Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,942 times

Advertisements

Hey, it could be worse. You could live in the regional broadcast area like me and have to watch them every week as one of the NFC games.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:34 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Hey, it could be worse. You could live in the regional broadcast area like me and have to watch them every week as one of the NFC games.
Talk about a downer.

Anywho...another zinger from the Lions yesterday.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:39 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
The Lions have a tradition of playing on Thanksgiving Day.

If you don't want to watch the Lions, use the remote to switch to a different channel or turn it off.

Since when is it the NFL's responsibility to provide you with teams you want to see on a holiday that falls on a Thursday ?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:52 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,061,713 times
I understand both sides of the arguement. So here is my idea, how about matching up the Lions against somebody who sucks as bad as they do so the game is more competative while setting up the next game more evenly. For example, yesterday's games would have been much more interesting if the first game was Oakland @ Detroit and the second game would have been Green Bay @ Dallas. That way, you still have the tradition of having the Detoit Kitty Cats on but they'd playing against another horrible team, so the games would have been a little closer. Nothing is worse than watching 2 games which are over by the 3rd quarter. Anyone agree?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:07 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I understand both sides of the arguement. So here is my idea, how about matching up the Lions against somebody who sucks as bad as they do so the game is more competative while setting up the next game more evenly. For example, yesterday's games would have been much more interesting if the first game was Oakland @ Detroit and the second game would have been Green Bay @ Dallas. That way, you still have the tradition of having the Detoit Kitty Cats on but they'd playing against another horrible team, so the games would have been a little closer. Nothing is worse than watching 2 games which are over by the 3rd quarter. Anyone agree?
The problem with that is the Raiders weren't on the Lions schedule, and the Packers game with Dallas this year was in Lambeau (and that can't be changed), but I see your point. I think the NFL sets Detroit and Dallas home games in stone, then tries to make the opponent a team with a big national following to drum up interest (esp. in Detroit's case). Green Bay and Oakland have pretty big national fan bases, although in Oakland's case I have no idea why.

I don't have a problem with the game (maybe because I"m a Packers fan, I'm more jovial and forgiving today). It's something to watch, and the Lions do have that train-wreck way about them that makes for darkly riveting viewing.

I believe every team gets at least one national TV game throughout the season, and in that case ESPN must be absolutely thrilled that Fox and CBS take turns taking this bullet for them every season.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
What kind of message were the Lions sending to Dante Culpepper yesterday??

I mean....geez Louise!!! Stafford could barely blink his eyes yesterday and kept getting pounded!!

Yet they have a healthy VETERAN QB standing on the sideline?????????

"We'd rather have a crippled rookie QB continue to play injured than put you in the game!"

That's what they told Culpepper. He needs to get out of there.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 AM

The NFL certainly does have the power to schedule good teams on Thanksgiving. The world will keep spinning if the Lions are not playing on turkey day. The Lions should NEVER be shown on national television...ever!!! Alot of people who don't normally watch football, watch football on Thanksgiving. And does the NFL really want to put their WORST product on center stage for all to see?

How many times do you see the KC Royals on national tv? Almost zero.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM

369 posts, read 777,251 times
Yes you must watch the Lions or the Cowboys...if you don't like it, don't watch football on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 AM

18,028 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well, maybe it's the NFL's way of letting us know they're still there.

Or maybe it's a vast government conspiracy.
Either that or it's just not about them anymore. It used to be the Lions vs. Dallas, didn't it?

Then the league saw the potential for more dollar signs, so they split those teams off to play other teams and now they've added a third. What's great about it is that we get to have our Thanksgiving with family, friends, the less fortunate, etc. and we have that on/off button and that channel changer on that Magic Twangeur...aka remote thingy.

So if you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. But then you'll miss the arguably best and most inspirational play of the year; Stafford begging to come back in to beat the Browns with a busted shoulder. Anybody see that?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 AM

Just changing the channel doesn't solve the situation. I'm amazed how some people can see past their nose.

The NFL could make ALOT more money by showing better teams. Period. The freaking 2008 Lions just got named the worst team EVER on the NFL Network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football