Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times

Advertisements

Do you think that a lot of americans have low self esteem.

I asked this because the terms self esteem and self confidence are thrown around a lot in today's society. My parents grew up in the the 70's and early 80's and these terms weren't so chic back then. I can't help but think that if the topic of self esteem and self confidence is brought up so much in this society then I can't help but think that it's lacking.

Another thing to consider is the self help industry. Yeah industry, I'm sure self help books have always been around but nothing like it is today where people are making full fledged living off of being life coaches and doing tours.

This is all just my opinion so there's no need to get prickly. I'm just 26 myself so a lot of you older folks know more then I do. I just wonder what all of your thoughts are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,489 times
In todays society the problem isn't " low self -esteem." The problem in modern society is that people are always thinking about themselves to much. Their mind is always on themselves and what they can do for themselves. The self-esteem movement was created by therapists and such.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
"feet of clay"

There is a growing recognition that this notion applies to a lot more than was previously thought.
Worse... that it may even apply to *you*.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Self esteem just because you "are" is without substance. I find the issue watered down and highly overrated. As used and pleaded, it too often ranks right up there with a broken nail.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,415 times
The 20 and even some of the 30 somethings out there have such huge egos that you wonder if they know what humility is. The saddest part is ,if you try to speak to them about humility their reaction is " ain,t nobody gonna humiliate me".

Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
The 20 and even some of the 30 somethings out there have such huge egos that you wonder if they know what humility is. The saddest part is ,if you try to speak to them about humility their reaction is " ain,t nobody gonna humiliate me".
Yeah! Don't you be disrespectin' 'em!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:33 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
In today's world, everything is about children and their "self esteem". Don't spank, it will make them feel worthless. No challenges, for those who do not "win" first, second or third place, will have their self esteem damaged. All participants are rewarded. A child is "active", gotta medicate to control because we don't want them to experience life and be disappointed, or have to, God forbid, discipline them. Can't damage that self esteem. Sooooooooooooooooo many NEW diagnosis' since the 1970's in the practice of human behavior. I have no problem with this, but where was it when my husband and his sister were growing up and needed it? Their adult lives now are terrible, and there is no help for them "in the system", I have tried to find rehab or support groups for mental illness treatment but surprise, all that pop up are for drug and alcohol rehab/treatment facilities. Their self esteem was damaged so bad that they both pretty much have none. How do I get them help?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,680 times
Here’s a simple exercise that everybody can do. Over the next day or two, make a note at how many advertisements you’re bombarded with from audio, video, and printed material real and virtual. It’s all geared towards being young, beautiful, and thin/fit/in shape. Average looking people are rarely used in movies, advertisements, and the like. In addition to this, we’re told that if we don’t have a good job, a nice house in the suburbs, and live in certain areas, we’re supposed to strive to achieve all that. It’s possible if you only work hard enough. If we don’t wear X jeans, drive Y car, and all that the advertising community does to sell us on a certain lifestyle, we’re lead to believe that there’s something wrong with us. We’re often told how we should believe, and if our belief system goes against popular opinion that’s been fabricated via propaganda, we’re bad people for having independent thought. Even in politics we’re told what we should believe. Most of these things are simply out of reach for many people, so they’re stuck on an endless treadmill destination frustration and low self-esteem.

Is it any wonder why so many people suffer from poor self body image, social image, and the like? We’re basically told that we’re losers several times every waking minute for a variety of reasons that are beyond our control.

One good example is obesity. A person’s weight is probably the touchiest subject. I’ve heard a lot of people talk about fat people being lazy. I’m sure many are, but the lion’s share are probably fat due to their diet. Control what you eat is what many people tell fatties. If one eats healthy, it’s expensive. It’s often cheaper to just eat Twinkies or go to some fast food restaurant and shop on the dollar menu. For many poor people, eating healthy is out of their budget, but they’re told how they’re fat because they’re lazy, don’t want to exercise, and they can’t control their diet…

I wish I could explain it better, and I may be well off base, but this how I feel about America's dilemma on low self-esteem

Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM

507 posts, read 1,537,355 times
I agree with the above poster on many points. Modern media is our own worst enemy. Why were there 200 camera people at Kim Kardashians multimillion dollar wedding, and why am I being forced to know about it just because I'm trying to read the NEWS??

Celebrity worship is out of control, and the "standards" are so unhealthy and shallow that I wonder why it doesn't change, it just gets worse.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,272 times
Definitely, great points above.

"Advertising is the process of robbing people of their self respect, then selling it back to them"

People in ads/movies/etc are nothing like people in real life. NOTHING. nothing even like the actors who portray them, their lines are all scripted, the camera angles and makeup make them look larger than life, their situations are all set up to be as impressive as possible. The overall effect is that when people see these things, and compare them with their own life, they feel insignificant. It's like women comparing themselves to airbrushed models in magazines, it's totally devoid of reality, but it leaves you feeling like less of a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology