Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Super Bowl rings have nothing to do with how great a QB is. A team wins Super Bowls, not a single player. A player can have no Super Bowls and be the greatest in their particular position.

I hear people talk about the greatest players in other positions all the time and Super Bowl wins never come into play. But, when it comes to quarterbacks, it seems to be one of the top criteria. Yes, it is an important position but it is not that important. Even the greatest QB isnt going to win a SB if he doesnt have the supporting cast to do it.

Exactly, which is why I always get confused wgen someone says Mcnabb needs a SB ring to get into the HOF. NOT!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Well a year ago, I believe if you would have said ,"Drew Brees is going to take the Saints to the Superbowl and win it". Folks would have called you a damn fool idiot. In fact, what other QB in the NFL could have brought the Saints to the Superbowl and win it. Heck, 30 minutes before the game every national sportscaster, politician analyist former coach you stuck a camera in front of was saying the Saints didn't have a chance, Remember? Gee, best QB of all time, in New Orleans we already know the answer to that question. WHO DAT

Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
That's what I like about football.In basketball I don't think anyone will argue that Jordan was the best of all time with guys like Kobe and Lebron moving up.In football my pick is Dan Marino.He was a better passer then any of the other guys and his numbers are more impressive because all through his career he never had a star RB.If he did,the attack would have been balanced.Because he didn't the opposing team could guard against the pass,but he still put up the numbers he did.
I agree, Marino was the best I've ever seen as well.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
That's what I like about football.In basketball I don't think anyone will argue that Jordan was the best of all time with guys like Kobe and Lebron moving up.In football my pick is Dan Marino.He was a better passer then any of the other guys and his numbers are more impressive because all through his career he never had a star RB.If he did,the attack would have been balanced.Because he didn't the opposing team could guard against the pass,but he still put up the numbers he did.
Marino also lived with that rule where defensive backs could touch receives for 10 yards instead of the 5 yard rule now. You can only wonder how many more completions, yards, touchdowns and first downs he'd have with that.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Marino also lived with that rule where defensive backs could touch receives for 10 yards instead of the 5 yard rule now. You can only wonder how many more completions, yards, touchdowns and first downs he'd have with that.
Think of how many more TD's and yds he would have had if he had a Barry Sanders or an Emmitt Smith. The other team would have guarded against the rush and it would have left it wide open for a pass. That's what makes his numbers more impressive then most.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:26 AM

Marino was also the one who "made" Duper and Clayton, two average to slightly above average receivers. Imagine if he had Rice, Carter, or Monk.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 AM

And Drew Brees has a Rice, Carter, or Monk. I just love the way he spreads the ball around, like no other QB in the league & oh yea Superbowl wins definitely count. Hope Brees can pull a few more over the next few years. It has a lot to do with chemistry & getting player's to play above there abilities, that's just the way it is.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:33 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Brees also had decent receivers but unlike Marino,he did have a running game.The possibility that you are going to run the ball opens it up for the passing game.If the defense knows you're going to pass every down,they can guard against it. That's what made Marino so good. They knew he was going to throw it,and he had to have pinpoint accuracy and get it to the receivers quick because there wasn't going to be a surprise run.Guys like Brees,Aikmen,Montana,Kelly,Elway,Young,Manning, and Favre all have or had running games. Some were better then others,but it makes it much easier for the QB with that balanced attack. Marino #1 and nothing is going to change that.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Brees had 2 unrestricted undrafted free agents running the ball, his favorite reciever is a 7th round draft choice. Brees creates a running game by spreading the ball all over the field hitting 6 or 7 recievers in a drive and getting the defense all out of rythm. Terry Bradshaw was a truely great QB it's called chemistry and getting average ballplayers to compete at all-pro levels, the same knack Brees hAS WITH THE TEAMS HE HAS BEEN A PART OF. It's ashame, but read what Vince Limbardi say's about being no one, it has to do with winning championships and that will never change.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
And Drew Brees has a Rice, Carter, or Monk. I just love the way he spreads the ball around, like no other QB in the league & oh yea Superbowl wins definitely count. Hope Brees can pull a few more over the next few years. It has a lot to do with chemistry & getting player's to play above there abilities, that's just the way it is.
No one is taking anything away from Brees, it's just too soon to be touting his greatness or place in NFL history. Give it some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football