anomaly whereby the heart initiates a beat during the repolarization phase of the cycle.

R-on-T phenomenon is a ventricular extrasystole caused by a ventricular depolarization superimposing on the previous beat's repolarization. Although rare, this can result in ventricular arrhythmias, which can lead to cardiac arrest.

Our hearts beat when the signal originates from the sinus node, down the heart and through the atria, ventricles, then repolarizes (rests) and starts the cycle over again. This is dependent on electrical activity, on an EKG it shows up as the beats that we have all seen on a eCG Strip.

IN Hamlin's situation, what likely happened was that the T wave fired on the R wave, casuing the heart to go into ventricular tachycardia, causing him to collapse, and the quick CPR and possible defibrillation put him back into a normal rhythm

He might need an AICD depending on what is seen structurally and electrically with his heart. Sadly, heart conditions which involve an electrical issue, such as wolfe Parkinson Whte syndrome are rarely detected until they become symptomatic.

A heart attack is when an artery around the heart becomes blocked by a clot or plaque and causes death to the heart muscle. It can cause cardiac arrest but often does not.

Old 01-03-2023, 05:42 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
Had my heart stopped and restarted once. A really weird feeling.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:02 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,625,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Especially not fair since Buffalo and Cincy are in the race for the #1 seed. Do you know what sort of uproar this will cause if the game is not counted because of the impacts it has on the playoffs?

I am guessing it will be played Thursday after Week 18. Then if Buffalo/Cincy has to play on Wild Card weekend, they will play Monday night.
I don’t think the game will be played. Nor do I think it should be. There’s more important things than trying to squeeze in this game. As a bills fan I don’t care if we are the 1, 2 or 3 seed. On the bright side of things, as a fan of the team, we have the luxury of not needing these last two games and still having the playoffs in hand.

It’s not a foregone conclusion that Kansas City will beat Las Vegas. So I say, just go by winning percentage and let the chips fall where they may.

The fairest thing may be if the bills end up with the three seed and Cincinnati, the two seed. That would mean the bills play at Cincinnati in the divisional round. On the road at Cincinnati is a game the bills would’ve had to win anyway to maintain a higher seed over the Bengals. So seems fair.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:06 PM

17,614 posts, read 13,401,998 times
Damar Hamlin's Cardiac Arrest: A Cardiologist's Perspective

— Commotio cordis has rarely been described as the result of a tackle in football

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special...ng_News_Active

Quote:

There is another condition where the arteries that supply the heart muscle, the coronary arteries, have an abnormal connection and can ultimately cause a cardiac arrest.
Commotio cordis is a cardiac arrest after a blunt force trauma to the chest. It is thought that when the object, usually a ball, hits the chest, it hits it in a vulnerable cycle of the heart so that it begins an electrical instability and an arrhythmia, which we call ventricular fibrillation.

It's certainly hard to know just by looking at the video tapes. Commotio cordis is very unusual, it's rare. It has been described primarily with trauma to the chest with a ball, like a baseball or a softball, and tends to occur in young males, young being 15 or 16, that younger age. The reason for that is their chests haven't developed as much, so they're more susceptible to the blunt force of a ball.

It's described in lacrosse and, as I said, baseball and softball. It is not as well described or rarely is a result of a tackle in football. So, certainly people have talked about that as a cause, but we have no way of knowing with the information that we have now.

Prayers for Damar Hamlin, his family and fans.

Also for T Higgins, who tackled Damar. This will be with him (actually both of them, their teams and fans) the rest of their lives

MrsM and I were at the Race in Las Vegas where Dan Weldon crashed and died in front of us. The silence for almost two hours was deafening while we waited for news.

As a Bengals fan (who wasn't at the game) I have a strong idea as to what was going for fans and teams on both sides in the stands and all football fans watching on TV

Old 01-03-2023, 07:53 PM

307 posts, read 119,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I don’t think the game will be played. Nor do I think it should be. There’s more important things than trying to squeeze in this game. As a bills fan I don’t care if we are the 1, 2 or 3 seed. On the bright side of things, as a fan of the team, we have the luxury of not needing these last two games and still having the playoffs in hand.

It’s not a foregone conclusion that Kansas City will beat Las Vegas. So I say, just go by winning percentage and let the chips fall where they may.

The fairest thing may be if the bills end up with the three seed and Cincinnati, the two seed. That would mean the bills play at Cincinnati in the divisional round. On the road at Cincinnati is a game the bills would’ve had to win anyway to maintain a higher seed over the Bengals. So seems fair.

I agree with this 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football