Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM

270 posts, read 387,642 times

Advertisements

How do you go about buidling your self esteem and confidence? What are some steps that can be taken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyj19 View Post
How do you go about buidling your self esteem and confidence? What are some steps that can be taken?

improving other areas in your life, going to the gym, exercising, joining clubs, interacting with people

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Here is what I said on another thread the other day, hopefully you will be willing to learn from it

To gain self-worth, you only have to be willing to earn it.

This means you accept the truth that life is hard.

And acceptance of that truth means you stop fighting it by complaining about how "unfair" that is.

Because life IS hard, only those willing to do the work to believe in themselves and sustain themselves emotionally when they feel all alone in the world will actually overcome their low self-esteem.

You have to be willing to change the things you're doing that aren't working.

And change can be a painful process.

Benjamin Franklin said, pain instructs.

If you aren't using your personal pain to learn and grow, then you are not going to have good self-esteem.

In the adult world, self esteem is built through personal achievement and daily acts of effort.

You simply have to push yourself to take on new tasks, new challenges and stick with them until you succeed.

The success will supply you with self-esteem.

Giving up before success is achieved will rob you of it.

These are all choices only you can make for yourself. I hope you do and I wish you the best in building yourself up

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Accomplishing a goal, small and/or large. Doing well for yourself in all areas of your life (or most areas).

Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 AM

And one more thing...

COMPETENCE
BUILDS CONFIDENCE.

The more you do something, the more competent you can/will become at it.

The more competent you are, the more confidence you will have

Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
To me - the first step is realizing that everyone struggles with self-esteem and self-confidence issues to some extent. Knowing that you aren't alone in this can sometimes help to overcome it. Even the most beautiful, successful, glamorous people suffer from self-doubt and unhappiness from time to time. It's normal.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,584 times
Quote:
The first step is to address what the cause of your self esteem issues and lack of confidence are.

Before you figure that out nothing you do will be able to help.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
improving other areas in your life, going to the gym, exercising, joining clubs, interacting with people
Basically, GET BUSY doing.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 AM

270 posts, read 387,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post

Thanks...I workout at home and take care of my body but I Decided to join the gym with my best friend so at least i get out and about..going to try to get out and be more social

Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,838 times
Don't think so much about yourself, think of others....live a worthwhile life, be busy - be kind to yourself when you fail (you are only human), rest....work, love, pray, give. You will be able to look at yourself in the mirror and see someone who IS unique and competent. Confidence comes with time......happiness comes when we are not actively looking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology