Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:34 AM

5,836 posts, read 5,640,033 times

Advertisements

This morning, I was presented with an interesting case study with how the Prescott/Romo situation is nearly identical to the Brady/Bledsoe situation 15 years ago. And in truth, there are so many parallels between the two...

Bledsoe probably was a lesser QB than Romo, but he had a better postseason record and had led his team to a Super Bowl. He also was 7 years younger than Romo and seemingly in his prime when his injury in '01 occurred. Both were well known for charisteristic turnover tendencies...

I was 12 when the Brady/Bledsoe deal went down. I'd like to hear from you all who are older than me with a clearer remembrance of the atmosphere and general thoughts at the time for that situation. How dis/similar was their situation to the Prescott/Romo situation? Would the Cowboys be wise in sticking with Prescott?

One thing I want to note, is that despite the Super Bowls, Brady didn't become an elite quarterback until around 2004 season; it took a few years of his game maturing and growing from a "game manager" to a superstar capable of carrying a team on his shoulders. Can you guys see Prescott with this same trajectory? Besides the read-option, isn't the play-calling and Dak's game really similar to '01 Brady?

2001 Tom Brady: 11-3 record, 86.5 QBR, 2843 yards, 63.9% comp, 18-12 Td-Int ratio, 12 fumbles (3 lost), sacked 41 times(!)

Can Dak emulate Tom's '01? Certainly, by all accounts, Brady wasn't as skilled out the gate as Prescott, and let's not forget Brady was in Year 2, he wasn't a rookie!

Compare and discuss, I'm interested in all opinions! Obviously, if Dak develops the way Brady does and wins and brings the rings to boot, I'm sure the Cowboys will take that deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 07:08 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Why is the Prescott/Romo situation similar to the Bledsoe/Brady situation?

Old 10-13-2016, 07:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Why is the Prescott/Romo situation similar to the Bledsoe/Brady situation?

Brady- Gisele Bundchen

Romo- Jessica Simpson

call me whacked but I prefer Jessica, seems she would be more fun and not such a princess

Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,580 times
I wouldn't say it's similar. It's no different than Kap and Alex Smith in San Fran. Most teams tend to go with the QB who's winning overall. If the QB is .500 then maybe you bring the once injured QB back in, but if your now starting QB has an overwhelming winning record, why mess with the chemistry? Cowboys' are on the cusp of something great (gosh I hate typing that) or they're going to have another meltdown. The way this team is constructed right now, I don't think there's room for another .500 season. Dak has potential and he's showing it when it matters most. He single-handedly could keep Garrett in his job (I've wanted Garrett gone for years).

I think the greatness cusp is Dak and I think the meltdown is Romo, if they were to switch QB's mid-season. Dak used Dez pre-season, but once regular season started, Dez was back to Dez. Hurt and on the sidelines. I say move Dez and Romo and get what you can for them. If Brock continues to stink in Houston, I'd make a run at DeAndre Hopkins to come to Dallas.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Brady- Gisele Bundchen

Romo- Jessica Simpson

call me whacked but I prefer Jessica, seems she would be more fun and not such a princess
Agreed!!! Plus, Jessica will probably actually have pizza and beer with you. Can't say that about Gisele!

Old 10-13-2016, 08:06 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times
Jessica all night, err all day!

Models are too skinny.

That said you guys are crazy if you don't see similarities.i do see two big differences in age with Romo being much older than Bledsoe's at the time.And second, I am guessing New England had a much better defense. And I guess third, a GOAT coach in the making. Will we say the same of Jason Garrett in 10 years?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Jessica all night, err all day!

Models are too skinny.

That said you guys are crazy if you don't see similarities.i do see two big differences in age with Romo being much older than Bledsoe's at the time.And second, I am guessing New England had a much better defense. And I guess third, a GOAT coach in the making. Will we say the same of Jason Garrett in 10 years?

OK, so we're crazy if we don't see the similarities. So, what, exactly, are the similarities?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:40 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
Regarding Brady and Bledsoe, a wild guess here.

What worked out great for Brady didn't work for Bledsoe. But I've always thought their relationship was good.

Drew Bledsoe didn't have a gun for an arm, he had a cannon. But until Belechick came along that supporting cast wasn't quite there for him. What WAS there for him was a powerhouse shot courtesy of the Jets Mo Lewis in a 2001 mid season game. There are youtubes out there that shows Lewis hitting him from the side. After the game Bledsoe complained of being light headed and nauseous. What he didn't know at the time was Lewis hit him so hard that a blood vessel in his upper chest basically cut in half. Bledsoe did get to the hospital on time, but it was a close call, a damn big time close call. Could have bled to death. Tom took over from Drew that year and everyone knows what happened after that.

Bledsoe signed with Buffalo the next year. The Patriot fans were appreciative of Drew's efforts when the Bills came to New England and would always give him a hand. Bledsoe went on to pass for nearly 45,000 yards in his career. He was the first pick in that 1993 draft and he was touted to be the next superstar. In his last 7 or 8 years his play dropped off somewhat-his qb rating was generally around 76.0 with a couple exceptions.

He did get one SB ring though. I wonder how his career would have turned out if it wasn't for Mo Lewis.

JMO.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-13-2016 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 10-13-2016, 10:33 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,964 times
Jessica.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Regarding Brady and Bledsoe, a wild guess here.

What worked out great for Brady didn't work for Bledsoe. But I've always thought their relationship was good.

Drew Bledsoe didn't have a gun for an arm, he had a cannon. But until Belechick came along that supporting cast wasn't quite there for him. What WAS there for him was a powerhouse shot courtesy of the Jets Mo Lewis in a 2001 mid season game. There are youtubes out there that shows Lewis hitting him from the side. After the game Bledsoe complained of being light headed and nauseous. What he didn't know at the time was Lewis hit him so hard that a blood vessel in his upper chest basically cut in half. Bledsoe did get to the hospital on time, but it was a close call, a damn big time close call. Could have bled to death. Tom took over from Drew that year and everyone knows what happened after that.

Bledsoe signed with Buffalo the next year. The Patriot fans were appreciative of Drew's efforts when the Bills came to New England and would always give him a hand. Bledsoe went on to pass for nearly 45,000 yards in his career. He was the first pick in that 1993 draft and he was touted to be the next superstar. In his last 7 or 8 years his play dropped off somewhat-his qb rating was generally around 76.0 with a couple exceptions.

He did get one SB ring though. I wonder how his career would have turned out if it wasn't for Mo Lewis.

JMO.
Honestly, I'm thinking the comparisons are more because people are hyping the idea that Prescott is going to lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl like Brady did when he took over for Bledsoe. Five games into the season, people are already comparing him to a future Hall of Famer. That's a bit ridiculous. This type of thread needs to be presented about six years down the road after we've seen if Dak is the next Tom Brady or not. Five games into the season, I'd say there's no comparison at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football